What grade do you give Ben Johnson for his first year?

What grade do you give Ben Johnson for his first year?

• A

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • B

Votes: 75 31.8%
  • C

Votes: 92 39.0%
  • D

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • F

Votes: 14 5.9%

• Total voters
I would say giving an 'A' is claiming it was a great success, so there are some that are claiming great success.
Nah, I just did it for a little fun. But I am okay with this season. He got to the game late, they played well for most of the season. Ran out of gas at the end. I like the direction already.

Nah, I just did it for a little fun. But I am okay with this season. He got to the game late, they played well for most of the season. Ran out of gas at the end. I like the direction already.
Got to the game late….salary wasn’t prorated

Some major spin zone stuff to put the roster issues on the previous coach in year 3 for Pitino but put the entire roster problem on Johnson in year 1. Maybe the Johnson couldn't attract better talent in year 1 before coaching a game because the team was at the bottom of the conference for the majority of the 8 years prior?
What the hell are you talking about?. People in this thread are doing the exact opposite of what you just said. They’re saying Pitino had no excuse in year 3 and since Johnson is year he has a bit of an excuse.

What the hell are you talking about?. People in this thread are doing the exact opposite of what you just said. They’re saying Pitino had no excuse in year 3 and since Johnson is year he has a bit of an excuse.
The post above mine clearly stated the exact opposite?

I said “C”.
I had low expectations going in given that Ben had been passed over by Northern Illinois and Montana State.

Roster construction fell bellow what I’d hoped. Thought he’d get some MN-connected player beyond Battle- maybe Dawson Garcia so I’d give him a D there.

NonCon went significantly better than I expected. There were a couple moments of absolute joy I didn’t think I’d have this season. I’d give him an A during this period. My hopes were really up- wow this guy can coach! He brought in great assistants who are game planning really well- this is awesome!

B1G season began and I quickly lost interest. I watched way less Gopher hoops in a given year than I usually do. Check the box score the next day- ho hum- 7 guys played and a loss- on to the next one. Tuned in for Rutgers and that was awesome but then didn’t understand why Thompson hardly ever played the rest of the way. Give him a D here. Short bench caught up with them. Game planning/lack of talent/something let them down. It’s a D for this part.

Two D’s and an A. Give it a C for me on the year and move on. Hope for the best and expect the worst for next year. I’m a Minnesota sports fan…

100%. It is much better to have a bottom out year with a young squad than with an old one.

If we had the record we had this year with 3-4 freshman starters, people would be lined up to buy tickets for next year.
The post above mine clearly stated the exact opposite?
This post that was directly above the one I responded to did not excuse make for Pitino. It did criticize the roster of Johnson but it did not call for his head.

This post that was directly above the one I responded to did not excuse make for Pitino. It did criticize the roster of Johnson but it did not call for his head.
Was talking about the local weather guys post.

D+ (Up from preseason ranking of F)

I haven't posted for months. I just had nothing positive to say about Ben's hiring, had my say & shut up.

That said, his team won twice the number of B1G games I was expecting. I was thinking 2 wins max.
Meanwhile my preferred hire had a very rough year at Utah.

First year coaches at their current school in this year's NCAA tournament:

Drew Valentine (0-1)
TJ Otzelberger (1-0)
Mike Woodson (1-1)
Hubert Davis (1-0)
Mark Adams (1-0)
Tommy Lloyd (1-0)
Shaka Smart (0-1)
Chris Beard (1-0)

First year coaches at their current school in this year's NCAA tournament:

Drew Valentine (0-1)
TJ Otzelberger (1-0)
Mike Woodson (1-1)
Hubert Davis (1-0)
Mark Adams (1-0)
Tommy Lloyd (1-0)
Shaka Smart (0-1)
Chris Beard (1-0)
Shaka and Beard had been head coaches at the P5 level already.

The rest though, indeed were either first ever head coach job, first ever college head coach job, or at least first ever head coach job at P5 level.

if TJ is an A, Ben is a D

Why couldnt MN get a coach that could recruit MN, rebuild and win? vs getting a coach that can recruit MN and might do the other things in the future

Top Bottom