Who do you have as your Gameday guest picker?

Decker is a GREAT pick. Born and raised Minnesotan. Can't believe we had so many here hoping for a theatrical wrestler.

Decker is a GREAT pick. Born and raised Minnesotan. Can't believe we had so many here hoping for a theatrical wrestler.
Seriously? The guy won a national title in and for the maroon and gold. Decker had a nice tenure at the U, but less championships than Lesnar.

Seriously? The guy won a national title in and for the maroon and gold. Decker had a nice tenure at the U, but less championships than Lesnar.
This...so much this! One of the greatest Gophers sporting events I've witnessed in person was the National Duals championship in Iowa City which Lesnar clinched with this:

Is it better for the program if they showcase a wrestling champ, or a former Gopher football player who had a very successful NFL career? One of the reasons we lose out on some local kids is because they think they’ll have a better shot at making it to the NFL elsewhere. It’s probably the biggest reason, tbh. I’m baffled by the Decker negativity.

Last edited:

Eric Decker will do great.

Just as long as it is a University of Minnesota alumni I was always fine with the pick.

Some people were saying that it should be Joe Mauer who didn't even go to the U.

Personally I'm pumped that Decker is doing it. Is there a lot of negativity floating around about it? If so, that's weird. I would've loved Lesnar as well and only posted the vid above because somebody referred to him as "a theatrical wrestler." Pffft...

Personally I'm pumped that Decker is doing it. Is there a lot of negativity floating around about it? If so, that's weird. I would've loved Lesnar as well and only posted the vid above because somebody referred to him as "a theatrical wrestler." Pffft...

There’s some negativity on Twitter. The reaction is mixed, at best. It’s mostly people who wanted Brock, Bud, or someone else. Looking at Decker’s Twitter account, I’d say he’s been as supportive of the program and Fleck as anyone. Is Lesnar even a Gopher football fan?

I love Decker but he never beat wisconsin. Give me Rickey Foggie who never lost to the Skunks!

Is it better for the program if they showcase a wrestling champ, or a former Gopher football player who had a very successful NFL career? One of the reasons we lose out on some local kids is because they think they’ll have a better shot at making it to the NFL elsewhere. It’s probably the biggest reason, tbh. I’m baffled by the Decker negativity.
I don't agree with you for this simple reason: we're talking about GameDay, an entertainment show. It would have been better, more fun, for an entertainer. Guarantee Decker will be boring.

The actual thing that matters, as far as getting recruits, is that we WIN today, and then go on to WIN the Rose Bowl!

I don't agree with you for this simple reason: we're talking about GameDay, an entertainment show. It would have been better, more fun, for an entertainer. Guarantee Decker will be boring.

The actual thing that matters, as far as getting recruits, is that we WIN today, and then go on to WIN the Rose Bowl!

Do you have any evidence that Brock Lesnar gives a sh*t about Gopher football?

Stupid. Decker > Lesnar 10X. It's not even close.

Looks like the "Bear" is the only one smart enough to wear something on his head.

That never worked very well for Wisconsin. Weather and minority presence on campus are bigger factors for recruits. Barry Alvarez has said that he could sign more kids if he had them in Madison in June. Most Southern players will never play Up Nort unless they make it on a pro team.

That never worked very well for Wisconsin. Weather and minority presence on campus are bigger factors for recruits. Barry Alvarez has said that he could sign more kids if he had them in Madison in June. Most Southern players will never play Up Nort unless they make it on a pro team.
If Fleck ever wants to make Minnesota something bigger than perennial West title contenders (ie, Wisconsin), he'll have to get guys from around the country who haven't come to Minnesota since the 60's (which was because we were one of the first schools to allow blacks to play).

If Fleck ever wants to make Minnesota something bigger than perennial West title contenders (ie, Wisconsin), he'll have to get guys from around the country who haven't come to Minnesota since the 60's (which was because we were one of the first schools to allow blacks to play).

What's the minority student percentage at the U of M? If it's low that doesn't help in recruiting the Southern black athlete. Or so I've gleaned from seeing it discussed over the years. Even so, the better players will still gravitate to the UMs, the OSUs or PSUs.

What's the minority student percentage at the U of M? If it's low that doesn't help in recruiting the Southern black athlete. Or so I've gleaned from seeing it discussed over the years. Even so, the better players will still gravitate to the UMs, the OSUs or PSUs.
Not sure about that. Rod Smith, Shannon Brooks, Bateman ... all from Georgia.

MSP-ATL flights are plentiful and cheap.

I wonder if this is what Bert Bielema meant by in state recruiting. For any that missed it I have game day on DVD.

I wonder if this is what Bert Bielema meant by in state recruiting. For any that missed it I have game day on DVD.

You still own a DVD player?

You still own a DVD player?

Yep. Had a DVR and ditched it. I suppose if someone DVRd it then it could get uploaded to YouTube where it will likely get AXED for copyright violation. Hard to do that with a DVD copy. Seeing how the game turned out some of the shine has maybe disappeared from the GameDay deal.

Last edited:

Bumping this thread in case there was anyone not mentioned in the 12 pages???

Not the one that lost the last gameday game..... Yes I'm being childish.

Chip Lohmiller - Kicked the 1986 game winning FG.

Darrell Thompson - Also, on the 1986 LBJ winning team. Big 10 record 98-yd TD run against Michigan in 1987.

Brock Lesnar with a running clothesline on Trump in a Meatchicken jersey is my preferred opening.

Follow that with Biden explaining why he believes small business owners and the working class should help fund social programs that pay lazy, work-eligible people that prefer not to work to stay home.

Then, remind me of the fact that for the second straight Presidential election, I have to choose to cheer for either Wisconsin or Iowa and I’ll be ready to storm the field myself after that proposed Game Day opener.

Top Bottom