What grade do you give the Gophers coaches in the massive collapse vs Illinois?

What grade do you give the Gophers coaches in the massive collapse vs Illinois?

• A

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • B

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • D

Votes: 40 30.1%
  • F

Votes: 76 57.1%

• Total voters

Fleck ball continues to hinder. There’s a lot of issues with this team and he doesn’t help.

F. I'm well on the road to becoming a cynical, old man. The road to one meaningful bowl game in my lifetime seems further and further away with every passing year and with every change to college football. Maybe it's time to start playing pickleball and running half marathons in my free time.

With four minutes left in the game, Gophers in the lead, and possession in our favor, my teen son wanted to watch a movie. I told him "Go ahead, the only way the Gophers lose now is through some catastrophic failure." He said something about the win being assured, and I said "I didn't say they can't lose. I just said it would take a catastrophic failure." It was all downhill from that moment.

You see, I've been a Gophers fan long enough to know.

Anything other than an F is fanboi shit.

More cowardly playing not to lose.

Bert is 10-0 vs. Minnesota. I know that’s through different teams and coaches, but WTF. You can’t convince me that curses don’t exist.
With four minutes left in the game, Gophers in the lead, and possession in our favor, my teen son wanted to watch a movie. I told him "Go ahead, the only way the Gophers lose now is through some catastrophic failure." He said something about the win being assured, and I said "I didn't say they can't lose. I just said it would take a catastrophic failure." It was all downhill from that moment.

You see, I've been a Gophers fan long enough to know.
This is hilarious because I did the same thing. They went up and I decided to go outside with my young son because I knew we’d either win or they’d massively choke and that I’d be far better off playing outside with my kid. At least I’ve learned from all this Gopher pain.

Waiting to hear from all the fans who continually pine away for the Gophers to return KO's and not fair catch them and take the ball on the 25....

They must be here somewhere... Handed Illinois 7 points to start the game before the offense even took a snap. But yeah, sure, let's try returning a KO every now and then...

How do we think Nebr felt losing to MN? Or Iowa felt losing to MN? Or IL felt losing WI? Or WI felt losing INDiANA? How now MN felt losing to IL? The BIG WEST is weak. It seems OSU, MI, and even PSU don't lose in this fashion because they have the talent on the fleld to dominate in strategic situations. As I see it....

D for Disaster - Offense C and Defense F. Defense lost us that game - not anything Offense. Shouldnt have been put in a position to play catch up at the end.

F - Just like NW, the better team talent-wise was outcoached and lost to a team that they never should have.

D for Disaster - Offense C and Defense F. Defense lost us that game - not anything Offense. Shouldnt have been put in a position to play catch up at the end.
I mean, they also had the ball with a chance to ice the game. It’s a team sport and they’re all at fault.

Went with D. Not all on him as players do need to do their job. I'm convinced though, if the QB play was a little better, we would have won.

Gave a C.

We actually scored some points. Not enough for what we gave up of course, but more than recent.

Very much a team loss as it would have been very much a team win if that transpired.

Going for the 2-point conversion...and even misfiring...seemed reasonable at the time. The trickeration part for execution was not good though.

But this was not like the loss to Northwestern...nor the NC or Michigan losses...we just can't do anything offensively with the new time rules at less than 2 minutes, with 50 seconds on the clock, and 2 timeouts left starting deep on our end. Onward to Purdue...

F for the defensive secondary. It really can't get much worse.

I say a D. There were plays on the field that the players should have, and need to make, and the game would have been won. Having said that, PJ still likes to settle for field goals rather than playing to win. I’m tired of his act and want change. And calling a time out on defense to then allow a bomb to their best receiver, after he gets by #7 and what’s supposed to be a difference maker at safety in Nubin, is inexcusable and is all on the coaches. What was said in that time out huddle? From the looks of it, it must have been, “guys, they have to have a td and the clock is against them, but we think they’ll run the ball here. They’d be stupid to try and throw it deep, so don’t expect that.”

Waiting to hear from all the fans who continually pine away for the Gophers to return KO's and not fair catch them and take the ball on the 25....

They must be here somewhere... Handed Illinois 7 points to start the game before the offense even took a snap. But yeah, sure, let's try returning a KO every now and then...
Ideally we would have a return unit that could return a kick without fumbling it away. I've seen it happen, so it is possible.

Fumble opening kickoff
Nubin takes bad angle on swing
Nubin blows a coverage

21 points

I blame the coaches

That winning long TD pass came out of our time out - PJ calls TO and that was the play coming out of that - maybe “no deep balls” - one of many many frustrating things today - He is a bad coach - sorry but 7 years is enough - can’t think of a worse loss although I was gone for NW game -

C. Coaches didn't fumble the kickoff. Coaches didn't drop the TD that would have put us up 10. Coaches didn't airmail the TE. Coaches didn't take a terrible angle on the long TD in the 3q. Coaches didn't whiff the block on 3rd and 1 at the 50.

They werent perfect but some of our execution is severely lacking.

Top Bottom