What is Causing this?

I think it's this simple:
Successful coaches have egos. They love a challenge. If a coach is feeling too comfortable at their current job, and some school comes around saying "save us!" - while waving huge sacks of cash - the coach thinks "a new challenge" and they go after it. while pausing at the bank to deposit the money.

the days of Woody and Bo staying at the same school for 20 or 30 years is over. now, it's all about job-hopping and paycheck chasing.
“I love a challenge!”

“Well no not the playoffs!”

This is unprecedented, right? I know people won’t like it but Notre Dame still has a chance to may the playoffs. A lot has to happen for them to get in but it’s crazy to think there’s a chance they play a playoff game after their coach left for another job.

This could end up being the wildest college football coaching cycle ever, and unless Notre Dame poaches a Big Ten head coach it's very likely that none of the 14 change jobs this offseason.

This is unprecedented, right? I know people won’t like it but Notre Dame still has a chance to may the playoffs. A lot has to happen for them to get in but it’s crazy to think there’s a chance they play a playoff game after their coach left for another job.
And the rumors of Cinci's coach to ND make it even more crazy.

Successful coaches have egos. They love a challenge. If a coach is feeling too comfortable at their current job, and some school comes around saying "save us!" - while waving huge sacks of cash - the coach thinks "a new challenge" and they go after it. while pausing at the bank to deposit the money.

the days of Woody and Bo staying at the same school for 20 or 30 years is over. now, it's all about job-hopping and paycheck chasing.

If so, Kirk Ferentz is the last of the breed.

Nick Saban is inflation, everything is the result of trying to keep up with him.

I can’t wait for some of these ADs to have buyer’s remorse in 3-4 years. I love that Nebraska can’t afford to buyout Frost and I would love to see Michigan State, LSU, Florida, etc. to be in the same spot after a few down years. Make those ADs feel like the idiots they were when they gambled on those contracts.
Not sure I’d put LSU in the same boat as those others. Kelly has been a good coach for years and has top classes coming in as well.

I gotta wonder at what point

Can you trust a guy who on the cusp of the playoffs walked away from his team?

Starts to really have an impact.

I don't know that it will but this is bonkers ...

Where did you get the idea Nebraska couldn’t afford the buyout, that isn’t why they are giving him another year.
The NE AD had enough on Frost to threaten Frost with being fired for cause which meant there would be no buy out.
Then Frost agreed to fire every coach on offense, stopped being the OC, reduce his salary by one mill and reduce his buy out next year from 15 mill to 7.5 mill.
I do not know if the NE donors are tapped out or not but they have paid out around 15 mill in buyouts over the last decade and are footing the bill for a new football facility.
Some USC donor gave the USC AD a blank check to make the hire and Kelly is getting a100 mill over ten years from the LSU donors
My point of view is the donors' $$$$ would be better spent for scholarships for bright students who cannot afford college.

I actually think you are going to see two classes of coaches emerge. There will be those that chase the spotlight, the massive contracts, high profile jobs, jumping from place to place, getting fired after a few years.....

And then there will be another class of coaches that decide some stability isn't a bad thing. Look at the Big Ten, while all these high profile jobs are becoming available the Big Ten coaches are staying put and signing extensions.

Coaches no longer have to chase a few jobs to make great money. Reports are Kelly is going to get 15 million a year at LSU, how long do you think they will wait for him to bring home a National Championship with those kind of dollars being spent?

The focus will always be on the top handful of coaches making stupid money but I won't be surprised to see a lot more guys opting for the Fitzgerald, Ferentz, Chryst path of staying put at a power 5 school, making great money without the insane expectations that will come with these massive contracts.

I could see Fleck being one of those guys as well. Seeing the big picture as opposed to just the $$$ and prestige.

I gotta wonder at what point

Can you trust a guy who on the cusp of the playoffs walked away from his team?

Starts to really have an impact.

I don't know that it will but this is bonkers ...

It could have been two coaches leaving on the cusp of the playoffs had Oklahoma won on Saturday.

Schools know that their decisions they make for the next 5 yrs will direct the programs next 50 years. You have to get this NIL thing right.

Fitzgerald maybe as well.
Ferentz will never leave Iowa
Chryst seems unlikely to ever leave Wisconsin on his own
Frost will stay at Nebraska as long as possible (might not have much choice in the matter)
Allen seems like he will be at Indiana a long time if they want him
Harbaugh would only leave Michigan for the NFL most likely
Fleck seems very content at Minnesota and talks about being here for the long hual
If Fitzgerald doesn't jump to something like Notre Dame he is never leaving Northwestern
Franklin gets mentioned for other jobs all the time yet stays at PSU

There are coaches willing to trade some stability for the $$ they just don't get as much attention as the guys getting the massive contracts.

I actually think you are going to see two classes of coaches emerge. There will be those that chase the spotlight, the massive contracts, high profile jobs, jumping from place to place, getting fired after a few years.....

And then there will be another class of coaches that decide some stability isn't a bad thing. Look at the Big Ten, while all these high profile jobs are becoming available the Big Ten coaches are staying put and signing extensions.

Coaches no longer have to chase a few jobs to make great money. Reports are Kelly is going to get 15 million a year at LSU, how long do you think they will wait for him to bring home a National Championship with those kind of dollars being spent?

The focus will always be on the top handful of coaches making stupid money but I won't be surprised to see a lot more guys opting for the Fitzgerald, Ferentz, Chryst path of staying put at a power 5 school, making great money without the insane expectations that will come with these massive contracts.

I could see Fleck being one of those guys as well. Seeing the big picture as opposed to just the $$$ and prestige.
Do you work to live(sanity) or live to work (insanity/avarice).

Kelly's love for them is limitless .... except his love for money is more ...
If I was a player on the team and got that message I would get with my buddies and stage a boycott of that 7 am meeting. What the hell is he going to be able to share with them....."guys you're great, but they offered me 15 million a year....so bye".

Kelly is allowed to go chase the money and the fame, but the players shouldn't have to sit and listen to him feed them a bunch of BS at 7 in the morning. Pack your crap and head off to LSU, don't need to waste the players time with a bunch of hollow crap about how special they are to you.

Not sure where Dodd got the 15/mil a year number but looks like Kelly got 10 for $95. Still a lot of money but obviously in line with Tucker and Franklin. Seems like the Riley contract details (if true) are the wildest by a good bit.

I think the cause is the ever-advancing trend toward a winner-take-all society. Find that next up-and-comer? Give a hot coordinator a chance? Spend on an ace staff and facilities for the players? Hell no! Go ALL IN on a single celebrity figurehead to lead your program, shower them in riches, and solve the other problems later.

Society is incredibly fixated on leaders, celebrities, and other singular people we can cast adulation or scorn upon. The Internet seems to have only accelerated this and concentrated the focus on a smaller group of people.

There's plenty of examples of splashy hires like these bombing or underperforming expectations at their next stops. At least one of LSU or USC will likely look back on the press conference as their biggest win of the coming era.

Not sure where Dodd got the 15/mil a year number but looks like Kelly got 10 for $95. Still a lot of money but obviously in line with Tucker and Franklin. Seems like the Riley contract details (if true) are the wildest by a good bit.
Notre dame could match or exceed that number and obviously have chosen not to pay above it to keep him

It's to stay one step ahead of the reaper. Your level of success, even recent success, doesn't protect you for long. You can win a conference title or even a national title and in 2 years you are gone for going .500.

Yes, we've seen that happen but not at very many schools.

Look at the money the NFL draws for live TV content.

Then look at the next best option. College football. Media rights will continue to sky rocket and the conferences and the Universities know this. It's a modern day gold rush for these Universities, and the biggest failure an AD can make at this point is to not be included in the land grab.

The reason the Big Ten isn't losing any coaches is because they all have stability, and longterm, these are the schools that will be able to pay the most. USC or LSU might be able to provide something more right now, but over the next 10 years, being in the Big Ten will be a pretty good thing.

Top Bottom