Which current Gopher is their best player?

I agree. He needs to get off the perimeter. He's not a 3 point shooter and has potential to be a very nice rebounding/defensive big. If he could develop some spring to get off the floor quick like Jordan Murphy he could put up decent scoring numbers inside.
He has the spring. He is hesitant physically and seems to lack the confidence to go in hard to the bucket and seek contact. I would love to see him hit the weight room hard as well as develop a dribble drive game. He would be great posting up high with his speed if he is works on his ability to drive.

The guy I want to succeed in a big way next year is Isaiah Ihnen. The kid has stuck with the program, has a ton of ability and seems to have kept a great attitude despite questionable playing time given him by Pitino, who I always felt misused him a bit on the perimeter. Thorson might do a ton for Ihnen who is already showing the signs of a defensive stopper. He is the highest POTENTIAL kid on the roster.
Ihnen has a great skillset. He has the size and athleticism to play the 4, but the skills to play "small ball 4". I like him on the perimeter a lot on offense, but I really want him to be more active. The same as true of Both Gach. Gach should be in constant motion of the offensive end.

Ihnen has a great skillset. He has the size and athleticism to play the 4, but the skills to play "small ball 4". I like him on the perimeter a lot on offense, but I really want him to be more active. The same as true of Both Gach. Gach should be in constant motion of the offensive end.
Ihnen is a tough guy to figure out. Agree that he has a really great skill set and could be a guy that could really step up and become a star for this team. His 3 point shooting went in the tank last season (he was not alone in that regard on this team). 2 years ago he shot closer to 40% from 3, last year that dipped to 22%.

Will be interesting to see how he does under Johnson.

Ihnen is a tough guy to figure out. Agree that he has a really great skill set and could be a guy that could really step up and become a star for this team. His 3 point shooting went in the tank last season (he was not alone in that regard on this team). 2 years ago he shot closer to 40% from 3, last year that dipped to 22%.

Will be interesting to see how he does under Johnson.
This, to me, will be an interesting study in coaching methods and how much Johnson and staff can make a difference with a player like this. I'm not saying it will be conclusive but it will be something to watch.

Gach looked like a shell of himself to start the season compared to what he is capable of.
They he regressed and disappeared about 96% of the time he played.
He has the ability....like the above poster said...he's really good uptempo offensively and in an active opportunistic defense. He's capable of making standing ovation plays nightly.
Didn't ever happen last year.
It seemed like he'd slash through the first line of defense, look like he was going to drive or hit a mid-range jumper, then lose his nerve and back off or make a non-helpful pass. Seemed like lack of confidence. Then, of course, he had the habit of stepping out of bounds when setting up to shoot the 3. Not good. Athleticism is great, but not everything.

The guy I want to succeed in a big way next year is Isaiah Ihnen. The kid has stuck with the program, has a ton of ability and seems to have kept a great attitude despite questionable playing time given him by Pitino, who I always felt misused him a bit on the perimeter. Thorson might do a ton for Ihnen who is already showing the signs of a defensive stopper. He is the highest POTENTIAL kid on the roster.
Short memory it seemed Pitino did a damn good job on getting him to focus on rebounding last year and did well.

Short memory it seemed Pitino did a damn good job on getting him to focus on rebounding last year and did well.
He did indeed. Look, I defended Pitino a lot and I do not think he is a bad coach. I think he could have done better with Ihnen especially on the offensive end.

I agree. He needs to get off the perimeter. He's not a 3 point shooter and has potential to be a very nice rebounding/defensive big. If he could develop some spring to get off the floor quick like Jordan Murphy he could put up decent scoring numbers inside.
Jordan Murphy was not the tallest {6-6 ft} but he was a solid 245lbs with a strong upper body & hands, he seldom got backed-out in the frontcourt, the Gophers present roster has no one even close to his physical ability.. Several posters are hyping Steffon Mitchell {if he decides to join Mn.} used similar to Murphy, although I like Mitchell who will give you his full capability while on the court, his physical presence, including Ihnin is anemic compared to Murphys....

Jordan Murphy was not the tallest {6-6 ft} but he was a solid 245lbs with a strong upper body & hands, he seldom got backed-out in the frontcourt, the Gophers present roster has no one even close to his physical ability.. Several posters are hyping Steffon Mitchell {if he decides to join Mn.} used similar to Murphy, although I like Mitchell who will give you his full capability while on the court, his physical presence, including Ihnin is anemic compared to Murphys....
Murphy was a generationally good rebounder. He was physically very gifted just not super tall. We will likely never see a player do what he did again for the Gophers.

Top Bottom