What letter grade would you give the Richard Pitino hire?

• A

Votes: 38 15.6%
  • B

Votes: 119 49.0%
  • C

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • D

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • F

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Like every hire, incomplete. You don't give out grades on the first day of class.

This is a tremendous hire!

J/K...I love this hire...exactly what I was hoping...big upside and potential...not lets get to work. Plus, having watched a couple of interviews...I think this guy will be able to help fund raise for the program plus I bet the high school kids are gonna love this guy! Has the name, knows the game and plays an up tempo pressure game.

Can't really say it's either going to be an A or an F though.

Like every hire, incomplete. You don't give out grades on the first day of class.

That's where I'm at. Hope it turns out well. He might be great, but it's interesting we weren't in the hunt for someone with a bigger name, but when you see UCLA settle for Alford and USC for Enfield, it looks like there's an ever-shorter list of destination schools in basketball.

Incomplete is probably the best answer, but if I had to quantify it on Day #1, it's a "B" based on age, experience, expectancy, etc. I'm not leaping out of my seat in disappointment or joy. Just letting time be the ultimate judge.

Hopefully we will see this grade improve to an "A" after recruiting, Xs and Os, and the culture all improve. This is a hefty task indeed here at the U, so let's hope this 30-year old has the energy for it all!

I gave it a "B" but for comparison, I probably would have given the Monson hire an "A" back when it was made.

Johnny's A or F is about as open as you can get.

I just meant that he's REALLY been pounding the table that firing Tubby was an awful choice. Glad that (at least some of) the folks who feel that way are going to give the new guy a fair shake

I'd like to know who his assistants are before I gave an opinion on the hire. He'll need some guys who can teach fundamentals and scheme for opponents. Who he's able to surround himself with will be a big factor in how well he will do at the U. In fact, it was likely Tubby's downfall that he didn't have better assistants who would provide innovative and precise feedback to game plan. At present, I'm in wait and see mode. However, I trust NT that he's hired a person who will bring the program up a notch and not down a notch. (Tubby was not terrible, he was mediocre, the next coach can take this program one of two ways.)

Who could honestly grade this hire? The process that happened was sloppy and at times pretty disgusting. I mean offering the job to one individual but setting it up so that person could not possibly accept the terms. I have no respect for the athletic directors scruples. I also have no respect for this cult-like v-7 thing.

The kid they hired? Let's talk after his first B1G season. We will look at the Wins vs Losses, the attendance at the BARN and interest in the program locally.

Looking ahead, I see a lot of #7 through #10 type finishes in the conference. That's because there are so darn many tough places to play. I guess home Conference record will be very telling. IF the Gophers can defend their home court better than they have in the past, they have a chance to do a little better in conference play. IF they fail to defend their home court well...it will be mighty tuff to maintain and keep from heading lower in the conference.

It's SO long until the next season starts. It's really pretty hard to imagine things being too much different. Hope for the best...but...realistically deal with facts. We will know more at the end of next season...

; 0 )

No idea, but this hire is the equivalent of going for the green after the second shot on a par 5. Sure, the safe play is to lay it up and hope to come away with a par (at worst), but this program needs an eagle in a bad way. Time is going to tell if this is an eagle, or a double bogey that landed in the drink.

I like the potential. He worked for his dad and Donavan. Just being there he had to learn BB and recruiting. I do agree he has to have good assistants.

The process that happened was sloppy and at times pretty disgusting.

You, or anyone else here (but especially you) know jack-sh!t about "the process" that was used.

Blah, blah, blah, more retread wren BS.

I really hope you pop a lugnut again and get banned again, like you have so many times in your past.

Coach with almost no experience but who is has a lot of enthusiasm and is a great recruiter! Didn't we hear that a while back on the football side?

No idea, but this hire is the equivalent of going for the green after the second shot on a par 5. Sure, the safe play is to lay it up and hope to come away with a par (at worst), but this program needs an eagle in a bad way. Time is going to tell if this is an eagle, or a double bogey that landed in the drink.

+1 and even if we hit the green we don't know if this guy can make that 40 foot eagle put or at least leave it close for a tap in birdie...time will tell. On the surface...Im excited we took the shot!

Can't believe I am about to do this...

Who could honestly grade this hire?

Apparently everyone else voting / commenting on this thread can. There are plenty of ways to objectively or subjectively assess an individual prior to results at his or her new position. For example, I think this is a decent hire based on pedigree as an assistant, turnaround job at FIU and the fact that it seems he will be young and "hungry"

The process that happened was sloppy and at times pretty disgusting.

You have no idea what happened throughout the process. Absolutely none whatsoever.

I mean offering the job to one individual but setting it up so that person could not possibly accept the terms.

Again, you have absolutely no idea what happened here. We have no insight as to what the terms were of any potential Flip offer.

I have no respect for the athletic directors scruples.

What scruples? Regardless, I doubt Norwood cares about your respect.

I also have no respect for this cult-like v-7 thing.

Please describe in what way it is anything like a cult. Thanks in advance. Additionally, feel free to realize at any time that Rich Pitino is not part of the Villa 7 program

"B." "A" would have been Shaka, Stevens, Buzz - a young but established head coach. Anyone over 50 would have immediately been downgraded one letter grade. So I would have given Flip a C, but it would have been closer to a C+.

"B." "A" would have been Shaka, Stevens, Buzz - a young but established head coach. Anyone over 50 would have immediately been downgraded one letter grade. So I would have given Flip a C, but it would have been closer to a C+.

Flip was the A hire. This is the A of the B hires for me so I go B+. Here's the thing- this is a FUN hire! Flip was a fun hire in my view- lots of excitement. And so is this. It's filled with risk but it has a lot of upside to it and it will be fun to see play out. I think the kid will work his fanny off and put an exciting product on the floor. It will be very interesting to see how he motivates guys to improve over this summer. We were missing that element before. Who can he recruit with his name and his personality? Good stuff. Congrats to Teague. Go Gophers!

Flip was the A hire. This is the A of the B hires for me so I go B+. Here's the thing- this is a FUN hire! Flip was a fun hire in my view- lots of excitement. And so is this. It's filled with risk but it has a lot of upside to it and it will be fun to see play out. I think the kid will work his fanny off and put an exciting product on the floor. It will be very interesting to see how he motivates guys to improve over this summer. We were missing that element before. Who can he recruit with his name and his personality? Good stuff. Congrats to Teague. Go Gophers!
If I get over Tubby can you get over Flip?

If I get over Tubby can you get over Flip?

You will. I already did. B+ is a good hire. I'm 100% behind Pitino. If you go on Youtube and watch Tubby's Texas Tech presser- you will be over Tubby. :)

You will. I already did. B+ is a good hire. I'm 100% behind Pitino. If you go on Youtube and watch Tubby's Texas Tech presser- you will be over Tubby. :)

Why would you say that? The man was at the state of shock. Even a write from that town mentioned that. I don't think he expected that. Only time will tell if he should have let go. I give this hire a C. It can go either way.

Go Gophers

This is a tremendous hire!

J/K...I love this hire...exactly what I was hoping...big upside and potential...not lets get to work. Plus, having watched a couple of interviews...I think this guy will be able to help fund raise for the program plus I bet the high school kids are gonna love this guy! Has the name, knows the game and plays an up tempo pressure game.

I've never heard him talk, but if he's his dad's son I'm sure he can! Presuming he's more coherent than Tubby.

All the best to you all. I am back to cheer for my Belmont, MTSU, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Tubby's next school. It was great watching UofM basketball for the past 6 years. I will read the news but done with this borad. I will always cheer for you against Bo Ryan and his teams.

Go Gopherss

What happened?

What happened?

After thinking about what happened last week, I realized that I was trully a Gopher fan so I decided to follow their team along with my other schools. I only post what I think is right. I will not bash a coach or another poster. I just want you and your former negative posters to know that Gophers will not win until they invest in basketball program. Bringing a young coach will not solve the issue. He is unproven and you haters will find out soon.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom