What is Causing this?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
How did we get to where coaches are leaving programs at the CFP alter?

1. $$$$. Boosters didn’t lose any money during COVID-19
2. Is it in part the earlier signing period? Maybe it needs to be moved to August.
3. 10 year deals are hard to pass up.

What else?

How did we get to where coaches are leaving programs at the CFP alter?

1. $$$$. Boosters didn’t lose any money during COVID-19
2. Is it in part the earlier signing period? Maybe it needs to be moved to August.
3. 10 year deals are hard to pass up.

What else?
Michigan State for paying an unproven Mel Tucker an absurd amount of money.

I'd also throw in the NIL changes into the mix as well. Seems like that's gotta be at play here, somehow.

Job security (and more $$) for at least another 4-5 years. (See numerous, successful fired coaches)

I can’t wait for some of these ADs to have buyer’s remorse in 3-4 years. I love that Nebraska can’t afford to buyout Frost and I would love to see Michigan State, LSU, Florida, etc. to be in the same spot after a few down years. Make those ADs feel like the idiots they were when they gambled on those contracts.

I was thinking this same thing. We're going to see a lot of interim head coaches in the post season. While I don't think they'll get there, ND could conceivably make the playoffs. OU was in the running until last week. If Fickell leaves Cinci before a historic playoff birth (assuming they win this weekend) that would just be insane.

I can’t wait for some of these ADs to have buyer’s remorse in 3-4 years. I love that Nebraska can’t afford to buyout Frost and I would love to see Michigan State, LSU, Florida, etc. to be in the same spot after a few down years. Make those ADs feel like the idiots they were when they gambled on those contracts.
The AD's don't care. Boosters pay most of the buyouts.

A couple factors at play.

1. Early signing day. You can't lose a year of recruits.
2. Conference re-alignment. Big Ten is nearing a new deal and it's becoming more and more transparent on who the have's and have not's are. There is a reason Big Ten coaches aren't leaving and Big Twelve coaches have so far (and even Notre Dame).

USC just made a big play to be a lot more attractive to a Big Ten Conference addition.

Where did you get the idea Nebraska couldn’t afford the buyout, that isn’t why they are giving him another year.

Very few AD pay the coaches salaries.

The LSU, Florida, and USC jobs were all available the same season and then Michigan State gave Mel Tucker a massive contract. All of that within the context of the massive TV deals associated with these conferences, it's just a whole new world.

Some of this has to do with the fact that sports is really the last reason why anyone gives a crap about live TV.

I was thinking this same thing. We're going to see a lot of interim head coaches in the post season. While I don't think they'll get there, ND could conceivably make the playoffs. OU was in the running until last week. If Fickell leaves Cinci before a historic playoff birth (assuming they win this weekend) that would just be insane.
That’s a really interesting point. How could you tell your team “my goal is to win a national championship” when you just left your team two wins away from winning a national championship?

Where did you get the idea Nebraska couldn’t afford the buyout, that isn’t why they are giving him another year.
Scott Frost’s four years as head coach:

2018: 4-8 (3-6)
2019: 5-7 (3-6)
2020: 3-5 (3-5)
2021: 3-9 (1-8)

Does this look like the resume of a coach that Nebraska wants to retain? If Frost’s buyout was less than $5 million, he would 1000000% be out of a job. The new AD wasn’t gonna roger up to a $20 million buyout considering Moos was canned abruptly retired after saddling Nebraska with over $25 million in dead money.

I think MSU gets buyer's remorse sooner rather than later. Take one extremely durable transfer running back away form MSU and this year isn't nearly as good. When Walker leaves for the NFL, or gets injured, $10M/year will soon look absurd and be an anchor around MSU's neck.

Because there are places like LSU that will admit anyone that can fog a mirror. ND is a bit more stringent.

Nailed it. Kelly wants a ring and will have a slightly easier time down at LSU. Maybe he’s just tired of South Bend and lake effect weather.

I think MSU gets buyer's remorse sooner rather than later. Take one extremely durable transfer running back away form MSU and this year isn't nearly as good. When Walker leaves for the NFL, or gets injured, $10M/year will soon look absurd and be an anchor around MSU's neck.

Yeah, their defense was pretty bad for a former defensive coordinator. Seems like a wild guess by MSU on how things will turn out for a guy with a paper thin head coaching resumé. Too soon to tell.

Scott Frost’s four years as head coach:

2018: 4-8 (3-6)
2019: 5-7 (3-6)
2020: 3-5 (3-5)
2021: 3-9 (1-8)

Does this look like the resume of a coach that Nebraska wants to retain? If Frost’s buyout was less than $5 million, he would 1000000% be out of a job. The new AD wasn’t gonna roger up to a $20 million buyout considering Moos was canned abruptly retired after saddling Nebraska with over $25 million in dead money.
So you have no idea and are guessing. He wasn’t retained because they couldn’t afford it. They have tons of cash and could have pulled the trigger if they wanted to. They just broke ground with booster money on $150 million dollar facility upgrades. He was retained because he still has a lot of support from key people and they wanted to give one of their own more time to see if he can turn it around, it wasn’t for lack of money though. Had he not been one of their own he would have been let go, the money is there if they wanted to.

I think it's this simple:
Successful coaches have egos. They love a challenge. If a coach is feeling too comfortable at their current job, and some school comes around saying "save us!" - while waving huge sacks of cash - the coach thinks "a new challenge" and they go after it. while pausing at the bank to deposit the money.

the days of Woody and Bo staying at the same school for 20 or 30 years is over. now, it's all about job-hopping and paycheck chasing.

So you have no idea and are guessing. He wasn’t retained because they couldn’t afford it. They have tons of cash and could have pulled the trigger if they wanted to. They just broke ground with booster money on $150 million dollar facility upgrades. He was retained because he still has a lot of support from key people and they wanted to give one of their own more time to see if he can turn it around, it wasn’t for lack of money though. Had he not been one of their own he would have been let go, the money is there if they wanted to.

I think it's both. You are correct, Frost does still have some support from key people.

It's not just about shelling out cash for the buyout, they knew they would be competing with several helmet schools paying absurd wages for the top coaches this offseason. Give Frost one more year and if it doesn't work out, they will likely have less competition for a new HC next year.

I think we’re seeing HCs cash-in now because coaching salaries are going to come down in the next few years because of NIL. ADs should already be doing whatever they can to facilitate NIL pay to athletes at their schools rather than leaning on boosters for coaching salaries and buyouts.

That’s a really interesting point. How could you tell your team “my goal is to win a national championship” when you just left your team two wins away from winning a national championship?
It's actually not out of the realm of possibilities that Cinci could face Notre Dame in the playoffs and Fickell would be the new coach of the Irish (not that he would coach in the game). But I wonder who he would be cheering for . . .

It's to stay one step ahead of the reaper. Your level of success, even recent success, doesn't protect you for long. You can win a conference title or even a national title and in 2 years you are gone for going .500.

You take a new job and you get at least 2 years, but probably 3 to 4. And even if it is the 2 then you get a massive buyout.

Let's face it, there are only a handful of coaches who's fans are unanimously happy and excited about them. The guys who haven't coached a game yet for their team(like Riley and Kelley) and Nick Saban. Everyone else has at least some of the fanbase plotting the next hire.

Top Bottom