What grade do you give the Gophers coaches in the massive collapse vs Illinois?

What grade do you give the Gophers coaches in the massive collapse vs Illinois?

• A

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • B

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • D

Votes: 40 30.1%
  • F

Votes: 76 57.1%

• Total voters
F+, they get the plus for the 1st half offensive play calling. F overall for locking the 1st half offensive play caller out of the press box and that ill-equipped, ill advised 2pt conversion play call.

PJ is simply not a good football coach. He has his loveboys who support him without hesitation, but does not coach well in tight games. This team will always be right where we are today with PJ.

PJ is simply not a good football coach. He has his loveboys who support him without hesitation, but does not coach well in tight games. This team will always be right where we are today with PJ.
Seems like it. He probably gets until 2025 until he is on the hot seat for me though

Ideally we would have a return unit that could return a kick without fumbling it away. I've seen it happen, so it is possible.
This cracked me up maybe more than it should have. Having a competent return squad would be nice.

Last edited:

C. Coaches didn't fumble the kickoff. Coaches didn't drop the TD that would have put us up 10. Coaches didn't airmail the TE. Coaches didn't take a terrible angle on the long TD in the 3q. Coaches didn't whiff the block on 3rd and 1 at the 50.

They werent perfect but some of our execution is severely lacking.

I mostly agree. You try to put your players in the best position to succeed. But after that, they've got to execute. Who is on the field, that's on the coaches. That last drive and the general failure to assemble a pass defense against no huddle, that's on coaching.

Every player on that roster was recruiting and trained by the coaches.
Agree. And those same coaches decide who is on the field. We’ve seen enough to know who they are. Neither Redding nor Tyler should ever see the field again. The fact that they are even out there to make repeated bone-headed blunders is all on the coaches.

I'm not sure I can think of this game result as a "massive collapse" like the Northwestern game. We never had a lead larger than 6 points and we trailed for a significant amount of time in this game. On the whole, I'd say that IL just outplayed us by enough to win. I think there is a lot of blame to go around for this loss.

F as always if you would run plays to win you would have maybe 5 more wins last 2 years

F+, they get the plus for the 1st half offensive play calling. F overall for locking the 1st half offensive play caller out of the press box and that ill-equipped, ill advised 2pt conversion play call.
This is a really good point. It's tough to remember, but that first half the offense looked really good. After getting down 7-0 and 14-0 both subsequent possessions felt like "must scores" and they did just that.

Unfortunately whatever it was we tried to do when we got the ball back with 50 seconds left more than negates the good opening drives. It's just unreal how bad we've consistently been in those situations.

This is a really good point. It's tough to remember, but that first half the offense looked really good. After getting down 7-0 and 14-0 both subsequent possessions felt like "must scores" and they did just that.

Unfortunately whatever it was we tried to do when we got the ball back with 50 seconds left more than negates the good opening drives. It's just unreal how bad we've consistently been in those situations.
Just another horrible, inexcusable loss. And good luck, too because next year it only gets tougher. At least then I guess we will lose to GOOD teams.

Our coordinators suck. One leaves receivers continually wide open, and the other can't design routes to get our receivers open.
I don’t know why every team doesn’t go no huddle against us.

Rossi has to be one of the best slow paced DCs in the country and one of the worst against the no huddle.

Top Bottom