Week 3 Other Games Thread

Congratulations to Western Michigan for clinching the Big Ten Illinois Division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck keeps "Rowing The Boat". Tremendous job in getting his players, the University, and the Community to rally and support the program. I personally had hoped we would strongly consider him if we weren't going to go with Coach Claeys as HC.

Not targeting....he even bent over to seemingly try to avoid the head...

If you look at the rule, it's targeting. Tough. But right call.

A helmet to the neck area is an ejection by the book. Even if he led with his shoulder.

Yes you go for 2 first.

You might not get two possessions and likely guarantee needing an onside kick as well. Get the game to 8 and give your self a chance for one drive and 2 pt.

Miss the 2 pt with six minutes left and now you likely need to onside putting the opponent in FG range if you don't recover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJ Fleck keeps "Rowing The Boat". Tremendous job in getting his players, the University, and the Community to rally and support the program. I personally had hoped we would strongly consider him if we weren't going to go with Coach Claeys as HC.

The only problem with a guy like that is he's here maybe 1 to 3 years and moves on to the bigger, better gig where you get way more support.

PJ is a great motivator, but I'm not convinced he moves up and does well over the long haul. It's a steeper hill to climb outside the MAC. He admits he's not an Xs and Os guy so you have to staff him properly with coordinators and at the next level doing so is pricey and hard, and IMO it wouldn't take long to kill his momentum.... Unless he's got a loyal staff you know can coordinate well I'm not so sure about that guy.

The only problem with a guy like that is he's here maybe 1 to 3 years and moves on to the bigger, better gig where you get way more support.

Anyone coming to MN might do that anyway.

Heck if we could get a guy or two to do that, win the B1G... ok thank's man c ya later!

Go look at the targeting call against the Georgia player against Mizzou. Clearly catch interference on the punt but no helmet to helmet contact that I saw.

Some late night football happening right now, close one between Texas and Cal. 4th quarter, Cal leads 43-40

Tremendous

Question for everyone. If you are down 15 and score a TD with about 6 minutes left, why wouldn't you go for 2 there? Either way you have to go for 2 at some point so why not do it right away? Then if you don't get it, you know you still have to score two more times.

A lot of people would say you 'extend the game' by going for one. I think you can argue it either way.

If this by rule is targeting, it's a bullsh!t rule. Let's just hang a couple flags off the players' hips if this is what it is coming to.

Agreed. They still haven't figured this one out, much like the NFL doesn't know what a "catch" is. You have to keep the rule in some form to protect players, but referees need to be given WAY more leeway during replays to overturn these ejections. In my opinion, you only eject players who are clearly launching and head-hunting. I know it's hard to figure out "intent," but in cases like this Duke one (and I'd say Celestin's against OSU) where the letter of the law says ejection, but the replay clearly shows a player lowering his level, leading with his shoulder, and not trying in any way to intentionally hit the head...come on. I mean, in this case the Umpire was staring DIRECTLY at the play and didn't throw a flag.

Not targeting....he even bent over to seemingly try to avoid the head...

Looks like a perfectly clean hit to me. Bends down to avoid contact with head, turns sideways to lead with arm/shoulder and not his own helmet. Not sure what else he is suppose to do besides get out of the way and let them score every time.

Bye bye Texas. That loss (plus Oklahoma, Iowa and the way Florida State lost) will keep Wisconsin close to the top 10. Sets up a big game in East Lansing next week.

My guess at the top 5 this week:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

Bye bye Texas. That loss (plus Oklahoma, Iowa and the way Florida State lost) will keep Wisconsin close to the top 10. Sets up a big game in East Lansing next week.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

Out of sheer inertia this probably won't happen but I think Stanford would defeat Michigan and
Clemson hasn't been that impressive. Michigan couldn't stop a decent QB yesterday until he went down with an ankle injury. The second half was a story of a tired Colorado defense being on the field far too much. I don't know what happened with Alabama but that Big 12 style score surprised the heck out of me. Gotta love college football.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

Chance B1G has 4 of top 10 teams...good chance 4 of top 11.

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Michigan
5. Clemson

I'd put Houston in the top 5 right now.

1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Louisville
4-7 are MSU, Michigan, Houston and Clemson in any order.

I'd really enjoy seeing Louisville and Houston in the playoff along with OSU or another Big Ten team.

You might not get two possessions and likely guarantee needing an onside kick as well. Get the game to 8 and give your self a chance for one drive and 2 pt.

Miss the 2 pt with six minutes left and now you likely need to onside putting the opponent in FG range if you don't recover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need the same thing either way: 2 TDs and at least one converted 2-point conversion. I don't remember the game but a coach did go for 2 in a similar situation recently and the announcer ripped into the coach like it was a horrible decision. I can see the argument for each situation.

1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Louisville
4-7 are MSU, Michigan, Houston and Clemson in any order.

I'd really enjoy seeing Louisville and Houston in the playoff along with OSU or another Big Ten team.

I think in order of dibs for the playoff it looks like this:

1 - SEC Champ Bama
2 - Big Ten Champion
3 - One of Clemson/Houston/Louisville
4 - SEC Champ not named Bama
5 - Pac 12 Champ Named Washington or Stanford

If somehow 2 of those 5 don't happen it could be mass chaos. For instance, if someone other than Stanford and Washington wins the Pac 12...the 4th playoff spot gets really interesting. Especially if Houston beats Louisville and goes unbeaten.

1 - SEC Champ Bama
2 - Big Ten Champion

If somehow 2 of those 5 don't happen it could be mass chaos. For instance, if someone other than Stanford and Washington wins the Pac 12...the 4th playoff spot gets really interesting. Especially if Houston beats Louisville and goes unbeaten.

I don't think it'd be that interesting. If Houston goes undefeated they are a lock IMO.

1 - SEC Champ Bama
2 - Big Ten Champion

Absolutely no way an undefeated PAC 12 champ doesn't get in over the SEC loser/runner-up or Houston. It simply won't happen based on history and internal politics. I'd love to see Houston get a shot if they continue to dominate and defeat Louisville.

Absolutely no way an undefeated PAC 12 champ doesn't get in over the SEC loser/runner-up or Houston. It simply won't happen based on history and internal politics. I'd love to see Houston get a shot if they continue to dominate and defeat Louisville.

Yeah, that Houston/Louisville game is going to be special if they both keep winning...

I'm not following college football as closely as I used to and when I looked at the Nebraska/Oregon box, I saw Tommy Armstrong was still playing QB for the Huskers. Is he going to be eligible for Social Security on the same day the season is over? It's like the guy has been playing forever.

I mean, their helmets are touching. So I consider that to be the head or neck area.

http://i.imgur.com/doTjfHI.png

I'm not sure that shows what you think it shows.

But any helmet contact on a hit is not targeting, it might seem like it sometimes, but that's not how it works. You could argue targeting on nearly every play if that was the case.

I'm not following college football as closely as I used to and when I looked at the Nebraska/Oregon box, I saw Tommy Armstrong was still playing QB for the Huskers. Is he going to be eligible for Social Security on the same day the season is over? It's like the guy has been playing forever.

It seems that way doesn't it?

If Lousiville is a 1 loss ACC champion with a loss to Houston and a win over Clemson in the ACC championship game, I personally think Houston would go over even an unbeaten Stanford. But it wouldn't matter, because either Bama or a non-bama SEC champ would be out. Leaving a spot for unbeaten Stanford.

You misread my scenario. It is impossible for all 5 of those things to happen.

Top Bottom