What do we do with Edwards

Edwards is the only RB that truly has break away speed, he can turn any run into a TD. Kill has been talking about adding that type of player at RB for years. Edwards will most definitely get carries.

I think many of you are missing what I was trying to say. I'm not saying we have the ungodly amount of talent that will make us the best backfield ever, but rather how do you adapt in a situation where, seemingly for the first time in a while, we have several guys that (it appears) have enough talent to warrant discussion in getting carries. I know nothing about Edwards receiving skills, know Jones is stellar out of the backfield by all accounts, and Cobb seemed good in limited touches I saw. So what I'm getting at is, do you train/groom one of them to be your slot/motion guy while using the other 2 primarily out of the backfield? My thought would be to shift Edwards, like some have said, to the jet motion role to utilize his speed and get used to reading blocks from there which is entirely different from when you come out of the backfield. Just was more or less wondering if anyone had thought of any other mechanisms to utilize some of our projected playmakers more extensively, not start a debate about having "too much talent"

Edwards is the only RB that truly has break away speed, he can turn any run into a TD. Kill has been talking about adding that type of player at RB for years. Edwards will most definitely get carries.

I don't think there is any doubt they will try to incorporate him into the offense next year because speed is something we definitely have a need for. I think it remains to be seen though what kind of impact he will have and also whether or not he will be able to take the pounding dished out at this level. If everyone stays healthy in the backfield it should provide the staff the opportunity to pick their spots with Edwards because I don't know that he is someone that would project as an every down back.

Cobb had a huge year last year, but only had 1 carry in 2012. Kirkwood ran for 926 yds in 2012, but only had 52 carries last year. Injuries come into play. I am grateful for the depth we have now.

Edwards will be a change of pace guy who averages 8 yards a touch for 700+ yards.

It is pretty obvious it will be a 3 way tie for the Heisman Trophy this year (Cobb, Jones, Edwards). Unless we, as Nate said, trade Edwards for a DB.

Well, as I see it - the Gophers have a big QB who can run, and several good RB's. To me, that sounds like a perfect setup for some type of wishbone/triple option offense.

I'm not saying that should be the primary set, but I think it would be great for short yardage and goal-line situations. Put Kirkwood at the FB/up back, and 2 of Cobb, Edwards & Jones at the HB positions. This set allows you to run a dive, an off-tackle veer, a sweep, a counter play, or a QB keeper with 1 or 2 lead blockers. And, you can always fake the run and throw the ball to the TE who fakes a block and slips downfield.

Whattya think?

I think we run an 11 RB offense. Oh wait, I read another thread that we are going to an 11 TE offense. I'll have to think a little more about what our offense will look like.

Well, as I see it - the Gophers have a big QB who can run, and several good RB's. To me, that sounds like a perfect setup for some type of wishbone/triple option offense.

I'm not saying that should be the primary set, but I think it would be great for short yardage and goal-line situations. Put Kirkwood at the FB/up back, and 2 of Cobb, Edwards & Jones at the HB positions. This set allows you to run a dive, an off-tackle veer, a sweep, a counter play, or a QB keeper with 1 or 2 lead blockers. And, you can always fake the run and throw the ball to the TE who fakes a block and slips downfield.

Whattya think?

This coversation just turned interesting - from what are we going to do with Edwards to what will our offense look like.

Being that we had a great recruiting class for WR, I'm thinking we'll see a trend toward more balance rather than the run heavy offense we saw last year. I think we'll see our RBs active in the pass situation (rather than used almost exclusively as blockers). I see the screen pass being used very effectively this year. And bringing it back to the original thread, if Edwards can catch, we'll see a lot of him in the next year.

Maxx was a HS QB so that works with the TEs. :)

We are going to open the play book next year and see a lot of players running on and off the field quickly. Jones has a chance to be the leading receiver playing the slot. We could transition to a really high scoring offense in a year's time. The QBs and the OL have to really get it together.

Spring practices are going to move at the speed of light. Rapid execution, game style.

I would not be surprised to see the D score a TD a game either. We will average in the high 30s per game. Very glad McKinzy is in school.

Whattya think?

the triple option or wishbone is a primary set only to me. the mesh, timing, feel, reads all take a heck of a lot of practice to make them look at all believable. Just ask (Paul?) Johnson the GT coach. let's just stick with the jet option and zone read, both of which we have in place already. Plus Leidner is not quick enough to run the triple option. you need a quick QB to get you out on the edge or the DE is going to crash down on him too early or the OLB is going to be meeting him the backfield.

This coversation just turned interesting - from what are we going to do with Edwards to what will our offense look like.

Being that we had a great recruiting class for WR, I'm thinking we'll see a trend toward more balance rather than the run heavy offense we saw last year. I think we'll see our RBs active in the pass situation (rather than used almost exclusively as blockers). I see the screen pass being used very effectively this year. And bringing it back to the original thread, if Edwards can catch, we'll see a lot of him in the next year.

Sometimes we will have 3 TEs and a FB and at other times we will have 4 WRs. Crazy fun. Kill will get execution. He won't/can't open the play book to all the new skill players, but the QBs and OL are in the play book big time. That center position becomes more critical than ever making the right calls on the line.

We went nearly a decade without a legit B1G RB and now we have a couple of POTENTIALLY really good, high end backs in Edwards and Jones to go along with a guy who was legit B1G quality overall (Cobb) but who can't really take it to the house; which hurts when your QBs struggle to be consistent. My guess is Edwards isn't particularly nervous about Jones. He's a rock solid athlete and football player whose brother was a star; I'm sure he's ready to strap it up next to Jones and let the best man win. This thread, at least initially, made me chuckle more than any I've read in awhile.

Sometimes we will have 3 TEs and a FB and at other times we will have 4 WRs. Crazy fun. Kill will get execution. He won't/can't open the play book to all the new skill players, but the QBs and OL are in the play book big time. That center position becomes more critical than ever making the right calls on the line.

i agree with absolutely everything you just said. Let's hope that he gets execution from everyone in short order so teams can't scheme against us based on the personnel packages

We are going to open the play book next year and see a lot of players running on and off the field quickly. Jones has a chance to be the leading receiver playing the slot. We could transition to a really high scoring offense in a year's time. The QBs and the OL have to really get it together.

Spring practices are going to move at the speed of light. Rapid execution, game style.

I would not be surprised to see the D score a TD a game either. We will average in the high 30s per game. Very glad McKinzy is in school.

JJ said something about this last night in an interview.

You don't RS players like JJ. I get the "learn to block", "figure out CFB", blah, blah - but you talent like this on the field. If he RSs it will be due to injury. Otherwise he won't and shouldn't.

I realize that Jones is a solid looking RB and everything, a lot of hype with him, yet I dont think he sees the field this year. I am not saying he wont see the field due to academics keeping out of a gopher uniform, more so that we allready have a solid stable in front of Jones, and to expect (yes even a great High School RB) to come in and tear it up is unreasonable to me. Wasting his scholarship on 2 snaps a game seems like a waste, since those 2 to 8 touches should be going to Berkley who brings the speed element lacking this past year.

I see Jones' freshman year being one focused on getting his academics in order, learning the many aspects of college ball, and simply developing as an all around individual so he can fully contribute in 2015.

Valid points. I think red shirting him to beef up weight and focus on academics will in the long run benefit both the Gophers and him personally.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last year we got excited when we had one RB go over 1000yds in a season for the first time in a long time. There once was a time when our beloved Gophers had 2 RBs exceed 1000yds in the same season (Barber & Maroney. somehow the Badgers found a way to play 3 RBs last year who were productive (Gordon, White, Clement), 2 exceeded 1400yds and the third had over 500yds. A little competition is good for the team, may the best ones play. If they are equal or complementary, play them both. If our biggest problem is that we have too many RBs on the roster, I will take it.

JJ said something about this last night in an interview.

He's specifically mentioned playing WR to get on the field earlier. Seams like a team first guy. He looks good in his highlight video (yes, I know they can be deceiving) has a WR catching screens. I don't remember Edwards film to know if he played any WR. I can see Jones as the slot WR and Edwards as the change of pace back to Cobb (and Williams/Kirkwood to a less extent)...Jones will get carries as well.

I still think both Edwards and Jones will be brought in slowly like Jones and Wolitarsky last season.

Do people think either Jones or Edwards will return kickoffs or punts?

You don't RS players like JJ. I get the "learn to block", "figure out CFB", blah, blah - but you talent like this on the field. If he RSs it will be due to injury. Otherwise he won't and shouldn't.

I agree with you in general and feel that he probably will play, but if he is really struggling in camp or in the classroom I can see the coaches going slow with him because of the presence of Cobb and a few other viable options. If he shows up at camp and looks like the guy we all hope he will turn out to be then there is no doubt he sees the field right away but I don't think it is a lock until he gets on campus.

Do people think either Jones or Edwards will return kickoffs or punts?
I was talking about this with someone the other day and we both thought that would be a great way to get either of them on the field. I don't know if either have any experience in returning but I would hope that option is at least gonna be looked at during camp.

We just have too much talent at every position. This will be the death knell for Kill. It was fun while it lasted, but then we got too good. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think many of you are missing what I was trying to say. I'm not saying we have the ungodly amount of talent that will make us the best backfield ever, but rather how do you adapt in a situation where, seemingly for the first time in a while, we have several guys that (it appears) have enough talent to warrant discussion in getting carries. I know nothing about Edwards receiving skills, know Jones is stellar out of the backfield by all accounts, and Cobb seemed good in limited touches I saw. So what I'm getting at is, do you train/groom one of them to be your slot/motion guy while using the other 2 primarily out of the backfield? My thought would be to shift Edwards, like some have said, to the jet motion role to utilize his speed and get used to reading blocks from there which is entirely different from when you come out of the backfield. Just was more or less wondering if anyone had thought of any other mechanisms to utilize some of our projected playmakers more extensively, not start a debate about having "too much talent"

Berkley does have good receiving skills according to his ESPN evaluation and his top 2 traits on his ESPN profile are his speed and hands.

I was talking about this with someone the other day and we both thought that would be a great way to get either of them on the field. I don't know if either have any experience in returning but I would hope that option is at least gonna be looked at during camp.

Jones did return kicks some in HS, but I would be surprised if he did it in college. Berkeley is a more likely KR for us.

I read this thread and have come to this conclusion: So many experts, so little expertise. :)

Jones did return kicks some in HS, but I would be surprised if he did it in college. Berkeley is a more likely KR for us.

the coaches said they really like Craig James return abilities. I hope he redshirts though.

Top Bottom