Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters
I’ll roll with him and he’s gonna be a winner for any team that drafts him; tough times don’t last, but tough people do.
He seems like the perfect risk for the Raiders to take at 13. I'd prefer him over JJ and definitely Maye.

True dat, but the counter is, he was in a God awful team, which had 2 or 3 O-Coordinators in his first three seasons, didn’t have a true number one receiver this year (until they traded for DJ. Moore for this season). And a franchise whose best QB is McMahon, horrible.

Mike Tomlin isn’t anyone’s fool and that trade doesn’t happen without his blessing; I’ll roll with his judgment over you, me or anyone else on this board. Last time I checked, he’s the only one who has a SB on his CV as a coach😃 - I can be humble occasionally🤫

I knew there was one here!!! You can find a Fields apologist just about anywhere you look.

It was everything else, it couldn't have been him, so much working against him. Do you think things were worse for Fields in Chicago than they were for Darnold (or Zach Wilson for that matter) with the NY Jets? The Bears for the most part at least had serviceable OL play in the last couple years. The NY Jets has been epically bad for quite some time. Propaganda works, no doubt; the NFL media propaganda machine for players like Fields and Penix will always be working overtime to deliver this kind of reaction and support.

Do you really think after three years, and 40, FORTY, NFL games, that the personnel people in the NFL don't have a pretty good read on what Fields is capable of by NOW? For reals? The NFL told you exactly what they think of Fields a couple months ago; a 6th round draft pick. They are trying to tell you what kind of player he is. We should listen.

I knew there was one here!!! You can find a Fields apologist just about anywhere you look.

It was everything else, it couldn't have been him, so much working against him. Do you think things were worse for Fields in Chicago than they were for Darnold (or Zach Wilson for that matter) with the NY Jets? The Bears for the most part at least had serviceable OL play in the last couple years. The NY Jets has been epically bad for quite some time. Propaganda works, no doubt; the NFL media propaganda machine for players like Fields and Penix will always be working overtime to deliver this kind of reaction and support.

Do you really think after three years, and 40, FORTY, NFL games, that the personnel people in the NFL don't have a pretty good read on what Fields is capable of by NOW? For reals? The NFL told you exactly what they think of Fields a couple months ago; a 6th round draft pick. They are trying to tell you what kind of player he is. We should listen.

For what Pittsburgh gave up for him, a conditional 6th rounder that at worse becomes a 4th rounder, it’s worth a flyer.

My “confidence” in the move is based on Mike Tomlin’s judgement and not mine or yours; I’m sorry if it offends you thst he might be a better evaluator of NFzl talent than the either of us.

Who knows? Maybe he only needs the right team, coach = fit.

Former NFL RAIDER MVP Rich Gannon says hey 👋. Are you really a Raiders fan? 😗

That's a good question really! I'm a season ticket holder, not necessarily a huge "fan". Vikings fan probably first and foremost, the Cardinals are a close 2nd though after being a season ticket holder for about 18 years now(?). The Raiders? Meh, they're Vegas' team now, I have season tickets, but don't care a whole lot about what they do really.

I would say though, that this town would be absolutely incredible if the Raiders were great. And I think it could happen at SOME point. But much like the Golden Knights, with this being such a transient town, everyone is from everywhere, and being the entertainment capital of the world, Allegiant Stadium will never, ever have this massive home field advantage. There will always be massive numbers of visiting fans, and that's great, great for the economy, good for business!!

No one melted down in the slightest, and Addison ended up far exceeding expectations
Your first post after the pick was something along the lines of fu-- Kwesi or something like that.

You were so wrong last year I could cry.

You seem to know everything again this year.

I'll file it.

Your first post after the pick was something along the lines of fu-- Kwesi or something like that.
I don't remember, you could easily be making that up.

Not at all a "meltdown".

You seem to know everything again this year.
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that drafting a QB in the first round has the same odds of winning the lottery, these days. Bust after bust.

I don't remember, you could easily be making that up.

Not at all a "meltdown".

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that drafting a QB in the first round has the same odds of winning the lottery, these days. Bust after bust.
No defender will bust. We've been seeing this for years with the Vikings.

that's the beauty of it.

No defender will bust.
Same old troll excrement. You’ve been defeated on this non-point 10x and still lie by continuing to bring it up.

Drafting the first defensive player in the draft isn’t comparable to the past

For what Pittsburgh gave up for him, a conditional 6th rounder that at worse becomes a 4th rounder, it’s worth a flyer.

My “confidence” in the move is based on Mike Tomlin’s judgement and not mine or yours; I’m sorry if it offends you thst he might be a better evaluator of NFzl talent than the either of us.

Who knows? Maybe he only needs the right team, coach = fit.

Tomlin is obviously an accomplished coach, but there’s no evidence to believe he’s some sort of QB whisperer. He spent a first round pick on Kenny Pickett after all. That organization’s QB situation has been a mess ever since Big Ben retired.

LV contacted WAS about #2 so apparently they can be considered a "competitor" to try to move up. Daniels HAS to be the target and the only guy worth trading up for IMO.

My nightmare scenario is using assets to trade up for Maye...which means it's sure to happen.

Vikings are not in the top QB race this year. Said that a while ago.

Our pick is too far out and our ownership are too sane and grounded to waste future firsts to compete with other desperate, stupid owners or owners closer to the top.

We won’t draft any of the “top 4”.

GOOD

LV contacted WAS about #2 so apparently they can be considered a "competitor" to try to move up. Daniels HAS to be the target and the only guy worth trading up for IMO.

My nightmare scenario is using assets to trade up for Maye...which means it's sure to happen.
Maye and Daniels both intrigue me, but not enough to give up what it would take to get into the top 3. I wouldn't love McCarthy at #11, but I would absolutely hate moving into the top 5 for him.

I don't see a way we get a QB that is worth the price tag in this draft, just my thoughts.

Take a look at the Vikings and KOC's offense, and then take a look at Cousins. You could argue that a player like Cousins is as close to a blueprint for what KOC wants in a QB; someone who can make quick reads, stand in the pocket, deliver the ball on time, and throw people open. Which of the QB's in this draft remind you the most of Cousins? It ain't Penix. Is it Maye? Is it McCarthy? Who knows. The most common strength of Penix seems to be, "he throws a great deep ball". That is far from the most important part of KOC's offense right now.

Maybe it's even Nix? People focus sometimes on talent too much over FIT. Which of these QBs fit what those teams want to do. It's not all the same, and their draft boards aren't all the same.

If Souhan thinks the Vikings are going to pick McCarthy because he outplayed Penix in the Natty, he's even dumber than any of us thought he was. And that's a pretty low bar.
Michael Pratt says hi 👋👋 (and does so from the third round)

1713903516216.png

Maye and Daniels both intrigue me, but not enough to give up what it would take to get into the top 3. I wouldn't love McCarthy at #11, but I would absolutely hate moving into the top 5 for him.

I don't see a way we get a QB that is worth the price tag in this draft, just my thoughts.
I'm all in on Daniels, right or wrong. Maye was a disaster last year in almost half their games and struggles to make even the simplest of throws far too often.

I would be fine getting McCarthy at 11 but I'm still trying to figure out what he's done to improve his stock since February when he was a projected 2nd Round Pick. Desperation begets crazy decisions.

Michael Pratt says hi 👋👋 (and does so from the third round)

View attachment 31137

I'm with ya!! I've been saying the same thing!

Heard some more good discussion today on the importance of "fit" when it comes to drafting players. Specifically as it pertains to CB's. Lots of love for the Alabama CB's (T. Arnold and Kool-Aid) but a deeper look shows something maybe different? Apparently Saban historically ran man-to-man coverage in the secondary and this year, with those two, they ran more zone than Saban ever has, which could tell you that Saban didn't trust those guys to play M-M coverage.

I'm with ya!! I've been saying the same thing!

Heard some more good discussion today on the importance of "fit" when it comes to drafting players. Specifically as it pertains to CB's. Lots of love for the Alabama CB's (T. Arnold and Kool-Aid) but a deeper look shows something maybe different? Apparently Saban historically ran man-to-man coverage in the secondary and this year, with those two, they ran more zone than Saban ever has, which could tell you that Saban didn't trust those guys to play M-M coverage.
I'm on the train that says a QB's success really depends on the other 10 players on the field. If you've got a great supporting cast, being a great QB becomes a whole lot easier. Use the high draft picks to get that supporting cast, and get Pratt in the 3rd round.

I'm on the train that says a QB's success really depends on the other 10 players on the field. If you've got a great supporting cast, being a great QB becomes a whole lot easier. Use the high draft picks to get that supporting cast, and get Pratt in the 3rd round.

I'm not sure how this relates to the Vikings, who already have a great supporting cast on offense and would likely use their top picks on D if they don't go QB.

in the end, I just want to see the Vikings draft a good player who makes the team better.

the Vikes' brain trust has been evaluating the QB's for a long time. they know which QB's they like and which QB's they think would be a good fit for the Vikings' system. And they know what they are willing to pay to move up in the draft, IF that is what it takes to land a QB they want.

I just want all of the noise to be done.

Tomlin is obviously an accomplished coach, but there’s no evidence to believe he’s some sort of QB whisperer. He spent a first round pick on Kenny Pickett after all. That organization’s QB situation has been a mess ever since Big Ben retired.

The point of my post, is in the first paragraph; which you never directly addressed (btw) in your reply, so it appears you agree with it. My subsequent paragraphs support that supposition/subject.

To refresh your memory, here it is again (my first paragraph: subject) -

“For what Pittsburgh gave up for him, a conditional 6th rounder that at worse becomes a 4th rounder, it’s worth a flyer.”

Obviously, I didn’t say Fields is a panacea for Pittsburgh QB woes. Simply, that the trade was worth the risk.

Furthermore, I’m guessing you don’t have any hard info on how much Tomlin is involved in player personnel decisions there, so blaming him for Pittsburgh’s QB issues, post Big Ben, seems like more of a stretch than even Gumby could muster.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how this relates to the Vikings, who already have a great supporting cast on offense and would likely use their top picks on D if they don't go QB.
They probably would (and should) use the top picks for D, but on O, IMO we need a third WR and an interior OL (and a RB but we can pick that up in the later rounds). If we want a great Offense, use the first-round picks on WR and IOL, and select Pratt in the 3rd round. We'd probably get the 2nd best WR in the draft, and maybe the best IOL.

In other news, I'm calling it now, you heard it here first:
  • Brady Weeks is selected in Round 7 by Carolina (Pick Number 240)

Mark Craig (Strib) mock draft says Vikes trade both firsts this year and a 4th round next year for the Chargers 5th to take JJM.

Lazy guess.

If that's what happens, how pathetic are KAM and KOC, to let Jim Harbaugh play you??

Mark Craig (Strib) mock draft says Vikes trade both firsts this year and a 4th round next year for the Chargers 5th to take JJM.

Lazy guess.

If that's what happens, how pathetic are KAM and KOC, to let Jim Harbaugh play you??

You know what - the Vikings are going to do what THEY think is the right move for the franchise.

you may not agree with that move. and if you choose, you can spend the next year complaining about it.

But - and I am not joking - if you do, I suspect that damn near every other poster on this board will have you on ignore.

you opinion - and that is ALL it is - an opinion - is no better or more well-informed than anyone else on this site. the only difference is that you are willing to post about it ad nauseum.

give it a break, man.

You know what - the Vikings are going to do what THEY think is the right move for the franchise.

you may not agree with that move. and if you choose, you can spend the next year complaining about it.
But - and I am not joking - if you do, I suspect that damn near every other poster on this board will have you on ignore.

Will have? I think that ship has sailed for most long before now.

I'm a trusting soul, but to this point, this front office and regime hasn't done a lot to lose my faith in their ability to build a roster. It's going to take a lot more than likely missing on a safety from Georgia for me to think they don't know what they're doing.

Anxious to see what unfolds tomorrow evening, but I suspect they have plans for about 8 different contingencies. They know what they want and what they are willing to spend on it.

you opinion - and that is ALL it is - an opinion - is no better or more well-informed than anyone else on this site. the only difference is that you are willing to post about it ad nauseum.

give it a break, man.
Are forgetting the purpose of GopherHole?

The Vegas odds of the LAC staying at #5 and drafting a QB just went from 100:1 to 6:1 in the last week. Someone make sense of this for me unless Harbaugh wants to have JJ's baby and they already have a Herbert trade lined up.

The Vegas odds of the LAC staying at #5 and drafting a QB just went from 100:1 to 6:1 in the last week. Someone make sense of this for me unless Harbaugh wants to have JJ's baby and they already have a Herbert trade lined up.

Someone laid lots of cash to move that line.

Maybe it was Connor Stallings?

Can’t trade Herbert, they’ve already given him a shite ton of cash. Would be a $108.5M dead cap in 2024

Someone laid lots of cash to move that line.
Meaning someone put big $$$ against that bet (ie betting they will move from #5) and now the book is trying to entice people to place bets on the other side of that big bet?

Or did I get it backwards?

Top Bottom