What letter grade would you give the Richard Pitino hire?

What letter grade would you give the Richard Pitino hire?

• A

Votes: 38 15.6%
  • B

Votes: 119 49.0%
  • C

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • D

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • F

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

I think the analogy can also be that Pitino follows in the trail of guys like Tony Bennett who follow their dad's with success on their own. The fact that Little Richard has spent time under other quality coaches like Donovan is an added benefit.

I agree that there is always a potential to bomb with a young hire, but I'm willing to trust Teague on this hire and support Pitino. I gave the Flubster 3 to 4 years grace period. I'm willing to give a couple years to the youngster. Certainly Pitino is leaps and bounds above "Orlando Jr."

For every Tony Bennett and JT III, there's Sean Sutton, Pat Knight, etc. I do like that he's coached several places, not just with Dad. And one year of head coaching experience at the lower level is better than nothing.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You've gone to that well about 50 times with me. Maybe you should leave since you think Alvin Ellis is trash and no big deal he left...

ETA - I have read about him, I am not ripping the coach at all, just the sudden expectation that there is a giant tunraround coming. Its a coach with one season of being a HC. Admit it, if he had a different last name with the same resume, no one would be excited.

Are you under the impression we just went to the CBI? We just won a game in the NCAA Tournament. We don't need a "giant" turnaround. We just need to keep moving forward.

Are you under the impression we just went to the CBI? We just won a game in the NCAA Tournament. We don't need a "giant" turnaround. We just need to keep moving forward.

Ok. After next year with no Trevor, Williams they will need a giant turnaround then. Or are they an NCAA team next year?

He gets a very good Top 34 RPI team 2 top 10 and 1 top 40 recruits all within 10 and 30 minutes from his office all handed to him. Compared to prior HC hires here Rich has been Handed a Gold Mine! Therefore We should expect him to lead the Gophers to top 20 teams year in and out.

He gets a very good Top 34 RPI team 2 top 10 and 1 top 40 recruits all within 10 and 30 minutes from his office all handed to him. Compared to prior HC hires here Rich has been Handed a Gold Mine! Therefore We should expect him to lead the Gophers to top 20 teams year in and out.

Pretty clear you're trying to set expectations as high as possible in hopes that you can call him a failure. You aren't that subtle.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You've gone to that well about 50 times with me. Maybe you should leave since you think Alvin Ellis is trash and no big deal he left...

ETA - I have read about him, I am not ripping the coach at all, just the sudden expectation that there is a giant tunraround coming. Its a coach with one season of being a HC. Admit it, if he had a different last name with the same resume, no one would be excited.

I don't think Ellis is trash, when did I ever say that?

And I would still be high on the hire if his name was Anderson. Reading about this success at FIU is extremely encouraging. And spending his entire assistant coaching career with 2 of the top coaches in the country is extremely valuable. People don't think this is a Shaka Smart level hire, but it could be the Shaka Smart hire at VCU. Sorry that our excitement is a downer for your Badger fandom. I love how you never even admit to being a Gopher fan when I call you out, you just change the subject. Buckyville is calling your name, will you heed the call?

Ok. After next year with no Trevor, Williams they will need a giant turnaround then. Or are they an NCAA team next year?

We're losing talent, but that talent we had clearly underachieved. If we don't underachieve with Pitino, then there's no reason we can't have a similar season in a likely weaker (slightly) Big Ten.

So now Rodney Williams is some irreplaceable player? Trevor is a loss, no way around it. We will have a very good and deep back court next year and guard play is what gets you wins in college basketball. EE will be a respectable starting center as well. But it's more fun to rip your rival errrrrr favorite team, isn't it.

So now Rodney Williams is some irreplaceable player? Trevor is a loss, no way around it. We will have a very good and deep back court next year and guard play is what gets you wins in college basketball. EE will be a respectable starting center as well. But it's more fun to rip your rival errrrrr favorite team, isn't it.

"I'm not concerned with this. If we get the right coach, we'll have plenty of opportunities for Ellis-like recruits. He was a nice player, but not a program changer or anything. Plus he said we are still in the mix depending on the coach."

Ok not trash, but you sure cooled on him when he asked out.

"I'm not concerned with this. If we get the right coach, we'll have plenty of opportunities for Ellis-like recruits. He was a nice player, but not a program changer or anything. Plus he said we are still in the mix depending on the coach."

Ok not trash, but you sure cooled on him when he asked out.

Man, read what I said again. I said we'd have opportunities to get players like him (ie nice 3-star guards), maybe even this McNeil guy at FIU. I also mentioned we may still get to keep him. BuckyBadgerman, quit trolling and get out of here.

Edit: And if I remember correctly, you are the one that always laughed at people touting Ellis as a solid recruit. So go on the record, do you think this kid is a program changer?

I know you love Buggs, but who is going to play in the frontcourt and produce? I just disagree that MN has a "good and deep" backcourt. I think ANdre Hollins is good, and Austin is above average, but after that I just dont see a lot. Everyone has different opinions any that is fine. For the record, I thought MN would be better than Wisconsin this year and was wrong on that account, though they did do better in the NCAA's.

Do you think that MN is a NCAA team next year? If the team stays as is?

Do you guys think Sorb would approve of this hire?

Man, read what I said again. I said we'd have opportunities to get players like him (ie nice 3-star guards), maybe even this McNeil guy at FIU. I also mentioned we may still get to keep him. BuckyBadgerman, quit trolling and get out of here.

I am honsetly not trolling you one bit. I think you are a good poster and like the back and forth. Message boards are for differing opinions to be shared, and you do a good job at it. Sorry if I offended you. No reason to namecall.

I know you love Buggs, but who is going to play in the frontcourt and produce? I just disagree that MN has a "good and deep" backcourt. I think ANdre Hollins is good, and Austin is above average, but after that I just dont see a lot. Everyone has different opinions any that is fine. For the record, I thought MN would be better than Wisconsin this year and was wrong on that account, though they did do better in the NCAA's.

Do you think that MN is a NCAA team next year? If the team stays as is?

Why not? More talent last year, but underachieved. If we don't underachieve this year, why can't we have a similar year in a Big Ten that might be losing a lot of talent? Not going to be easy, but not out of the question either.

If he is successful he is gone in 3 years. If he isn't he is gone in 3 years.

With his mediocre one-year of head coaching experience, how can this hire be rated more than a D? As much upside potential as Brewster.

This is a high risk, high reward type hire. Have to give it a "C" until we see what direction it takes. Not at all disappointed with the hire.

I don't know why, but I just have this feeling that we could be seeing Louisville quite a bit in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge in the coming years.

I don't know why, but I just have this feeling that we could be seeing Louisville quite a bit in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge in the coming years.

Hope so. That would mean the Gophers are projected to be in the upper half of the B1G.

No idea, but this hire is the equivalent of going for the green after the second shot on a par 5. Sure, the safe play is to lay it up and hope to come away with a par (at worst), but this program needs an eagle in a bad way. Time is going to tell if this is an eagle, or a double bogey that landed in the drink.

Eagle???...phhhhhh.... let's go for the F'n albatross.

Every kid in the class has a grade of A to start the season. It's either stay at an A or find the level as the class moves forward. I started him with an A, and will let him determine where things go from here.

As a teacher, I can inform you all kids start the "season" with a 0. Not an "A" not an "F" they all have a 0.

When the poll was first taken, here was the breakdown of the vote:

A: 16.5%
B: 54.1%
C: 17.4%
D: 7.8%
F: 4.1%

When the poll was first taken, here was the breakdown of the vote:

A: 16.5%
B: 54.1%
C: 17.4%
D: 7.8%
F: 4.1%
Interesting. Indicates that people (B) were trying to be supportive of the new hire while some did not like it. Although you always get the trolls disrupting the process.

I was C at the time, I would say it ended up around a D.

Last edited:

C, two pros and most likely two more + a tourney win aren't bad. The problem is it took him 7 years to do that lol.

Top Bottom