Which current Gopher is their best player?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
After all the transfers (in and out) its hard to even know who is on the roster. I'd make a poll out of this is but I honestly don't know the best way to approach it. I am working under the assumption that Carr and Brandon Johnson are both not going to be here next year.

I have no thoughts on this. Just a question my buddy asked me. Maybe Jamison Battle?

I mean at this point all anyone could do is just take a wild guess. It is probably Battle or Fox but until we see these guys on the court together I really don't see how anyone could know for sure. If Carr were to come back he would be the obvious choice but given that is unlikely to happen I think all we can really do is wait and see how they look once they start playing games.

Heck, maybe Gach will recapture his play from early in the season and become a leader. Or maybe Ihnen takes another step in development and becomes the guy. At this point anything could happen with this 21-22 team as we have no clue what to expect from all the new faces.

Luke Loewe will be the next JJ Redick or Jimmer Fredette. He's our best player.
JJ had made ~$118 million. MJ made roughly $95 million. Isnt that crazy?

Ive never seen Loewe play that I know of.

JJ had made ~$118 million. MJ made roughly $95 million. Isnt that crazy?

Ive never seen Loewe play that I know of.
Guessing MJ more than made up for that deficiency in salary with his endorsement money. But it has to kill the old players to see the kind of money the more current players are making.

Guessing MJ more than made up for that deficiency in salary with his endorsement money. But it has to kill the old players to see the kind of money the more current players are making.
Well of course he did. He is a billionaire. Just shows how crazy the money is not. Gorgui Dieng will have out earned nearly every (if not every) NBA player to retire before 2005

Wow. Crazy how salaries have changed. Lucky for MJ he had tons of endorsements.
The superstars made out ok. The guys I feel bad for are those 2nd and 3rd tier guys that didn't make much money at all back in the day whereas now you see scrubs getting huge contracts. There is just so much more money in the system now with the massive TV deals.

Know there’s a lot of evidence to the contrary, but I’m convinced that Both Gach is a very good basketball player. One of the most athletic guys on the team, the best passer (in my opinion) from last year, and a history of being a contributor at a power 5 level. Think he could surprise people this year if he gets his confidence back.

Know there’s a lot of evidence to the contrary, but I’m convinced that Both Gach is a very good basketball player. One of the most athletic guys on the team, the best passer (in my opinion) from last year, and a history of being a contributor at a power 5 level. Think he could surprise people this year if he gets his confidence back.
He looked really good early in the year and then he just vanished. Hopefully he can rediscover whatever that was we saw early as he looked like he was going to be a really fun player to watch.

I'm guessing Battle. He's shown tremendous improvement in his game the last 3 years.

EJ Stephens might be a dark horse answer.

His game style isn't to stand in a corner and catch and shoot. He needs to be running/slashing/moving. If we can put together an offense which involves a lot of movement he could be much improved.

Probably someone that has yet to come onboard......I know, I know current. Has to be a someone that is going to sign and make us very happy. I need some hope.

Probably someone that has yet to come onboard......I know, I know current. Has to be a someone that is going to sign and make us very happy. I need some hope.
Yes, hopefully the best player on the team is not yet on the roster. Picking among active roster players, hoping for Ihnen to have a breakthrough year.

Yes, hopefully the best player on the team is not yet on the roster. Picking among active roster players, hoping for Ihnen to have a breakthrough year.
New entries in the Basketball Transfer is slowing down to a crawl, center position alone has only six unsigned transfers, of the six only Moussa Cisse of Memphis U has any real talent, and has shown no interest in Minnesota...The cream of the crop of all positions has been depleted, even by a few obscure colleges over Minnesota....It is uncertain to assume why the Gophers have been rejected by several skilled players who could start day one in a major conference, perhaps Ben Johnson is outmatched by other coaches with years of recruiting tactics, who knows, although Ben Johnson was not exactly a shoe salesmen before landing the Gophers coaching job.....

New entries in the Basketball Transfer is slowing down to a crawl, center position alone has only six unsigned transfers, of the six only Moussa Cisse of Memphis U has any real talent, and has shown no interest in Minnesota...The cream of the crop of all positions has been depleted, even by a few obscure colleges over Minnesota....It is uncertain to assume why the Gophers have been rejected by several skilled players who could start day one in a major conference, perhaps Ben Johnson is outmatched by other coaches with years of recruiting tactics, who knows, although Ben Johnson was not exactly a shoe salesmen before landing the Gophers coaching job.....
I'd be thrilled if Ben has his career -

1620338559598.png

Being Jordan has a net worth of $1.6 billion, I think your guess is safe.

He looked really good early in the year and then he just vanished. Hopefully he can rediscover whatever that was we saw early as he looked like he was going to be a really fun player to watch.
Gach looked like a shell of himself to start the season compared to what he is capable of.
They he regressed and disappeared about 96% of the time he played.
He has the ability....like the above poster said...he's really good uptempo offensively and in an active opportunistic defense. He's capable of making standing ovation plays nightly.
Didn't ever happen last year.

Luke Loewe will be the next JJ Redick or Jimmer Fredette. He's our best player.
Never seen Loewe play but he is intriguing. This will be a lot easier once we have at least seen
them play a game or preferably 3.
Hopefully, we find a way to utilize Fox's unique talents which could blend with Gach and Ihnen defensively in the right system. Long, quick, instinctive...get that
crazed desire going to create break away defensive pressure havoc dunks.
If we can have the kind of defense that creates live ball turnovers and scores we could surprise people.

Gach looked like a shell of himself to start the season compared to what he is capable of.
They he regressed and disappeared about 96% of the time he played.
He has the ability....like the above poster said...he's really good uptempo offensively and in an active opportunistic defense. He's capable of making standing ovation plays nightly.
Didn't ever happen last year.
Disagree that we never saw what he was capable of last year. He was in double figures scoring in each of the first 6 games and fell one rebound short of a double/double against North Dakaota and Boston College. Granted he did his damage against weaker competition in general but he started the season off on fire and looked like he was going to be a really good player.

It all started falling apart for him in the Illinois game. From that point on he was MIA for the remainder of the season for the most part.

Disagree that we never saw what he was capable of last year. He was in double figures scoring in each of the first 6 games and fell one rebound short of a double/double against North Dakaota and Boston College. Granted he did his damage against weaker competition in general but he started the season off on fire and looked like he was going to be a really good player.

It all started falling apart for him in the Illinois game. From that point on he was MIA for the remainder of the season for the most part.
That’s when he hurt his foot, he was playing on a really bad foot the rest of the year

The guy I want to succeed in a big way next year is Isaiah Ihnen. The kid has stuck with the program, has a ton of ability and seems to have kept a great attitude despite questionable playing time given him by Pitino, who I always felt misused him a bit on the perimeter. Thorson might do a ton for Ihnen who is already showing the signs of a defensive stopper. He is the highest POTENTIAL kid on the roster.

The guy I want to succeed in a big way next year is Isaiah Ihnen. The kid has stuck with the program, has a ton of ability and seems to have kept a great attitude despite questionable playing time given him by Pitino, who I always felt misused him a bit on the perimeter. Thorson might do a ton for Ihnen who is already showing the signs of a defensive stopper. He is the highest POTENTIAL kid on the roster.
I agree. He needs to get off the perimeter. He's not a 3 point shooter and has potential to be a very nice rebounding/defensive big. If he could develop some spring to get off the floor quick like Jordan Murphy he could put up decent scoring numbers inside.

Top Bottom