What do we do with Edwards

No, mindless comments and endless b.s. is what really bothers me.

Don, I genuinely like your posting here. But my god, this is some serious hypocrisy. You're kind of the king of mindless B.S.

Don, I genuinely like your posting here. But my god, this is some serious hypocrisy. You're kind of the king of mindless B.S.

Finally, MinneStoa has acknowledged me. Damn, I am so thrilled. Thank you, MinneStoa. I love ya, man.

What do we do with Edwards?

You clean the GD Blue off him after being in michigan's endzone all damn day long!

be.jpg

You clean the GD Blue off him after being in michigan's endzone all damn day long!

View attachment 2512

Yep. :)

I really can't wait to see this kid play, and I LOVE the fact he's got a serious chip on his shoulder regarding both scUM *and* Iowee, who rescinded their offer to him after he refused to commit early to them.

Tom Lemming is all about the kid. He calls him a potential difference maker as well as "a Barry Sanders-type", which is just insanely high praise, but hey, I can roll with that. Anyway, Lemmings on Edwards at the time we signed him, "I love Edwards," Lemming said. "He's short, compact, quick and strong. He's a guy who can play as a freshman because he's already got the strength and the speed. A lot of those (small) running backs make it -- look at Oregon."

So yeah, I'm really psyched to see him play, especially behind the talent and depth we're assembling along the OL and at TE. Good times ahead, I believe.

Exactly. His posts almost never have anything to do with Gopher sports. I can tolerate him though since he isn't one of those "sky is falling" type of posters who see the negative in everything.

It's an interesting situation that is somewhat new to us because we aren't used to having quality depth. Edwards and Jones will only be FR next season, they'll both play, but it's not the end of the world if one of them doesn't get quite as many carries as they would like.

As others have said, Jones and Edwards will both be used as RBs and in the slot with the jet sweep threat. They are also threats to run bubble screens from the slot and just the simple fact that they are in the slot makes the defense switch focus.

Edwards will also be competing with Craig James to return KOs with Marcus Jones.

As to the running back touches, there are carries to go around. I'd imagine the staff is going to have to pick between Williams and Kirkwood over who will be the short yardage guy. My guess is that it's going to be Williams. We will rush the ball about 550 times next season (we don't add a billion TEs and OL every year to pass the ball).

About 150 will go to QBs. . . (total 400)
I'd guess 220 will go to Cobb (total 180)
100 to Jeff Jones (80 total)
50 to Edwards
30 to Williams

Obviously this is a rough guess and it's assuming no injuries but there are plenty of carries to go around. The Williams/Kirkwood combo will be a bit squeezed but that's the way it is. I could certainly imagine Edwards having less than 50 carries next season and some of those going to Williams/Kirkwood.

We could certainly go substitution wild next year with all kinds of backs, WRs, and TEs coming and going carrying plays in. Different sets, disguised plays, no smoking and jokin on the sidelines. Everyone's head in the game all the time. You can develop a tough fast paced rhythm doing that. It is hard to defend against offenses like that.

We won't have to play dinged up guys so we can keep healthy guys ion the field and get those dinged up healed 100% and back sooner.

Oh well. That was all wild conjecture.

Bob, do you really expect our QBs to run that much next year? I'd prefer to see that drop to 5-6 carries a game. That will require a precision offense. I think we are approaching that era of Gopher football. Solid talent deep in the system. Our center's skill and leadership is the key nearly as much as the QB's

Red shirt Jones.......My God, have any of you at least watched his highlight packages????

He's our number one right now, why would you red shirt him?

What do we do with Edwards? Same as Jones. Polished the he11 out of that OL and turn them loose!!!

JoeDirt, "Wipe the GD blue off..." AWESOME!!!

We already had a group of good backs. The passing game is going to be given to Leidner (polish the he11 out of that OL), he has a very good group of very young receivers and backs to throw too. We should score almost every possession. Get this O up to speed coach. It is up to you now.

Execute...execute...execute!

What do we do with Edwards? Same as Jones. Polished the he11 out of that OL and turn them loose!!!

JoeDirt, "Wipe the GD blue off..." AWESOME!!!

We already had a group of good backs. The passing game is going to be given to Leidner (polish the he11 out of that OL), he has a very good group of very young receivers and backs to throw too. We should score almost every possession. Get this O up to speed coach. It is up to you now.

Execute...execute...execute!

This is exactly the challenge that our Coaching Staff has coming up. I think we have a lot of options/people to use, it is up to the Coaching Staff to exploit the strengths of each and totally dominate on offense, as Claeys keeps building our D.

We have opportunities to be an impressive, competitive team for years to come. More bricks starting next season.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Guys. According to Rivals, we have the 9th ranked all purpose RB in the 2013 class and the 7th ranked RB of the 2014 class. Just think about that for a second and get excited.

Bob, do you really expect our QBs to run that much next year? I'd prefer to see that drop to 5-6 carries a game. That will require a precision offense. I think we are approaching that era of Gopher football. Solid talent deep in the system. Our center's skill and leadership is the key nearly as much as the QB's

It'll be interesting to see, I'm not sure. Leidner is a good/tough runner, so I don't think we'd be properly utilizing his skills if we only ran 5-6 times a game. We also run so much read-option that I'd guess our QBs get 8-15 carries per game. However, you could certainly be right, it wouldn't shock me to see us reign in the QB carries a bit. We ran the ball like 190 times with our QBs last season and I expect that to drop a bit but I'm not sure how much.

Thanx Bob. IMO I don't ever recall having the O weapons that we will have this fall as incredibly young a group as they are. Some will catch fire sooner than others. I just assume there will be an effort to use these weapons more than the QB this year because we are so lacking in experience at QB. Leidner seems to love to run and the contact. May be hard to reign him in, but we need him healthy. Streveler (if his hand heals so he can throw) will have two Spring practices under his belt and McKinzy one. That will help with the playbook and physical maturity but the game is played on a field and e are soooo young at QB.

Critical elements for next season:

1. As mentioned - beefed up and improved O-Line play. As the O-Line goes the Offense goes the same way.

2. Avoid/minimize injuries. Can't afford to lose key players like Christenson in the middle of our winning streaks.

Of course, we need the Defense to pick up where they left or improve with more team speed.

Thanx Bob. IMO I don't ever recall having the O weapons that we will have this fall as incredibly young a group as they are. Some will catch fire sooner than others. I just assume there will be an effort to use these weapons more than the QB this year because we are so lacking in experience at QB. Leidner seems to love to run and the contact. May be hard to reign him in, but we need him healthy. Streveler (if his hand heals so he can throw) will have two Spring practices under his belt and McKinzy one. That will help with the playbook and physical maturity but the game is played on a field and e are soooo young at QB.

The year you are looking for is 2003 - Barber, Maroney, Utecht, Hosack, Abdul-Khaliq, Eslinger, Setterstrom.....

I love the optimism but you are acting like all these guys we have are sure things and the fact of the matter is a lot of them have not seen the field and many of them have yet to really do much at the college level so while it is great to think of what guys like Edwards, Jones (both of them) and others might do they are for the most part unknown commodities and could just as easily be busts as they could be future superstars.

The year you are looking for is 2003 - Barber, Maroney, Utecht, Hosack, Abdul-Khaliq, Eslinger, Setterstrom.....

I love the optimism but you are acting like all these guys we have are sure things and the fact of the matter is a lot of them have not seen the field and many of them have yet to really do much at the college level so while it is great to think of what guys like Edwards, Jones (both of them) and others might do they are for the most part unknown commodities and could just as easily be busts as they could be future superstars.

I get your point, but Jeff Jones could not just as easily be a bust as a superstar. He has to work hard and prove it, yes, but odds are pretty good he will be very very good.

Critical elements for next season:

1. As mentioned - beefed up and improved O-Line play. As the O-Line goes the Offense goes the same way.

2. Avoid/minimize injuries. Can't afford to lose key players like Christenson in the middle of our winning streaks.

Of course, we need the Defense to pick up where they left or improve with more team speed.

Pass blocking needs to really pick up. Time to throw will help our passing game and provide confidence for the fellas. Too much pressure on our QBs last year.

I get your point, but Jeff Jones could not just as easily be a bust as a superstar. He has to work hard and prove it, yes, but odds are pretty good he will be very very good.

Agree 100% that he has a chance to be very good. But people love to bash Brewster by pointing out the 4 star players he recruited that didn't pan out. I totally get that fans get excited about the shiny new toy on the roster and many make the assumption that they are destined for greatness. I just prefer to err on the side of caution in terms of recruits. I hope guys like Jones, Edwards and the rest turn out to be great players I just choose to wait until they actually see the field before projecting them for greatness.

Agree 100% that he has a chance to be very good. But people love to bash Brewster by pointing out the 4 star players he recruited that didn't pan out. I totally get that fans get excited about the shiny new toy on the roster and many make the assumption that they are destined for greatness. I just prefer to err on the side of caution in terms of recruits. I hope guys like Jones, Edwards and the rest turn out to be great players I just choose to wait until they actually see the field before projecting them for greatness.

It must have been a long cold winter. Don't worry, spring will roll around sometimes in the next 6 months and the melancholy will ease. Going from 2 star recruits to 3 star recruits with a stable coaching staff that shows proof of player development and establishing systems for offense and defense should be all the hope any Gopher fan needs to stay positive.

Not long ago we were not even 1 deep in the depth chart for B1G talent. Now it is very different 2 and 3 deep. The conditioning has changed and we are not a lock to collapse in the 4th quarter against every decent team.

As much good young talent as Kill has brought in...there are going to major young stars on the field. We only need to bring these new guys into the system to be on a par with Wisconsin and Iowa and then the climb is not over.

I don't love to nitpick, but Maroney as the only one on your list from 2003. You have borrowed from at least 3 recruiting classes and left off one of my most favorite Gophers, Matt Spaeth who was 2002.

I don't love to nitpick, but Maroney as the only one on your list from 2003. You have borrowed from at least 3 recruiting classes and left off one of my most favorite Gophers, Matt Spaeth who was 2002.

Details...

... Not long ago we were not even 1 deep in the depth chart for B1G talent. Now it is very different 2 and 3 deep. The conditioning has changed and we are not a lock to collapse in the 4th quarter against every decent team...

We've got RB legs for four quarters. Why not play them all when the opportunity presents itself. I can think of two 4th quarter collapses that this would've have different outcomes had we had depth.

Top Bottom