What are the odds everyone comes back next year?

Odds on all rotation players returning

• Total voters
Christie isn’t close to being a first round pick at this point, based on the following - Max was a much higher ranked recruit than Cam. 5 star who was the 2nd ranked SG and 22nd player in his class - this is yet another 🍎 & 🍊comparison. Cam’s also not listed byNBA draft.net, which lists 4 or 5 Kentucky Wildcat Freshmen as likely first round picks, nor is Cam listed in the second round either.

In addition to the aforementioned top level freshman recruits, there are a ton of international guards/wings. He’s a year or two away from being a serious threat to declare for the draft.

A trip to the weight room and work on his handles, Christie will be ready to be a star. Needs to ask BC what he did on the off-season, the things that BC is doing now, he couldn't do last year.

He didn’t want to sit on the bench year 1, pretty easy to see this.
You recall this post of yours?

Mark my words, Payne will transfer. He knows he is the best big man and CBJ is screwing it up by not playing him. He see's his team stepping on their D***s against this garbage team

A trip to the weight room and work on his handles, Christie will be ready to be a star. Needs to ask BC what he did on the off-season, the things that BC is doing now, he couldn't do last year.
He definitely has the tools to get there and I don’t see him not putting in the requisite effort. Will be fun to watch develop.

He didn’t want to sit on the bench year 1, pretty easy to see this.
Yeah that’s all part of the master plan🤣🤣
You’re moving from 🧌 to 🤡 territory bro.

Put you money where your mouth is: if Cam Christie transfers for his Sophomore season, I’m off Gopherhole for the entire 2024-2025 basketball season and if Cam Christie doesn’t transfers for his Sophomore season, you’re off Gopherhole for the entire 2024-2025 basketball season.

Prove to everyone on here that you’re really the basketball savant you fancy yourself to be. Otherwise, 🤐.

Last edited:

Put you money where your mouth is: if Cam Christie transfers for his Sophomore season, I’m off Gopherhole for the entire 2024-2025 basketball season and if Cam Christie doesn’t transfers for his Sophomore season, you’re off Gopherhole for the entire 2024-2025 basketball season.

Prove to everyone on here that you’re really the basketball savant you fancy yourself to be. Otherwise, 🤐.
I didn’t say he will transfer, but I don’t think it’s crazy that if does…it’s almost more logical though, if he wants to get to the nba.

-better coaching
-better practice against better teammates
-better non-conference
-more televised game (even though nba recruits will find you wherever if you can play)
-programs who have blueprints of getting players to the pros

Current Gophers regime has hope other programs have track records of doing this, some consistently.

As far as Christie, I think we all have to assume he'll consider the NBA. He has had a fantastic freshman season, his game translates, and his brother went after a far less impressive FR season. That season cuts both ways - for Max Christie he was selling potential and it would be really hard to sell potential after two college seasons without breaking out.

I don't think he ultimately goes pro. This draft is very international heavy and there are several G League guys. I'd have a hard time seeing him crack into the first round.

I think if he stays, he returns to the U. He is sitting on a very winnable lottery ticket and the only thing he and his camp should concern themselves with is development. He is clearly a good fit here. He gets to play with other ball handlers but is still given the freedom to play on the ball. He will get minutes and shots. He is in a perfect spot where he can highlight his ball handling without exposing too many warts (maybe he isn't an NBA point?). He also will get the shots he needs without being forced to put the whole offense on his back.

I think he'll consider the NBA, as he should, but he will return to the U.

As far as Garcia, I think it's a coin flip. I hope he returns. He's had an odd run in the college game and he is building momentum. He is just a really good basketball player and if he can put that on display on an NCAA team, it'll really seal a nice NCAA career.

CBJ doesn't even have to sell hope to these kids. This will be a really fun team next year and they know they can play with and beat anyone.

I didn’t say he will transfer, but I don’t think it’s crazy that if does…it’s almost more logical though, if he wants to get to the nba.

-better coaching
-better practice against better teammates
-better non-conference
-more televised game (even though nba recruits will find you wherever if you can play)
-programs who have blueprints of getting players to the pros
All the above would have been possible this season as well, so why wait a year?

As far as him having to sit at ALL of the other schools thst offered him, that’s highly unlikely for a player who will make the All Freshman Team, pretty much a mortal 🔓, at this juncture and is likely the runner up for B10 Freshman of the year, to Freeman @ Iowa.
Current Gophers regime has hope other programs have track records of doing this, some consistently.
Some players like to build their own legacy, I’m surprised that wouldn’t occur to you.

Not surprised you won’t take the bet, so I won’t ask again.

I’ll just enjoy, as we continue to stack Ws, as we March towards a postseason tournament.

Last edited:

Went with 20%.

Ola Jospeh now that his minutes has taken a huge drop he may be looking to move on.

Gotta keep Payne, Christie. Hawkins and one of Mitchell or Carrington. Do that and you have a decent core.

Garcia sticks around and you go from a decent core to a really good one.

Not a fair bet. Never give up something for nothing.

I went with 10%. There is so much of this season to still play out that there are a lot of unknowns. My working assumption is that Ben will get another year and it will finally be "no bs" time- either make the tournament or you are gone.

Garcia- Have to have him back. One of the best offensive hubs in the entire B1G...and our offense is still bad with him. I could see him leaving for pro opportunities, but doubt he'd transfer to another school for NIL reasons. The reason I say that is his tenure went so poorly at UNC that I don't see him risking a scenario where he goes to a more talented team where his role could eventually be usurped by another player on the roster.

Payne- Probably the most likely guy to get a big NIL offer that could leave. He's right behind Garcia in guys that absolutely need to be back next year.

Christie- His brother left MSU after a rather underwhelming freshman year. This is a weak NBA draft. I don't think it's out of the question that he either finds a way in to the 2nd round or gets a promise of a two way deal. Maybe leaving for the pros is a ~20% outcome? I don't think he would transfer as a guaranteed role is a system he's comfortable with is more important than NIL $ in his current situation.

Mitchell/Carrington- I lump these two together because if my assumptions of a 4th season for Ben Johnson without making an NCAA tournament in 3 years comes to pass, he will have to know its winning time. I would think/hope he'd aggressively target a wing in the portal. This would mean less minutes for Mitchell and Carrington, and in the case of Mitchell would mean a move from starting to the bench. Combine this factor with Carrington's leave of abscence and uneven playing time this year and a transfer from either of both would not surprise me.

Hawkins- Seems like one of the most likely guys to stick around if my assumptions about the finish to this season are correct. Not many teams with portal $ are going to be looking to invest in a 5'8-5'9 guy to run their team.

Fox/Ihnen- Both older guys coming off multiple injuries who may be ready to move on with their lives. Fox as the big off the bench would be a loss and would need to be replaced. I would hope Ihnen would be a guy that either moved to a lower level to play more or decides to call it a career.

Betts/Keinys- Two total unknowns. I have no idea how either have looked in practice, but neither can get minutes. The fact that Keinys didn't redshirt and played mop up duty in like 2 games all season suggests to me he's likely gone. Betts might be a long term project that is ready to play next season.

Ola-Joseph- Probably the most likely transfer in my mind. His situation reminds me of Treyton Thompson (Ola-Joseph more talented) in that both guys seem unwilling/unable to see themselves in the role Ben Johnson (correctly IMHO) wants them to play. In Thompson's case, he basically refused to do a lot of the Center things and saw himself more as a stretch 4. Ben wanted him inside banging, and Treyton would find himself floating to the perimeter more often than not. Ben clearly wants JOJ to be an energy guy who defends multiple positions and hits the glass hard. What's more frustrating about JOJ is he has shown the ability to be a force on the boards, but simply doesn't do it. Defenisvely, he appears to have the ability to defend, but has never actually defended well.

Defining "tough non-conference games" as teams currently in the NET top 75 (Quads 1 & 2), I did a little research. Here's what my I came up with.

Of the 80 Power 6 basketball programs, 55 (68.8%) have played 3 or more non-conference opponents with a NET currently in the top 75. There are the 25 that have played 2 or less:

2 -- BYU, Cincinnati, Colorado, Louisville, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Providence, Seton Hall, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Washington State

1 -- Georgetown, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Oregon, Pitt, Stanford, UCF

The average number of tough non-conference games among the 80 Power 6 programs is 3.337, well above 2.

With regards to ". ... (including the top teams) have about 2 tough non-conference games", I did a sampling of some teams that most would consider top teams/programs current day and/or over the last 25 years, which includes every program that has won a national title since 2000. Here's that sampling:

7 -- Alabama, Purdue

6 -- Arizona, Michigan State, Wisconsin

5 -- Baylor, Florida, Marquette, North Carolina, Tennessee, UCLA

4 -- Creighton, Houston, Kansas, UConn

3 -- Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse, Villanova, Virginia

2 -- Louisville

Those 21 "top teams" this season are averaging 4.523 tough non-conference games, well over "about 2".
I don't define a 'tough game' by what a computer says. I define it by my own eyes. And I still contend that most teams, even the top teams, only play about 2 tough non-conference games per year.

Let alone winning those games. #1 UConn hasn't beaten a non-conference Top-25 team on the road in 10 years. Lost 21 straight.

So I highly doubt that our non-conference computer SOS will have any effect on Christie's decision to stay or not...as you suggested.

All you guys lamenting our non-conference schedule...shouldn't you be calling-out #1 UConn instead?? What's their excuse?

All you guys lamenting our non-conference schedule...shouldn't you be calling-out #1 UConn instead?? What's their excuse?
UConn has played Texas, Kansas, North Carolina, and Gonzaga. That’s 4. Your previously stated benchmark for playing good teams is 2.

What’s your point?

Man if Fox can further rehabilitate/strengthen his knees we have a fantastic 6th man next year ... if.
Hard to believe he can rehabilitate any more. Two rough injuries. My best guess is he stays with a “pitch count “ and limited minutes that allow him to be a factor but not overtax his knees.

All the above would have been possible this season as well, so why wait a year?

As far as him having to sit at ALL of the other schools thst offered him, that’s highly unlikely for a player who will make the All Freshman Team, pretty much a mortal 🔓, at this juncture and is likely the runner up for B10 Freshman of the year, to Freeman @ Iowa.

Some players like to build their own legacy, I’m surprised that wouldn’t occur to you.

Not surprised you won’t take the bet, so I won’t ask again.

I’ll just enjoy, as we continue to stack Ws, as we March towards a postseason tournament.
I enjoy our banter too much

UConn has played Texas, Kansas, North Carolina, and Gonzaga. That’s 4. Your previously stated benchmark for playing good teams is 2.

What’s your point?
This would also be a weird place to call out UCONN basketball.

I care about Gopher basketball and who we play.

What’s your point?
@ Kansas & neutral-court North Carolina are tough games.

Unranked Texas & unranked Gonzaga on neutral courts aren't tough games. They're decent games.

This would also be a weird place to call out UCONN basketball.

I care about Gopher basketball and who we play.
I'm simply responding to all the call-outs of the Gophers' non-conference schedule. And the over-hyping of other-teams' non-conference schedules.

I'm the one who cares about who we play. Everyone else is worried about the computers.

@ Kansas & neutral-court North Carolina are tough games.

Unranked Texas & unranked Gonzaga on neutral courts aren't tough games. They're decent games.

Dude, you dont even try to stick in this reality.

Texas and Gonzaga are both top 35 metric teams.

For this thread, the answer is quite literally 0 if its asking any of the scholoarship players.

If all of the top 7 comeback then someone from the bottom group is 100% leaving.

There is 0 chance this exact roster is back.

Dude, you dont even try to stick in this reality.

Texas and Gonzaga are both top 35 metric teams.
What's so great about playing a top-35 team on a neutral court??

The negativity on this board...lambasting our schedule while praising everyone else.

huh?!?!?! We played teams in the 250s and above

If you cant see the difference, there is now medical miracle that will save you
Once again...you're too obsessed with computers.

For instance...a home game vs the #50 computer team isn't anything so great & so difficult. In pre-season, in reality...it doesn't matter much if we play the #250 team or #100 team.

Once again...you're too obsessed with computers.

For instance...a home game vs the #50 computer team isn't anything so great & so difficult. In pre-season, in reality...it doesn't matter much if we play the #250 team or #100 team.

You keep saying this and every time you do youre wrong. Like objectively wrong.

This isnt a matter of opinion.

It absolutely matters who you play. Thats the entire reason the gophers are still not close to in. How can you possibly not grasp this? Im not even trying to be mean, someone couldnt try to be this stupid.

Top Bottom