Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters

FWIW -

Miami GM said in a presser that they’re definitely going to sign Tua to a long-term deal and will not be selecting a QB in the draft - so one less QB suitor.

Miami doesn't really have a choice, but I have a feeling they are going to regret that long term Tua deal before too long. Not really sure what other choice they have right now though.

No significant new info is going to come out and no deals are going to be announced before draft day, at this point.

Is it draft day yet?

Peter Schrager of NFL Network was on Dan Patrick today. He thinks the top 3 go Williams, Daniels, May and that Arizona won't want to go down to 11 and will trade with Giants. Also that either the Rams or Raiders will take Nix if available. So the Vikings might have to take Nix at 11 if they want him or settle for Penix at 23.

Peter Schrager of NFL Network was on Dan Patrick today. He thinks the top 3 go Williams, Daniels, May and that Arizona won't want to go down to 11 and will trade with Giants. Also that either the Rams or Raiders will take Nix if available. So the Vikings might have to take Nix at 11 if they want him or settle for Penix at 23.

That's why if the Vikings do trade up, it will likely be to 3 to take either Maye or JJ if NE is willing to part with that pick. If that happened, I think the Vikings would take Maye.

That's why if the Vikings do trade up, it will likely be to 3 to take either Maye or JJ if NE is willing to part with that pick. If that happened, I think the Vikings would take Maye.
Apparently the Patriots are pretty set on staying and picking a QB. I'm afraid the price we'd have to pay would be appalling.

Vikings will deffo have to trade up imo if Maye is the guy they want to go with. Personally, I just see them taking McCarthy though though personally I would take Penix over him(Sure in the minority in that haha).

Being a Commanders fan, most rumors I have read is we will take Daniels. Was not that excited about that prospect a few weeks ago but am now fully on board.

I'd stay put with our first-round draft picks. Focus on CB, DL and/or interior OL with our two first-round picks (whichever position/player falls to us) as we'd get the top one or two players in those areas, vs the fourth-best QB. Then trade up into the third round to select Pratt (QB from Tulane).

Yep. Nix and Rattler don’t do much for me, any more than Mond.

Penix is more interesting purely in terms of throwing talent but the other questions are there.

Rube fanbase can go cry

I'd stay put with our first-round draft picks. Focus on CB, DL and/or interior OL with our two first-round picks (whichever position/player falls to us) as we'd get the top one or two players in those areas, vs the fourth-best QB. Then trade up into the third round to select Pratt (QB from Tulane).

That would be an all chips in move and I’d love to see them be aggressive with their approach.

If the Vikings can't trade up with their two 2024 First Rounders, and if Maye or McCarthy doesn't drop to 11, then the Vikings should trade down from 11 to the late teens or 20s. They can get 2 DTs, or 1 DT plus a DE or CB in Round 1. They'll presumably get a 2nd Rounder this year for trading down, which they can then use on a QB a another position of need.

Reaching for players is how you fail long-term. If you can't get the right QB, then fortify the rest of the team.

No way you back down from taking the first defensive player taken in the draft, if you’re going to use the first two picks on defense/non-QB’s

If you can trade down from 23 to 2nd + 3rd or something, sure

If the Vikings can't trade up with their two 2024 First Rounders, and if Maye or McCarthy doesn't drop to 11, then the Vikings should trade down from 11 to the late teens or 20s. They can get 2 DTs, or 1 DT plus a DE or CB in Round 1. They'll presumably get a 2nd Rounder this year for trading down, which they can then use on a QB a another position of need.

Reaching for players is how you fail long-term. If you can't get the right QB, then fortify the rest of the team.

Unless a top defensive player is available, then you take him. Trading back sounds nice until you pass on Kyle Hamilton to draft Lewis Cine.

Let me get this straight. The Vikings might trade 3 1st rounders for JJ McCarthy when they can probably sit at 11 (and maybe 23) and get Michael Penix, Jr.

Give me Penix.

Penix has good size, a strong and accurate arm, huge hands, and 4.6 speed. He's extremely experienced as a college player and has been very successful at multiple mid-P5 stops. In his college career, Penix has:

• Nearly taken Indiana to the Big Ten championship (in football)
  • Took Washington to 14-0 and NC game
  • Got his coach promoted from Indiana OC to Alabama HC
  • Got his WR1 to the top of this year's draft board

And people are talking about taking someone else? The guys who turned in a bunch of 8-5 seasons with tons of talent around them? The guy who barely threw and leaned on a spectacular OL and running game? Penix is at least the QB2 for me in this draft and I hope the Vikings don't chase.

Let me get this straight. The Vikings might trade 3 1st rounders for JJ McCarthy when they can probably sit at 11 (and maybe 23) and get Michael Penix, Jr.

Give me Penix.

Penix has good size, a strong and accurate arm, huge hands, and 4.6 speed. He's extremely experienced as a college player and has been very successful at multiple mid-P5 stops. In his college career, Penix has:

• Nearly taken Indiana to the Big Ten championship (in football)
  • Took Washington to 14-0 and NC game
  • Got his coach promoted from Indiana OC to Alabama HC
  • Got his WR1 to the top of this year's draft board

And people are talking about taking someone else? The guys who turned in a bunch of 8-5 seasons with tons of talent around them? The guy who barely threw and leaned on a spectacular OL and running game? Penix is at least the QB2 for me in this draft and I hope the Vikings don't chase.

The talent evaluators in the NFL, the guys with each franchise who get paid to evaluate these players, will tell you what you should think of Penix by where he gets drafted. It won't be very high.

If the Vikings could get him in the 3rd round, it would be worth considering. If not, I'd rather roll with Darnold.

The talent evaluators in the NFL, the guys with each franchise who get paid to evaluate these players, will tell you what you should think of Penix by where he gets drafted. It won't be very high.

If the Vikings could get him in the 3rd round, it would be worth considering. If not, I'd rather roll with Darnold.
He will go long before the 3rd round. A lot of mocks have him going no later than 16, some in top 10. But few seem to have the Vikings just staying at 11 and taking him. Media is obsessed with them chasing and trading up.

NFL talent evaluators thought Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were better prospects than Lamar Jackson.

He will go long before the 3rd round. A lot of mocks have him going no later than 16, some in top 10. But few seem to have the Vikings just staying at 11 and taking him. Media is obsessed with them chasing and trading up.

NFL talent evaluators thought Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold were better prospects than Lamar Jackson.
Absolutely. Picking QBs has been nothing more than a crap shoot. Us message board dwellers are probably as good at picking QBs to draft. For example I did not want Ponder. Thank you. You're welcome.

Absolutely. Picking QBs has been nothing more than a crap shoot. Us message board dwellers are probably as good at picking QBs to draft. For example I did not want Ponder. Thank you. You're welcome.
And I wanted Jalen Hurts.

Media is obsessed with them chasing and trading up.
Because that’s what gets people to click on the Tweet and then (they hope) the site!!

💡

It’s their job (literally) to keep fabricating things to talk about for 5-6+ weeks

‘The draft is meatsauce’s Super Bowl. He is geeked out.’ - C. Cove

Captain Obvious says --

you can study film until hell freezes over, but you are still dealing with human beings. unless you are Professor X, you can't look inside someone's head and see what really makes them tick.

the human element is what makes sports unpredictable - and also makes it compelling. if it was simply a matter of choosing the "best available athlete,," well, that is measurable. but the best leader - the person who processes information better - the person who keeps cool in the pocket when the bodies are flying around them - that is a lot harder to measure.

so I am going to fall back on an old High School buddy of mine.

when asked about the odds of something happening - like "will the Vikes land a good QB in the draft?" - Glen would say the odds are 50/50. It either will happen or it won't, and that means the odds are 50/50.

and I think that might actually be pretty close to the truth.

They are running out on content quickly,

FWIW - This article lists the best landing spot for rookie QBs and we were first, with a perplexing 🤔 A- grade for our D.

1. Minnesota Vikings

Pass blocking: B
Run game: B
Weapons: A
Play-caller: A-
Defense: A-

What more can you ask for as a signal-caller? Justin Jefferson is the best receiver in the game. Jordan Addison can be one of the better No. 2 receivers in the league. Tight end T.J. Hockenson won’t be ready at the beginning of the season because he tore his ACL late last season, but he’ll be back.

The Vikings could use interior offensive line upgrades, but they already have one of the league’s best tackle duos with left tackle Christian Darrisaw and right tackle Brian O’Neill. They finished 13th in offensive rushing success last season despite defenses being able to focus on the run more with Jefferson and Kirk Cousins missing significant time. Jefferson’s presence makes it hard for teams to put that extra defender in the box no matter who is playing quarterback.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell is a strong play-caller who can get his best weapons the ball, schemes up ways that make it difficult to double Jefferson and takes advantage of the extra attention Jefferson gets. Minnesota still finished 10th in yards per play last season despite Jefferson missing eight games and Cousins missing 10.

Ultimately, the potential for a long-term partnership with O’Connell and Jefferson makes the Vikings the top destination for a young quarterback. The Vikings also play indoors, which is conducive to passing.

1. Minnesota Vikings

What more can you ask for as a signal-caller? Justin Jefferson is the best receiver in the game. Jordan Addison can be one of the better No. 2 receivers in the league. Tight end T.J. Hockenson won’t be ready at the beginning of the season because he tore his ACL late last season, but he’ll be back.

The Vikings could use interior offensive line upgrades, but they already have one of the league’s best tackle duos with left tackle Christian Darrisaw and right tackle Brian O’Neill. They finished 13th in offensive rushing success last season despite defenses being able to focus on the run more with Jefferson and Kirk Cousins missing significant time. Jefferson’s presence makes it hard for teams to put that extra defender in the box no matter who is playing quarterback.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell is a strong play-caller who can get his best weapons the ball, schemes up ways that make it difficult to double Jefferson and takes advantage of the extra attention Jefferson gets. Minnesota still finished 10th in yards per play last season despite Jefferson missing eight games and Cousins missing 10.

Ultimately, the potential for a long-term partnership with O’Connell and Jefferson makes the Vikings the top destination for a young quarterback. The Vikings also play indoors, which is conducive to passing.

1. Minnesota Vikings

1. Minnesota Vikings

I’d love to see Drake Maye fall to No. 4 and for the Vikings to trade up to get him. Despite some accuracy issues, Maye would be in a much better situation with talent relative to his competition than he was at North Carolina. He’ll take chances and give his playmakers chances to make plays. There might be some misfires but there would be plenty of fireworks.

They are running out on content quickly,

FWIW - This article lists the best landing spot for rookie QBs and we were first, with a perplexing 🤔 A- grade for our D.

1. Minnesota Vikings

1. Minnesota Vikings

1. Minnesota Vikings

1. Minnesota Vikings

I’d love to see Drake Maye fall to No. 4 and for the Vikings to trade up to get him. Despite some accuracy issues, Maye would be in a much better situation with talent relative to his competition than he was at North Carolina. He’ll take chances and give his playmakers chances to make plays. There might be some misfires but there would be plenty of fireworks.
Say it loud, say it proud, Gopher_In_NYC! Not just a double but a triple paste!

Souhan nails it in his column

These truths we hold to be self-evident because they've been rammed down our throats for months:

• The Chicago Bears will take Caleb Williams with the first pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.

• Jayden Daniels is the most talented quarterback in the draft.

• The Vikings are enamored of North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye.

• Trading to acquire Maye might be difficult or ridiculously expensive.

• J.J. McCarthy is the fourth-highest-rated quarterback in the draft and could go as high as the fourth pick.

• Michael Penix Jr. and Bo Nix are intriguing talents who could go anywhere between the fifth and 35th picks.

We hold these truths to be self-evident because a dozen NFL sources and a dozen plugged-in reporters have created perceptions that affect the marketplace.

We have a few days before one of the most consequential drafts in Vikings history to stop investing in opinions created by an industry that constantly misjudges quarterback prospects.

The sources of all of this information are the same people who regularly take the wrong guy.

If you can, forget everything you've heard about this quarterback class in the past three months and travel back to Jan. 8, 2024.

At that moment, if you watched a lot of college football and were preparing to enjoy the national championship game between Washington and Michigan, your quarterback rankings would have looked much different.

Until that final game began, Penix looked like the second or third best quarterback in the land, and McCarthy looked like an intriguing game manager.

Then they played that last game and perceptions changed.

Michigan's excellent defense hit Penix early and often, damaging his ribs. Michigan's power running game shredded Washington's defense, producing 303 yards and four touchdowns.

Michigan won 34-13, and McCarthy was on his way to rising to the top of the draft class and Penix was on his way down the same ladder.

It's easy to remember McCarthy as the superior quarterback that day.

What really happened?

McCarthy completed 10 of 18 passes for 140 yards and no touchdowns. He put up the kinds of numbers that get Gophers quarterbacks benched.

Penix, under intense pressure all night, played despite his injuries and completed 27 of 51 passes for 255 yards and one touchdown with two interceptions.

If you played that game again and switched quarterbacks, the guess here is that McCarthy's reputation and ribs would have taken a beating and Penix would have led Michigan to an even bigger victory.

McCarthy might develop into a quality NFL quarterback. Penix has already played like one.

Penix makes quick decisions, has a quick release, throws well on the move, is a fast runner but prefers to buy time to make big plays downfield, throws with accuracy and anticipation, and excelled in a pro-style passing offense.

By those measures, Oregon's Nix should also be considered a superior prospect to McCarthy. Nix's statistics were even better than Penix's.

Penix attempted 555 passes last season. Nix attempted 470. McCarthy attempted 332 for a team that only occasionally needed him to pass well to win.

Talking about player evaluation the other day, Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly, who has built two NBA Western Conference powerhouses, said, "I just guess."

He was being modest and glib. He was also admitting that every decision requires projection and risk.

History tells us that of the top six quarterback prospects, two will fall somewhere between good and excellent, two will bounce around the NFL and two will utterly fail.

If Williams, Daniels and Maye go in the first three picks to the teams that currently hold those picks, the Vikings will be left to decide whether to trade up for McCarthy, or to "settle" for Penix, Nix or a lower-rated quarterback.

Because we will all be second-guessing the Vikings' upcoming decision for years if not decades, it is only fair to first-guess it.

My first guess: The Vikings would be better off taking the spectacular college passers than the reliable game manager. They should bet on Penix, or Nix, rather than McCarthy.

Top Bottom