What are the odds everyone comes back next year?

Odds on all rotation players returning

• Total voters
You keep saying this and every time you do youre wrong. Like objectively wrong.

This isnt a matter of opinion.

It absolutely matters who you play. Thats the entire reason the gophers are still not close to in. How can you possibly not grasp this? Im not even trying to be mean, someone couldnt try to be this stupid.
To be fair, they could’ve played a harder schedule and lost a bunch of games.

I thought the non-conference schedules for both Gophers basketball teams were horrendous. All they did was pad stats and hurt their odds.

I mean the real bottom teams.

Gophers women's team played a team so bad that the team was Net ranked one spot below a winless team the season before.

Last edited:

To be fair, they could’ve played a harder schedule and lost a bunch of games.

Yes you can. But it’ll also be losses that don’t hurt you.

Committee doesn’t look at record. West Virginia danced and they went 7-11 in B12 play last year.

The death nail is SOS in non con ANd having no good wins.

Teams can survive a bad SOS if they have 3-4 good games mixed in with some positive results. Gophs don’t have either.

Texas A & M has FIVE Q3 losses. But are still in most brackets because they have quality to offset it.

Enjoying the banter as always. Maybe the one thing I'm not sure on is the talk of NBA, G-League, etc. There are so many NBA draft boards, and if you look at a large enough sample size, it becomes pretty clear who is and isn't considered an NBA prospect (at least currently). Until that player's name starts showing up on at least one or a couple of them, I think we can take that out of the equation. So then, it's more about transfer portal vs. remaining with team, and that's it. Or in the case of a Fox, whether he chooses to play another year.

I'm simply responding to all the call-outs of the Gophers' non-conference schedule. And the over-hyping of other-teams' non-conference schedules.

I'm the one who cares about who we play. Everyone else is worried about the computers.
Huh? So do you think our schedule was actually really tough but the computer nerds got it wrong?

Hard to believe he can rehabilitate any more. Two rough injuries. My best guess is he stays with a “pitch count “ and limited minutes that allow him to be a factor but not overtax his knees.
Fox is not playing with a pitch count now. He is playing when needed. If Payne gets two fouls in the first 90 seconds, Fox is going to play the rest of the half.

Enjoying the banter as always. Maybe the one thing I'm not sure on is the talk of NBA, G-League, etc. There are so many NBA draft boards, and if you look at a large enough sample size, it becomes pretty clear who is and isn't considered an NBA prospect (at least currently). Until that player's name starts showing up on at least one or a couple of them, I think we can take that out of the equation. So then, it's more about transfer portal vs. remaining with team, and that's it. Or in the case of a Fox, whether he chooses to play another year.
None of us has any idea how Fox's knees are feeling during or after a game. But one thing I am very sure of is that Parker Fox enjoys and relishes every minute of this basketball season more than anyone else in the state of Minnesota.

If he is physically able, I can't see him giving up a final year of this.

Not sure if mentioned, but did anybody catch CBJ in the post-game talking about how Hawkins developing his mid-range game is going to help, "especially for next year."

Went with 20%.

Ola Jospeh now that his minutes has taken a huge drop he may be looking to move on.

Gotta keep Payne, Christie. Hawkins and one of Mitchell or Carrington. Do that and you have a decent core.

Garcia sticks around and you go from a decent core to a really good one.
What is Ola Joseph's situation? 0 minutes vs tOSU?

What is Ola Joseph's situation? 0 minutes vs tOSU?
I’ve been told you’re not supposed to talk about it, find it surprising how far JOJ minutes have fallen in such a short time or monitor the situation.

If you do then you’re someone who has never “laced’em up”. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

None of us has any idea how Fox's knees are feeling during or after a game. But one thing I am very sure of is that Parker Fox enjoys and relishes every minute of this basketball season more than anyone else in the state of Minnesota.

If he is physically able, I can't see him giving up a final year of this.

No one really knows, but one can guess. I've watched him walk off the court gingerly, pull out the resistance band and rehab his knee on the sideline for 10 minutes. Having been around a couple rehabs, it's pretty clear he's still having some pain. or tightness if he was doing that in-game.

He was also recently asked if he'd be back next season, and he replied that he didn't know if his knees could take another season. No doubt he loves the game, but his knees are hurting.

You keep saying this and every time you do youre wrong. Like objectively wrong.

This isnt a matter of opinion.

It absolutely matters who you play. Thats the entire reason the gophers are still not close to in. How can you possibly not grasp this? Im not even trying to be mean, someone couldnt try to be this stupid.

Yes you can. But it’ll also be losses that don’t hurt you.

Committee doesn’t look at record. West Virginia danced and they went 7-11 in B12 play last year.

The death nail is SOS in non con ANd having no good wins.

Teams can survive a bad SOS if they have 3-4 good games mixed in with some positive results. Gophs don’t have either.

Texas A & M has FIVE Q3 losses. But are still in most brackets because they have quality to offset it.

You're not understanding my point. And you're getting a lot of 'likes' for you're comments. So let me be extra clear....

I'm telling you MY opinion. I'm not telling you what the NCAA is looking for.

Conference record and how well you're playing should be used to select teams. With non-conference as a tie-break or smaller factor.

And the NCAA knows this. But...they're making billions and want ratings...and they want us to obsess over ALL the games. They want us obsessing and talking non-stop about computers.

I'm not going to play that game. I'm especially not going to criticize our coach or team for what a computer says. Or continue to lament the Missouri loss. If the NCAA actually decides to screw us over...I will simply chalk it up to another typical stupid thing on the news these days...and forget about it.

What the computer does not understand is that a game in November means diddly squat compared to a Big Ten game in February.
Yeah, that's not a computer problem, that's a problem in trying to evaluate strength of schedule in general. We've run into this issue in college sports long before people blamed computers for this stuff.

You're not understanding my point. And you're getting a lot of 'likes' for you're comments. So let me be extra clear....

Conference record and how well you're playing should be used to select teams. With non-conference as a tie-break or smaller factor.

And the NCAA knows this. But...they're making billions and want ratings...and they want us to obsess over ALL the games. They want us obsessing and talking non-stop about computers.

I'm not going to play that game. I'm especially not going to criticize our coach or team for what a computer says. Or continue to lament the Missouri loss. If the NCAA actually decides to screw us over...I will simply chalk it up to another typical stupid thing on the news these days...and forget about it.
It's not a "computer saying" these things. It's a computer calculating what a human said they thought was important. You're blaming a hammer for a house you don't like.

As to the general point, is this your opinion because you believe it would get the best 64 teams into the tournament?

If the selection committees used your standards (strongly favoring conference play), do you think that field would be better than how it is set up now?

It's not a "computer saying" these things. It's a computer calculating what a human said they thought was important. You're blaming a hammer for a house you don't like.

As to the general point, is this your opinion because you believe it would get the best 64 teams into the tournament?

If the selection committees used your standards (strongly favoring conference play), do you think that field would be better than how it is set up now?
I think non-conference is the time to figure-out your team...and then teams play each other in conference. And I don't like leapfrogging...unless there are special circumstances.

I think everything should be considered. Computers are a tool to be used...but not relied upon.

No one really knows, but one can guess. I've watched him walk off the court gingerly, pull out the resistance band and rehab his knee on the sideline for 10 minutes. Having been around a couple rehabs, it's pretty clear he's still having some pain. or tightness if he was doing that in-game.

He was also recently asked if he'd be back next season, and he replied that he didn't know if his knees could take another season. No doubt he loves the game, but his knees are hurting.
He had a big smile when he told the interviewer he didn't know if the knees would hold. He probably is not even thinking about it now, he is so into the moment. But you won't see many guys with two good knees swat the ball away from a guy in the paint and then get on his belly to dig up the loose ball and get it to his teammate while lying down.

He may not know yet, but I know what he wants to do.

I think non-conference is the time to figure-out your team...and then teams play each other in conference. And I don't like leapfrogging...unless there are special circumstances.

I think everything should be considered. Computers are a tool to be used...but not relied upon.
I'm not even arguing with you now, but in a system where not everyone plays everyone it's really hard to tell if 10-8 in the ACC is better than 9-9 in the Big 10.

When it comes to post season in NCAA, there are really two camps and everyone seems to fit into or between these two camps: (1) teams that deserve it the most get to go to post season; (2) the best teams get to go.

I'm just trying to figure out why you think what you think (not saying it's wrong). Do you think minimizing the impact of non-conference games is more likely to put the better teams in the tournament? Or is your argument more that if you finish with a good record in a P5 conference you deserve to go to the tournament? Or both.

So what you are saying is you are going to pick and choose which games to count.

Yeah, aint nobody in any sport going to go along with that. Its called fantasy land. And youre clogging the board and threads with real discussion.

You are going on incoherent tangents of your opinion on how things should go in a alternate universe. When people are discussing the resumes of the gophers and teams in the real world

Why would teams even play a single game in november or december under your deluded logic?

I’ve been told you’re not supposed to talk about it, find it surprising how far JOJ minutes have fallen in such a short time or monitor the situation.

If you do then you’re someone who has never “laced’em up”. 🤷‍♂️
I think it's pretty simple.

Ben realized that he absolutely cannot play JOJ or Ihnen at the wing and they are both being outplayed by Parker Fox for backup minutes on the post.

JOJ is a classic tweener. If anyone leaves, it's him to a lower level like the MAC.

Not sure if mentioned, but did anybody catch CBJ in the post-game talking about how Hawkins developing his mid-range game is going to help, "especially for next year."
Yeah I caught that as well. I mean it isn't really shocking as Hawkins has limited pro potential and has already transferred so I am sure when he came here the thought was always to play 2 years.

But having zero uncertainty about him being back will help because any transfers watching will know they are coming to a team with a really good pass first point guard, and for the guys currently on the team I would think they would want to keep playing with Hawkins as well.

He makes everything go and has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. If he improves on his finishing at the basket and mid range game.....look out....because it will make him even harder to cover.

"In a separate case about the NCAA's rules that restrict a student-athlete's ability to transfer to a new school without penalty, a federal judge decided in December to grant an injunction. That ruling compelled the NCAA to change its rules to allow student-athletes to transfer as many times as they would like during their college careers while the case is pending."
These guys can transfer as many times as they'd like at the moment.
They can also pick the school that gives them the most money to transfer with todays' ruling.
Injunction

We have no clue what the future is going to hold but was thinking about what next year could look like if the key guys all come back, and then also what the team would need to take the next step. So assume guys are coming back - what does this team need to add?

To me, the team needs a true star player to lean on in tough situations. Now that guy might already be on the roster in Cam or they might need to go find someone.

Option 1 - pretty much have the pieces already
Starters - Hawkins, Mitchell, Christie, Payne Garcia
Bench - Asuma, Carrington, Fox
Wild Cards - JOJ, Betts, Kienys
Needs - backup center, backup wing/combo guard

Option 2 - Bring in a starter from the portal
Starters - Hawkins, Christie, Payne, Garcia, Transfer wing/combo guard
Bench - Mitchell, Asuma, Carrington, Fox
Wild Cards - JOJ, Betts, Kienys
Needs - maybe a backup center is all this group would need

In both cases I am assuming that Ihnen either retires or moves on and that Groves redshirts. Wild cards are potential transfers or guys that develop into useful pieces of the rotation. Tough to say where it will go for them. Obviously there is a good chance we will lose somebody from the key guys but for fun I want to look at what could happen if they all come back. One can dream we won't be caught up in this crazy messed up roster turnover world for a year can't they? :)

Top Bottom