Who else is optimistic about the 2024 season?

Are you excited for 2024 Gopher Football?

• Total voters
I answered "I don't know" because I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I think we'll have a better team than last year's but I don't know how many wins will result. It's a tough schedule, that's for sure, but I expect they'll all be pretty tough in the expanded conference.

I'm realistic enough to realize winning the BIG is out of the question in my lifetime.
Correct, sadly, with how it works now.

If they did a hard salary cap and a draft, then at least we would be on a level playing field.

But even that hasn’t helped the Vikings …

Wins may not improve with the tougher opponents but the overall team play will defiantly improve. Win Lose or Draw PJ's team will be a pleasure to watch. Spring ball should tell us a lot especially with the new QB. Lets hope he does not switch to LB like the Community College QB transfer did.

I think they’ll win 6-8 games. My only disappointment is that Bosmer only has one year. Hard to think of it as a building year when you know going in the QB is gone at the end

As with all of Minnesota football teams Im cautiously optimistic, 45 plus years of being a fan will do that to a guy.

I think they’ll win 6-8 games. My only disappointment is that Bosmer only has one year. Hard to think of it as a building year when you know going in the QB is gone at the end
There is no "building" in college football, with the broken system.

Starting 22 are going to completely change over every 1-2 years.

All you can do is follow a school and the school's uniform. The bodies in them for a particular year are just going to be meaningless names. Here today, gone tomorrow

Always optimistic. Can't wait for Spring practices.

Sad how much of everything hinges on one player in football but it really does come down to the QB position. If Brosmer is the upgrade we think he will be there is a good chance that we can be good next year given that all of our top guys seem to be coming back and not jumping into the portal.

Granted there is still another portal window to contend with but so far the 2023/4 portal cycle has been very much in our favor in terms of who we have lost and who we have brought in.
AK was bad and it won’t take much to be an upgrade, but how good do you expect him to be? Honestly?

Sad how much of everything hinges on one player in football but it really does come down to the QB position. If Brosmer is the upgrade we think he will be there is a good chance that we can be good next year given that all of our top guys seem to be coming back and not jumping into the portal.

Granted there is still another portal window to contend with but so far the 2023/4 portal cycle has been very much in our favor in terms of who we have lost and who we have brought in.
And here's the thing, we have an absolute stud at running back who defenses absolutely have to account for, so if we have basic competence at qb we should have a really good year offensively. I know people have knocked the oline a lot over the yesrs for missed or blown assignments, penalties, etc, but our offensive line has generally been good to great since Fleck got here. I expect that to continue. Competent qb play and a defense that doesn't give up massive chunk plays like they did last year will lead to a result that should make us objectively happy at the end of the year.

I wish I had kept some of the posts from a year ago when AK was considered the star of the future as B is now. Fans are always optimistic about the next QB. I hope B is as helpful as predicted and that Lindsey is a good replacement and stays with the program.
Me too. All the “sling it” or “fling it” whatever the goofballs were flaunting was way over the top. Going from New Hampshire to the BIG is a big step. Fleck was not able to bring in the right guy to replace Tanner. Maybe B will change that and Lindsay will be for real.

Wins may not improve with the tougher opponents but the overall team play will defiantly improve. Win Lose or Draw PJ's team will be a pleasure to watch. Spring ball should tell us a lot especially with the new QB. Lets hope he does not switch to LB like the Community College QB transfer did.
But does it really? (Spring ball that is). Remember how Spring ball last year revealed that AK was the "Man" and would lead us to the promised land? And BSF was an all world TE? People always say "We'll know a lot more after Spring Ball" But do we really? Optimism is high after Spring Ball, but it's no crystal ball for things to come.

6 wins is the best case scenario but unlikely:

N. Carolina-Toss Up. Rebuilding after Maye and the wandering WR.
RI-Win
Nevada-Win
Iowa-Loss. Adding the QB back into the mix and a competent OC to go with their recent defensive prowess will make them tough.
Michigan-Loss
USC-Loss
UCLA-Toss Up. Rebuilding program but on the road and a must win game for them.
Maryland-Toss Up. New QB but talented and athletic and they throw the ball all over the yard. Gopher secondary is a weak spot.
Illinois-Loss. Never beaten Bert and it's in Champaign.
Rutgers-Loss. Strong defensive team. On the rise. On the road.
Penn State-Loss
Wisconsin-Loss. Lost to the bad version of their team last year at home. Hard to see winning in Madison v. an improved team.

All of this is compounded by a thin roster and a program with a history of injuries. Not to mention those who will transfer out after spring ball when they realize they aren't the guy.

I wish I had kept some of the posts from a year ago when AK was considered the star of the future as B is now. Fans are always optimistic about the next QB. I hope B is as helpful as predicted and that Lindsey is a good replacement and stays with the program.
The difference is Brosmer has a record of proven success at the D1 (albeit FCS) level. AK had a poor statistical season that fans (including myself) were ignoring by focusing on his best games and disregarding his bad games. Put differently, optimism around Brosmer is hope based on results, optimism around AK was just hoping for results.

6 wins is the best case scenario but unlikely:

N. Carolina-Toss Up. Rebuilding after Maye and the wandering WR.
RI-Win
Nevada-Win
Iowa-Loss. Adding the QB back into the mix and a competent OC to go with their recent defensive prowess will make them tough.
Michigan-Loss
USC-Loss
UCLA-Toss Up. Rebuilding program but on the road and a must win game for them.
Maryland-Toss Up. New QB but talented and athletic and they throw the ball all over the yard. Gopher secondary is a weak spot.
Illinois-Loss. Never beaten Bert and it's in Champaign.
Rutgers-Loss. Strong defensive team. On the rise. On the road.
Penn State-Loss
Wisconsin-Loss. Lost to the bad version of their team last year at home. Hard to see winning in Madison v. an improved team.

All of this is compounded by a thin roster and a program with a history of injuries. Not to mention those who will transfer out after spring ball when they realize they aren't the guy.
Always nice when new posters show up and bring some real positivity to the board. Good lord man, it’s the off season, it’s the time of year where it is ok to have hope.

It is February and you have already thrown in the towel.

With all the roster turnover we have no clue how teams are going to look in 2024. But you seem to be working under the assumption that basically everyone else besides us is getting better.

Is it really that important to you to crap on other people that you wish you had posts to mock people that had hope AK would live up to the hype?

in regards to Brosmer, people aren’t looking to him to be a star they are looking to him to provide competent play at the QB position. Who knows how his game will translate but with his experience it isn’t crazy to think he will at minimum be decent With the hope for more.

No one thought NW would do jack S last year. They went to a bowl.

You never know

But does it really? (Spring ball that is). Remember how Spring ball last year revealed that AK was the "Man" and would lead us to the promised land? And BSF was an all world TE? People always say "We'll know a lot more after Spring Ball" But do we really? Optimism is high after Spring Ball, but it's no crystal ball for things to come.
I think we did learn a lot about AK in the spring game. He came out cold and inconsistent, throwing poorly and missing open receivers. Cole Kramer, with much less arm, was completing passes one after another. I think we saw a lot in the first 1st Half of the spring game. Kramer is a great kid, and a great contributor, but simply not a B1G-level passing QB. But he out-dueled AK for quite a while--a very bad omen. Maybe you remember the game differently than me.

Last edited:

Can I buy a vowel?

_ _ T W _TH _K

_N W_TH M_X BR_SM_R

AK was bad and it won’t take much to be an upgrade, but how good do you expect him to be? Honestly?
Doubt he will be as good as peak Tanner but hopefully a completion % in the low to mid 60s. Which would be a huge upgrade from AK.

I think the first game of the season is often very revealing. The Nebraska opener last year, which we won in the closing minutes on a near miracle catch by Jackson (on a late/over-thrown corner route), portended a struggle in toss-up games. The Gophs' opener this year, against UNC, should be an eye opener one way or the other. Last year we sent out AK against a 5*, future first round draft pick Drake Maye. The results played out at the edge of expectations for each QB--high for Maye, low for AK. This year we send out Brosmer, with a transfer rating of 4* 0.90, against Max Johnson (Brad's kid), with a transfer rating of 3* 0.87. Neither of these probable starting QBs has yet taken a game snap for their new team. If we win the QB duel (which is a reasonable possibility) or simply "break even" in the QB match-up, I think we have a very good chance in this game, a home game before a probable sell-out crowd, regardless of where the oddsmakers put the spread. Go Gophers.

Top Bottom