What Nostalgic Minnesota name should be associated with the football Stadium?

TCF field is going to have it's name changed. I think we all would like a "true" name associated with the stadium that isn't sold to the highest bidder.

Mariucci Arena, Williams Arena, These names are lore on campus where corporate names come and go with the funds associated with them. So what should the stadium be called?

Smith Field?

Eller Stadium?

Bud Grant Field?

I'm going with the latter, an uncompromising winner who demanded perfection and went short sleeve when flipping the coin in sub zero temperatures as an octogenarian!
I think we should follow the Redskins/Football Team lead and just call it “Stadium” next season, and maybe have a new name for it later...

Sid Hartman Stadium. Biggest Gopher booster - nobody comes close. Covered all Gopher sports for what- 70 years? Cannot think of anyone who did more for the gophers than him, except possibly Bernie Bierman. but that was during WW2.

A.J. Barker's Mom's Best Friend's Field.

Go Gophers!!

I don't think we can afford to not have a sponsered stadium. Having a bidding war would be most benefitial to the athletic department right now.

Just go with "The Bank." Sad truth is that Bierman is already used and he's the only one with enough credentials in football to have a stadium named after him. Warmath won one national title, with one loss and it was through the result, I think, of an AP poll. Hardly the stuff of legend. About the worse suggestion has been Bud Grant. Not exactly an "M" type of guy who loved the U. However, if his estate left a ton of money, I wouldn't be adverse to calling it "The Sid."

Just go with "The Bank." Sad truth is that Bierman is already used and he's the only one with enough credentials in football to have a stadium named after him. Warmath won one national title, with one loss and it was through the result, I think, of an AP poll. Hardly the stuff of legend. About the worse suggestion has been Bud Grant. Not exactly an "M" type of guy who loved the U. However, if his estate left a ton of money, I wouldn't be adverse to calling it "The Sid."
"A Close Personal Friend of Mine Field"

The basketball court should be called Christensen court at Williams Arena. For Ray.

dVHQ7ME.gif

Bronko Nagurski Field

Stadium name goes to a big donor? Ok. Colleges have been naming buildings for donors for a long, long time.

Bronko & Bell or Nagurski & Bell Field sounds right.

Last edited:

I feel like going for an unofficial nickname now is ... weird.

Granted I'm ok with it, just weird.

God please Dairy Queen save us.

Isn't the CEO of DQ's parent company a Nebraska alum (Warren Buffet)?

"A Close Personal Friend of Mine Field"

The basketball court should be called Christensen court at Williams Arena. For Ray.
If that's the case, by the grace of God, we avoided Dave Lee Field? Actually, I do like Christensen court. Nobody loved the Gophers more. Could usually tell by the tone of his voice how the Gophers were faring even before he gave the score.

Here's a quiz... name the stadiums that the following football teams play in:

Ohio State Buckeyes
Michigan Wolverines
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Penn State Nittany Lions
Wisconsin Badgers
Purdue Boilermakers
Illinois Fighting Illini
Indiana Hoosiers
Maryland Terrapins
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Michigan State Spartans
Northwestern Wildcats

Here's another quiz: Which coach won more national championships:

Bo Schembechler
Murray Warmath

Another quiz question: Which B1G team has won more football national championships since 1949:

Michigan Wolverines
Minnesota Golden Gophers

You can win a free beer in a bar bet with some of those questions, kids.

Here's a quiz... name the stadiums that the following football teams play in:

Ohio State Buckeyes
Michigan Wolverines
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Iowa Hawkeyes
Penn State Nittany Lions
Wisconsin Badgers
Purdue Boilermakers
Illinois Fighting Illini
Indiana Hoosiers
Maryland Terrapins
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Michigan State Spartans
Northwestern Wildcats
You could just say Memorial Stadium and get like half of them right. I'll give it a quick go...

Ohio
Michigan
Memorial?
Kinnick
Beaver
Camp Randall
Ross-Ade
Memorial
Memorial
Memorial?
Memorial?
Spartan
Ryan

Sid Hartman Stadium. Biggest Gopher booster - nobody comes close. Covered all Gopher sports for what- 70 years? Cannot think of anyone who did more for the gophers than him, except possibly Bernie Bierman. but that was during WW2.
Pinky McNamara?

You could just say Memorial Stadium and get like half of them right. I'll give it a quick go...

Ohio
Michigan
Memorial?
Kinnick
Beaver
Camp Randall
Ross-Ade
Memorial
Memorial
Memorial?
Memorial?
Spartan
Ryan

Not too many corporate names on that list, are there?

Dayton’s Field at Northwest Airlines Stadium.

(Sandy) Stephen's Field @ <name of current rights owner> Stadium

Edit: I can't like my own post so i'm doing it here - (y)

Not too many corporate names on that list, are there?

How many were built in this century, not just updated? How many were dropped into an existing, built -up and crowded Metro area? The old Memorial Stadium at the U didn't have a corporate sponsor. Neither did the HHH Metrodome, but that was built in the early 80's.

Why not? They didn't need one. Strike that. The Dome did have a sponsor. The only one that counted. The Vikings. Even the Twins didn't want to go there. Heck, for a few minutes I was in that infamous meeting at the Mn Senate when Calvin was told he was going downtown.

The Legislature was dead set on keeping the funding low for TCF. Many thought is was huge waste of money to give the Gopher their own stadium on campus. They wanted them to continue to share a Downtown Stadium with the Vikings. Without the Corporate naming rights money there would be no stadium on campus at all.

Which would make a lot of people happy I guess but not everybody.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really care what its called.

The stadium has no history, nothing. Memorial is where legends played, championships were won, men became men. TCF Bank? Its one of my favorite places. I'll raise my kid there, along with Williams and Siebert and Marinucci and The Pav, but TCF Bank Stadium or Huntington Bank or whatever its called is not a place of legends. Not yet.

No one calls it Maturi Pavillion. Its The Pav. So this name won't matter either.

Sell it to the highest bidder, please.

Top Bottom