Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters
I'm all in with you on this.

We have gotten no pressure for years up the middle and can't stop the run up the middle either.

It's a huge need. HUGE

Could you trade back a few spots from there and still get him?
Maybe. It's risky, and his talent level is worthy of pick 11. Just take him and be excited.

I'm not crazy about Nix - and I fully admit it's because Nix is not the "sexy" pick at QB. Penix has more risk, but I think Penix has more upside. Nix seems like a "safer" choice at QB. Less likely to make the big, splashy play, but possibly also less likely to hurt you with a bad play or an injury. Nix can make the short, safe completion, but he's probably not going to throw the 50-yard on a dime over-the-shoulder dart to Jefferson.

BUT - given coaching by McConnell and McCown, I think Nix can be a serviceable QB. Probably not a star or a top-15 QB, but serviceable.

I would take Murphy at 11 then trade back further in first round to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Take a CB late in round 1 and the Tulane QB with the 2nd or 3rd rounder (whichever they acquire) then an IOL in 4th round.

The more I think about our picks, I would prefer to keep our picks and not trade (up to) 3 top picks, to move up to pick a QB, and let them sit for a year.

There is a chance that Sam Darnold may have a good season, with the weapons we have.
Remember that Nick Mullens threw for approx 400 yards in two different games last year.

We have gotten no pressure for years up the middle and can't stop the run up the middle either.
Harrison Phillips is a great run stopper (though correct not much pass pressure … are NG’s supposed to??)

So per usual you make half your crap up

What grade would we give these results?

11. DT Byron Murphy
23. QB Bo Nix
I’d rather just take two defense in this scenario, but if we “have to” then this is fine.

Nix isn’t any better a pro prospect than Kellen Mond was, but they checked the box with draft rubes.

I’d honestly rather try the Tulane guy. Throwing and decision making talent is everything in KOC’s offense.

Harrison Phillips is a great run stopper (though correct not much pass pressure … are NG’s supposed to??)

So per usual you make half your crap up
Then pass on Murphy I guess. Pass on Newton, also

I don't think you and I watch the same games.

I would take Murphy at 11 then trade back further in first round to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Take a CB late in round 1 and the Tulane QB with the 2nd or 3rd rounder (whichever they acquire) then an IOL in 4th round.
That's what I'd prefer to do as well.

Pick/Team/Player (Alt Pick)

1. CHI - Caleb Williams (Tyler Nubin)

2. WAS - Jaden Daniels (Drake Maye)

3. NE - J.J. McCarthy (Drake Maye)

4. NYG * - Drake Maye (J.J. McCarthy)

5. LAC - Mark Alt (Marvin Harrison)

6. ARI * - Marvin Harrison (Malik Nabers)

7. TEN - Malik Nabers (Taliese Fuaga)

8. ATL - Dallas Turner (Rome Odunze)

9. CHI - Rome Odunze (Taliese Fuaga)

10. NYJ - Taliese Fuaga (Brock Bowers)

11. MIN -

What now?

Pray to the draft gods that they don’t mess up tonight. That’s all I got 😃.

I'm not crazy about Nix - and I fully admit it's because Nix is not the "sexy" pick at QB. Penix has more risk, but I think Penix has more upside. Nix seems like a "safer" choice at QB. Less likely to make the big, splashy play, but possibly also less likely to hurt you with a bad play or an injury. Nix can make the short, safe completion, but he's probably not going to throw the 50-yard on a dime over-the-shoulder dart to Jefferson.

BUT - given coaching by McConnell and McCown, I think Nix can be a serviceable QB. Probably not a star or a top-15 QB, but serviceable.

I know us fans love the Deep Ball, but how important is it, really?

How many times in a given season does any QB complete a 50 yard (in the air) pass?

I don't think you and I watch the same games.
It doesn’t surprise me at all that you don’t watch Vikings games.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/harrison-phillips/48690

He was brought in to be a run stopper on the DL interior. He does an excellent job of that. No one who knows football is going to dispute that.

Pass rush from interior is much more likely to come from the 3T than a NG. I didn’t comment about pass rush, that’s not what Phillips is for.

I’m fine with you saying you want an interior guy who plays like Donald or Jones on passing downs. Great, sounds good

It doesn’t surprise me at all that you don’t watch Vikings games.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/harrison-phillips/48690

He was brought in to be a run stopper on the DL interior. He does an excellent job of that. No one who knows football is going to dispute that.

Pass rush from interior is much more likely to come from the 3T than a NG. I didn’t comment about pass rush, that’s not what Phillips is for.

I’m fine with you saying you want an interior guy who plays like Donald or Jones on passing downs. Great, sounds good
I never mentioned Phillips. You did!

I never mentioned Phillips.
You exactly implied we had no run stopper on the DL interior, which I proved false.

You can take an L now and then.

You exactly implied we had no run stopper on the DL interior, which I proved false.

You can take an L now and then.
i'm thinking more than one would be nice

Are you against drafting newton?

The Vikings supposedly did a massive cost benefit analysis and determined that the resources required to trade up for Maye or McCarthy is not worth it.

They're supposedly sticking at 11 and letting the chips fall where they may, unless a QB drops very close in order to them.

The Vikings supposedly did a massive cost benefit analysis and determined that the resources required to trade up for Maye or McCarthy is not worth it.

They're supposedly sticking at 11 and letting the chips fall where they may, unless a QB drops very close in order to them.
Good, I hope this is true. I agree with it. Chance to grab 2 difference makers in 1st round.

Murphy 🪄 Magic

I don’t know anyone, nor have I read or heard any fan, say they want to trade up for a QB.

Anyone else? It’s all just writers.

I don’t know anyone, nor have I read or heard any fan, say they want to trade up for a QB.

I would consider it if you could get Williams or Daniel's, but that's it and the Bears and Commanders are not trading out. I wonder if pick 3, 5 & 6 will actually be QB'S or those teams are trying to smokescreen those interested in a QB to increase value of a trade. I could see JJ, Maye & others slide.

my impression is that a lot of fans would like to get one of the top QB's - but at the same time, they don't want the team to give up too much in order to trade up.

I mean, we are all fans on this site. It is, by definition, a fan site. and I think a fair # of people on this site want the Vikes to find the QB of the future. If they have to trade up to find the QBOTF, so be it. If they can sit there at #11 and a QB falls to them, even better.

but the worst-case scenario is this: the Vikes somehow come away from the draft without getting one of the top QB's, and we go through this whole deal again next year - only with a much thinner QB draft class.

so as a fan, I definitely want to see the Vikes land one of the top QB's tonight - however they have to do it.

my impression is that a lot of fans would like to get one of the top QB's - but at the same time, they don't want the team to give up too much in order to trade up.

I mean, we are all fans on this site. It is, by definition, a fan site. and I think a fair # of people on this site want the Vikes to find the QB of the future. If they have to trade up to find the QBOTF, so be it. If they can sit there at #11 and a QB falls to them, even better.

but the worst-case scenario is this: the Vikes somehow come away from the draft without getting one of the top QB's, and we go through this whole deal again next year - only with a much thinner QB draft class.

so as a fan, I definitely want to see the Vikes land one of the top QB's tonight - however they have to do it.
Maybe. You never know how next year's class will pan out or who might come out early. They will also have a ton of cap money so they could go after a free agent QB. Just don't want them to reach.

Top Bottom