What grade do you give Ben Johnson for his first year?

What grade do you give Ben Johnson for his first year?

• A

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • B

Votes: 75 31.8%
  • C

Votes: 92 39.0%
  • D

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • F

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters
Like it or not, the transfer portal is now an integral part of D1 FB and hoops.

When players leave via the portal, they have to be replaced.

I agree that, in a perfect world, you would want the bulk of your team to consist of HS players you have recruited and developed.

But, for roster management, you have to be flexible. If two kids leave via the portal, I don't know if you want a huge incoming FR class. to balance the roster, I think you would want to bring in at least one or two experienced players through the portal or a grad transfer.

Bottom line - excuse the cynicism, but fans will complain about the portal when it hurts "their" team but they will love it when it helps "their" team.

If the Gophs bring in an All-B1G level player through the portal, no one will be complaining that "they should have given that roster spot to a HS player."
Hold up.....are you trying to imply that fans adjust their opinions based on how the issue affects their team?

Next you will tell us fans only truly complain about the officiating when their team loses.... :)

Like it or not, the transfer portal is now an integral part of D1 FB and hoops.

When players leave via the portal, they have to be replaced.

I agree that, in a perfect world, you would want the bulk of your team to consist of HS players you have recruited and developed.

But, for roster management, you have to be flexible. If two kids leave via the portal, I don't know if you want a huge incoming FR class. to balance the roster, I think you would want to bring in at least one or two experienced players through the portal or a grad transfer.

Bottom line - excuse the cynicism, but fans will complain about the portal when it hurts "their" team but they will love it when it helps "their" team.

If the Gophs bring in an All-B1G level player through the portal, no one will be complaining that "they should have given that roster spot to a HS player."
That's not going to happen prior to winning though. We were able to bring Battle and Willis back home and that is about as good as it is going to get (pretty good) for a lower tier power conference team in the transfer market. I'd happily be all for bringing in one or more a year of those if we could get them- but that ain't happening. Transfers are going to be hole pluggers for the most part- not team builders.

That's not going to happen prior to winning though. We were able to bring Battle and Willis back home and that is about as good as it is going to get (pretty good) for a lower tier power conference team in the transfer market. I'd happily be all for bringing in one or more a year of those if we could get them- but that ain't happening. Transfers are going to be hole pluggers for the most part- not team builders.
Johnson had a tough sell in year 1 so it isn't surprising that his best transfers were guys with ties to the area. I'm not sold that will be a limiting factor going forward though.

I know if I were a PG looking for a new home I would give Minnesota a look after seeing how things played out for Willis last year. Johnson now has something to show transfers as well in regards to how they are going to play.

All Johnson had to sell last year was his vision. Now he has a season under his belt and some returning players to use in his pitch to potential 2022 transfers.

Johnson had a tough sell in year 1 so it isn't surprising that his best transfers were guys with ties to the area. I'm not sold that will be a limiting factor going forward though.

I know if I were a PG looking for a new home I would give Minnesota a look after seeing how things played out for Willis last year. Johnson now has something to show transfers as well in regards to how they are going to play.

All Johnson had to sell last year was his vision. Now he has a season under his belt and some returning players to use in his pitch to potential 2022 transfers.
4-16 in conference with 1 returning starter is still a tough sell. The best pitch is still Big Ten playing time. It is a little better than last year, though, I won't disagree with that. Guys that expect to go to the NCAAs as 5th year seniors will not be picking us, however.

Last edited:

4-16 in conference with 1 returning starter is still a tough sell. The best pitch is still Big Ten playing time. It is a little better than last year, though, I won't disagree with that. Guys that want to go to expect to go to the NCAAs as 5th year seniors will not be picking us, however.
It will be on Johnson to sell the stuff below the surface. The great thing about basketball is you don't have to convince a ton of players to quickly change your fortunes. You just have to find the right guys.

If he can make a splash in the portal it might get some other guys to look this way as well. Good shooting guards, looking for a chance to play in the Big Ten and shoot a lot of 3s should definitely give Minnesota a look as a destination. Wouldn't take a ton to turn this into a tournament team as early as next year.

Or if I were looking for major minutes.

Come on Ben, Iowa starts 5 players from Iowa. You certainly should be able to find 5 players fromMinnesota.

Come on Ben, Iowa starts 5 players from Iowa. You certainly should be able to find 5 players fromMinnesota.

3 players from Iowa start but one is the coach's son. Tony Perkins is from Indianapolis and Rebraca is a Serb.

Anything to get In the Big Dance. Apparently Iowa played 5 Iowa guys at one time in winning the B1G tournament.

Cause Ben walked into a similar position that little richey did? Not even close.

The cupboard wasn't bare at the end of last year. The cupboard was bare after the entire team decided to leave.

Why did so many players remain with the new coach at Indiana? How about Penn State? How about Richard Pitino's first year? Does Johnson have any culpability for having to start completely over? If he had 7 players on the team from last year as we saw in some of these other examples, would 4 big ten wins be considered such an overachievement as many have claimed? Did Pitino deserve any credit for retaining Tubby's players?

The cupboard wasn't bare at the end of last year. The cupboard was bare after the entire team decided to leave.

Why did so many players remain with the new coach at Indiana? How about Penn State? How about Richard Pitino's first year? Does Johnson have any culpability for having to start completely over? If he had 7 players on the team from last year as we saw in some of these other examples, would 4 big ten wins be considered such an overachievement as many have claimed? Did Pitino deserve any credit for retaining Tubby's players?
Did you know the transfer portal wasn't a thing 9 years ago?

Was the transfer portal available to all the players on Penn State and Indians last year?
Indiana is a blue blood and Penn State lost the majority of its roster to the portal. Not sure you're making the point you think you are.

Indiana is a blue blood and Penn State lost the majority of its roster to the portal. Not sure you're making the point you think you are.
I believe when I checked last week, Penn State returned seven players including Harrar, Lundy, Dread, and Sessoms. We returned Ihnen and as a last resort Curry. Penn State is a conference door mat with a first year coach. Just like us. It’s exactly the point I was trying to make. Indiana is a middle of the conference team but also with a first year coach.

I like much of what I saw this year from Johnson. But my main criticism would be his roster construction. Portal or not, he didn’t do a very good job selling the program to the returning players and unfortunately he also has very little returning as a result of the choices he made in the portal. Just my year one observation.

Many people on here laughed at the Mike Woodson hire. Indiana hasn't been to the NCAA tournament or won a game there in 6 years. It has only been 3 years for the Gophers.

Yet he won a game in the tournament last night in his first season as head coach. He inherited a depleted roster but recruited several of them back to Indiana. How could that be?

Many people on here laughed at the Mike Woodson hire. Indiana hasn't been to the NCAA tournament or won a game there in 6 years. It has only been 3 years for the Gophers.

Yet he won a game in the tournament last night in his first season as head coach. He inherited a depleted roster but recruited several of them back to Indiana. How could that be?
A depleted roster full of 5 and 4 star recruits with an NBA resume to sell? Man I can't imagine why one of the best college basketball programs of all time is in a better spot than Minnesota. They were also clearly in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago before a once in a lifetime event happened and canceled the tournament.

Last edited:

I believe when I checked last week, Penn State returned seven players including Harrar, Lundy, Dread, and Sessoms. We returned Ihnen and as a last resort Curry. Penn State is a conference door mat with a first year coach. Just like us. It’s exactly the point I was trying to make. Indiana is a middle of the conference team but also with a first year coach.

I like much of what I saw this year from Johnson. But my main criticism would be his roster construction. Portal or not, he didn’t do a very good job selling the program to the returning players and unfortunately he also has very little returning as a result of the choices he made in the portal. Just my year one observation.

Is anyone arguing the roster construction was good? People are posting explanations about why it wasn't good.

A depleted roster full of 5 and 4 star recruits with an NBA resume to sell? Man I can't imagine why one of the best college basketball programs of all time is in a better spot than Minnesota. They were also clearly in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago before a once in a lifetime event happened and canceled the tournament.

Jackson-Davis is their only main contributor approaching the 5* level and Woodson had to convince him to return. The rest of their main contributors are low level 4 star and 3 star recruits similar to the several that Pitino landed here in the past despite being a 'bad recruiter'.

And they were not clearly in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago, they were tied for 10th in the B1G at 9-11 and squarely on the bubble.

And thanks for helping make my point that despite never coaching college basketball, Woodson actually has a resume to sell. What is Ben's resume to sell again? That he's only been a part of losing programs both as a player and a coach? I guess that is a tough sell to recruits, I'll give you that.

4-16 in conference with 1 returning starter is still a tough sell. The best pitch is still Big Ten playing time. It is a little better than last year, though, I won't disagree with that. Guys that expect to go to the NCAAs as 5th year seniors will not be picking us, however.
I hope he gets at least one multi year guard in the portal that can contribute immediately and Thiam can play some, I doubt they will be a bubble team next year and like you have stated top fifth year guys just aren't going to be coming here YET.

Thiam has big ten athleticism, that can't be taught, I'm not giving up on him yet.

Jackson-Davis is their only main contributor approaching the 5* level and Woodson had to convince him to return. The rest of their main contributors are low level 4 star and 3 star recruits similar to the several that Pitino landed here in the past despite being a 'bad recruiter'.

And they were not clearly in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago, they were tied for 10th in the B1G at 9-11 and squarely on the bubble.

And thanks for helping make my point that despite never coaching college basketball, Woodson actually has a resume to sell. What is Ben's resume to sell again? That he's only been a part of losing programs both as a player and a coach? I guess that is a tough sell to recruits, I'll give you that.

Indiana has similar recruits than Minnesota prior to Pitino being fired? Are you on drugs? He signed 2 top 100 recruits in 8 years (3 if you count Ihnen on 247.) Indiana has signed top 100 recruits every single year (the majority with multiple) since before Pitino was hired. Not sure why you keep trying to compare the two programs. Pitino was a lazy recruiter and was called out by multiple local players for it and lost those players.

They were in the tournament on every major website.

The point that you're mad he was hired in the first place? The point that you're selectively critiquing first year coaches based on how much you like them? You're welcome.

Last edited:

Anything below a C is stupid the roster was horrible
Then it circles back to who formed the roster. So far I like Ben's coaching. He needs to have a very strong spring recruiting. This year has to be a whole lot better than last year.

It’s a C+/B for me. As a rookie head coach, he showed promise and the kind of basketball his teams with better players and a deeper bench can do.

We will know more in the next five years how the Gophers will fare with his forthcoming recruiting classes.

The Big Ten is a grind. You can’t win many games with a rag-tag short-handed roster.

Eh, nba scouts convinced TJD to return

3 players from Iowa start but one is the coach's son. Tony Perkins is from Indianapolis and Rebraca is a Serb.
Nonetheless, Iowa's population is 3.1M and they also have Iowa State competing for in-state talent.

Minnesota's population is 5.6M and we're the only P5 in the state.

Anything below a C is stupid the roster was horrible
Before the season, when asked, Ben said they would not finish last. Well they finished last, no way you can give him a C or higher. That was his own assessment based on what roster he had and what the rosters were in the league. He failed to meet his own expectations based upon all of his basketball knowledge. You don't need to base the grade on your knowledge, base it on Ben's knowledge because he knows a lot more about basketball than you or I.

Indiana has similar recruits than Minnesota prior to Pitino being fired? Are you on drugs? He signed 2 top 100 recruits in 8 years (3 if you count Ihnen on 247.) Indiana has signed top 100 recruits every single year (the majority with multiple) since before Pitino was hired. Not sure why you keep trying to compare the two programs. Pitino was a lazy recruiter and was called out by multiple local players for it and lost those players.

They were in the tournament on every major website.

The point that you're mad he was hired in the first place? The point that you're selectively critiquing first year coaches based on how much you like them? You're welcome.

I said the main contributors outside of TJD this season were similar to past Gopher recruits. Their 2nd-5th leading scorers were Race who was a low end 4* from MN who was in the portal when BJ was already hired here. Kopp was a mid 4* who transferred in from Northwestern, and the other two were 3* transfers.

The high end recruits you are speaking of did not contribute much to this Indiana team this season, and may never pan out.

The only thing I'm mad about is being a perennial bottom dweller in the B1G. I hope Ben proves me wrong and wins big here as I'll always be a fan.

I thought he was a bad hire from day one because of what we just endured under Pitino, yet we hired an even lesser experienced version of him. Ben's recruiting last spring couldn't have gone much worse, and that's how we ended up in last place this season.

The way things have changed with the transfer portal offers new coaches the opportunity to win right away, plus Minnesota has a ton of basketball talent. There are several first year coaches in the NCAA tournament this season. The fact that posters are giving him a pass and high grades for this season shows how dead this fanbase has become.

Top Bottom