What Nostalgic Minnesota name should be associated with the football Stadium?

Otis

Reaction score
TCF field is going to have it's name changed. I think we all would like a "true" name associated with the stadium that isn't sold to the highest bidder.

Mariucci Arena, Williams Arena, These names are lore on campus where corporate names come and go with the funds associated with them. So what should the stadium be called?

Smith Field?

Eller Stadium?

Bud Grant Field?

I'm going with the latter, an uncompromising winner who demanded perfection and went short sleeve when flipping the coin in sub zero temperatures as an octogenarian!

Murray Warmath Field.

He's the last coach to win a national title in football at Minnesota. It sometimes seems like he's forgotten now, along with the glory days of Gopher football. It might be good for Gopher fans to be reminded that the team was a national power, and not all that long ago.

Just to give a poke-in-the-eye to a few critics out there...

Mariucci Arena - John Williams, legendary Gopher hockey coach
Williams Arena - Henry Williams, legendary Gopher football coach
Siebert Field - Dick Siebert, legendary Gopher baseball coach
Freeman Aquatic Center - Jean Freeman, legendary Gopher swimming coach
Bierman Field & Athletic Building - Bernie Bierman, legendary Gopher football coach
Fleck Field? (granted, a few decades from now if he keeps the upward trend)

TCF field is going to have it's name changed. I think we all would like a "true" name associated with the stadium that isn't sold to the highest bidder.

Mariucci Arena, Williams Arena, These names are lore on campus where corporate names come and go with the funds associated with them. So what should the stadium be called?

Smith Field?

Eller Stadium?

Bud Grant Field?

I'm going with the latter, an uncompromising winner who demanded perfection and went short sleeve when flipping the coin in sub zero temperatures as an octogenarian!

The Chili Hot Field @ Brewster Stadium

Maybe they should hold an annual auction; corporations could bid on the right to name stuff — the stadium, the team, each end zone, each sideline — and hold those rights for one year, and one year only.

The following year, it all goes up for bid again.

Think of the revenue! $$$$$$$$$$$$

Corporations could bid on, say, buying the rights to choose the team colors for one year — to match their corporate logo! Microsoft Blue this year. 3M Red next year. Hello, merchandise sales!

A new revenue stream, each and every year. You could have promotions and giveaways for the fans at each year's unveiling of the winner of the bidding.

I feel like going for an unofficial nickname now is ... weird.

Granted I'm ok with it, just weird.

God please Dairy Queen save us.

Murray Warmath Field.

He's the last coach to win a national title in football at Minnesota. It sometimes seems like he's forgotten now, along with the glory days of Gopher football. It might be good for Gopher fans to be reminded that the team was a national power, and not all that long ago.
I agree. He was also the coach to have the courage to realize that the Gophers needed to integrate, long before much of the country agreed.

Sanford Emory Stephens II (September 21, 1940 – June 6, 2000) was an American college football player and civic leader. Stephens was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area city of Uniontown, Pennsylvania and is best known for his career as a college football quarterback at the University of Minnesota, where he became one of the first African-American quarterbacks in major college football and the first African American to be named an All-American at quarterback.

If only Jerry would have won the conference and national championships...Kill Stadium sounds pretty cool.

Very in tune with the times. I also like the alliteration.

God knows Minnesotans would probably vote for "George Floyd Field".
Should I respond to this post with something that causes a giant controversy?

Maybe Sandy Stephens Stadium would be the perfect name.
Sandy Stephens Stadium is a name I would be happy to donate to!

Can't think of a more deserving man for future, current and former Gophers to emulate in all that they do!

I think we have a winner!

If only Jerry would have won the conference and national championships...Kill Stadium sounds pretty cool.

ol' jer' is a ball coach, it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. he's also a fix it guy, he fixes offenses, defenses and attitude problems. if the u or any other school named their stadium kill stadium, it would send a strong message that kill is also an impact guy

If it's Bierman, then it should be Beerman Field! For Wally the Beerman! Minnesota Legend!

He was acquitted.

Top Bottom