Weather Forecast for Eastern Michigan -- Minnesota

I think it is closer to 10,000 my brother has Season tix to both Vikings and Gophers football, there are probably a lot more people like him than only 1,000 overlap. Different crowd yes, but there are a lot of people that love football in MN.
That would be 40% of gopher season ticket holders had vikings tickets.

The counter argument is lets say the Gophers get 40,000 on Saturday night and Vikings get 65,000 on Sunday... I am guessing there are some fans that do both games, but most likely less than 1,000 of them. You can safely assume that over 100,000 people are spending their entertainment dollar on high level football - whether it be Big Ten or the NFL.

It's not going to change - I think PJ has done a great job of understanding what his program is to the city and where their niche is. He has embraced (maybe created?) the One MN where the other teams are fans of the other teams. PJ recently had them at a Vikings game and a Twins game. Guarantee that Ruhle hasn't brought Nebraska to other sporting events - not saying it is a good thing or bad thing, you just can't compare the U of M to very many other places.
It's too bad because the Gophers have a far better product...pass on the team that plays on Sunday

I'm going to be at the Vikings on Sunday (after the Gophers on Saturday) - I agreed to go to a Vikings game with friends not realizing they'd select one after the Gophers...I'm somewhat dreading it now! lol.

I have had so many bad experiences at NFL games with fan conduct. Totally unrelated to the topic at hand - but hey, I'm typin' here (*with a NY accent)!
You couldn't pay me to go to a Vikings game. I don't dig that scene

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing there isn't a huge crossover between Gopher football and the weirdos who frequent the Renaissance
I hate the ren fest but the few times I've been there, sure there are plenty of nerds, but also lots of the same kind of people that go to sports.

I haven't been to a Vikings game in over 20 years. Fans were just too obnoxious. But I think a lot of that might depend on your seats. The more expensive seats probably have better behaved fans (I was in the cheap seats).

I haven't been to a Vikings game in over 20 years. Fans were just too obnoxious. But I think a lot of that might depend on your seats. The more expensive seats probably have better behaved fans (I was in the cheap seats).
I have had season tickets for both for over 20 years in the lower rows. In general, the fans @ Vikings games are more drunk n obnoxious than the @ the Gopher games. The season ticket holders in my Vikings section are good but many sell their seats throughout the season and many of the 1 gamers come hammered.

I very much feel similarly. The Gopher gameday vibe is so much happier, nicer, and MORE fun! The tribalism of sports is super toxic at NFL games. Half of the NFL games I've gone to I have felt unsafe at times due to belligerent rival fans looking to fight. I am not exaggerating - fans have been arrested around me more than once.

I'm just a dude NOT trying to get into a domestic at a damn football game.

It blows my friggen mind that people treat sport fandom like they are in a gang. But humans really are a tribal species learning to live globally.

The rain for tomorrow looks less and less concerning. Widely scattered sprinkles or a light shower will be possible, but should remain short lived if one hits the stadium. I don't think a thunderstorm will happen either. If it rains it will just be enough to dampen the ground for a short amount of time.

Overall it looks like a pretty good night for football.

That would be 40% of gopher season ticket holders had vikings tickets.
Not 10,000 crossover season tix just 10,000 to 12,000 fans per game. I misspoke, my brother said both Vikings and Gophers are starting to price kids and family's out of game. Thank goodness we actually have the Red Baron Pizza tickets and Cub family packs for the Gophers. There are crossover fans from both Vikings and Packers at Gopher games. I'm lucky if I go to one NFL game because I just don't handle the noise and swearing as well of an NFL game, NFL games used to be exciting. I just dont Enjoy NFL games like I used to. NFL games have become obnoxiously loud and vulgar, to many dopes looking for fights and Jaw jacking at NFL games. Maybe it is just Bears Vikings, and Vikings Packers are like this. Instead of fun people at those games have become drunk and crude. Last years Bears Vikings game was particularly off putting.

Last edited:

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing there isn't a huge crossover between Gopher football and the weirdos who frequent the Renaissance
You would be surprised. It's probably like HD riders and Sturgis. Many CEOs, other business leaders, judges, lawyers, law enforcement, etc.

From The Weather Channel: Rainy

Saturday, September 9​

7:00 pm​

Few Showers
71°
32%
N 7 mph

8:00 pm​

Mostly Cloudy
69°
24%
N 7 mph

9:00 pm​

Few Showers
68°
31%
N 5 mph

10:00 pm​

Showers
65°
38%
N 6 mph

11:00 pm​

Showers
64°
46%
N 6 mph

I remember going to the 2nd game played at Target Field.

For a very brief period there was some rain and I don't remember if the game was delayed or not ...

When it rained the crowd cheered, was nice to be outside with rain again. I try to enjoy it considering the other possibilities.

You would be surprised. It's probably like HD riders and Sturgis. Many CEOs, other business leaders, judges, lawyers, law enforcement, etc.
Haha I believe it, was just making a stupid joke.

I have season tickets to Gopher football, the Guthrie, and the Minnesota Opera.

I remember going to the 2nd game played at Target Field.

For a very brief period there was some rain and I don't remember if the game was delayed or not ...

When it rained the crowd cheered, was nice to be outside with rain again. I try to enjoy it considering the other possibilities.
vs. Boston
No delay, just a lot of people thrilled that we weren’t stuck inside and celebrating playing outdoor baseball again
I was row 3 behind the Twins dugout
Tomorrow I’ll be row 1 behind the dugout before heading to the Gopher game

I have season tickets to Gopher football, the Guthrie, and the Minnesota Opera.
My parents had Guthrie and MN Orchestra season tickets, and loved to go to Gophs football games.

I have been to one Vikings game since 2013 (the playoff game last year). Meanwhile, I have missed 4 Gopher games dating back to 2006 so I’d say I am a Gopher frequent flyer.

The crowds really started changing at Viking games throughout the 00’s. It grew younger and more drunk, and dare I say, more “red necky”. I really observed closely at the game I went to last year and it felt like there were many more people that I suspected being in a place in life where attending a Viking game likely pushed hard on their finances. I suppose the combo of being younger and highly financially invested makes a lot of these people feel they need to get the most out of their experience and that often means drinking. A lot.

As the Vikings lost and we began to leave the stadium, we decided to hit the bathroom. There was a sizable line, given all the booze consumed. While in line, a staggering intoxicated older dude (at least mid 60’s) attempted to get in line, but drunkenly had his momentum get the best of him as he started to go down. I caught him as he slammed into me hard, and I kept him on his feet, barely.

As we entered the bathroom, he couldn’t wait any longer, and pissed his pants. He quickly stumbled over to use a waste paper barrel, but by then the pee was soaking his front side and rushing out of his pant legs. He finally finished, right there in front of everyone in the waste paper basket.

You see the occasional wasted college kid at a Gopher game but when is the last time you saw something like that from someone over 30 at Huntington Bank Stadium (for a Gopher game)?

From The Weather Channel: Rainy

Saturday, September 9​

Few Showers
71°
32%
N 7 mph

8:00 pm​

Mostly Cloudy
69°
24%
N 7 mph

9:00 pm​

Few Showers
68°
31%
N 5 mph

10:00 pm​

Showers
65°
38%
N 6 mph

11:00 pm​

Showers
64°
46%
N 6 mph

Revised start-time weather conditions as of 6:30 AM this morning:

Few Showers
70°
31%
NNW 9 mph
  • Feels Like70°
  • WindNNW 9 mph
  • Humidity69%
  • UV Index0 of 11
  • Cloud Cover94%
  • Rain Amount0.01 in

The fixation with the weather is a bit embarrassing and similar to worrying about the traffic and leaving early.

I have been to one Vikings game since 2013 (the playoff game last year). Meanwhile, I have missed 4 Gopher games dating back to 2006 so I’d say I am a Gopher frequent flyer.

The crowds really started changing at Viking games throughout the 00’s. It grew younger and more drunk, and dare I say, more “red necky”. I really observed closely at the game I went to last year and it felt like there were many more people that I suspected being in a place in life where attending a Viking game likely pushed hard on their finances. I suppose the combo of being younger and highly financially invested makes a lot of these people feel they need to get the most out of their experience and that often means drinking. A lot.

As the Vikings lost and we began to leave the stadium, we decided to hit the bathroom. There was a sizable line, given all the booze consumed. While in line, a staggering intoxicated older dude (at least mid 60’s) attempted to get in line, but drunkenly had his momentum get the best of him as he started to go down. I caught him as he slammed into me hard, and I kept him on his feet, barely.

As we entered the bathroom, he couldn’t wait any longer, and pissed his pants. He quickly stumbled over to use a waste paper barrel, but by then the pee was soaking his front side and rushing out of his pant legs. He finally finished, right there in front of everyone in the waste paper basket.

You see the occasional wasted college kid at a Gopher game but when is the last time you saw something like that from someone over 30 at Huntington Bank Stadium (for a Gopher game)?
Your post reminded me of when I was at the Outback Bowl, I had an Auburn fan tell me that most Auburn fans went to Auburn most Alabama fans went to Walmart.

The fixation with the weather is a bit embarrassing and similar to worrying about the traffic and leaving early.
C'mon Plato...wake up on the wrong side of the crypt this morning?

1694267846020.png

For us mere mortals threading about the weather is good for probably 30-40 pages of posts before the season is over.

Plus, it keeps GHer's up on the latest climate science...great public service.

Last edited:

Yeah, one weather thread being commented on by the same six or seven posters about a game TONIGHT in a sea of hundreds of other threads is a real fixation. We should rename this site WeatherGopher or something with an obsession like this.

The real fixation is a Badger fan coming onto a Gopher board and posting on a weather thread. That is next level fixation.

Top Bottom