We want Wisky over Iowa right?

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Would give both teams two losses and put us at top of West. Then we hope Nebraska beats them both just in case.

There is already a thread with a lot of discussion on this particular topic.

Would give both teams two losses and put us at top of West. Then we hope Nebraska beats them both just in case.
Yes, I posted a graphic in the "If we in the next three" thread. If Iowa wins this weekend, the game in Kinnick between us is a defacto B1G West title game (assuming we hold serve against NW, IL and IU)

No. Because then a loss to either team would give them the tiebreaker over us. If Iowa beats Wisconsin.....a win over them would make the Badger game irrelevant assuming we don't lose any other games.

At this point, not knowing how the rest of the games (including ours) play out, either outcome might end up being the one that is better for us. Thus, the answer largely depends on which team you think we are more likely to beat, and how you think they will play the rest of the year. I have a hunch Wisconsin is going to finish stronger than Iowa, and I have seen the "if we beat Wisconsin, we go to Indy" script break our hearts twice before in the last game. So, I'm hoping Iowa wins and that we have the west clinched before we even play them. Then we can stomp them into the ground and claim the Axe for good measure and to keep our outside CFP hopes alive.

Edit: also, as Howeda just pointed out, this way you don't have to cheer for Wisconsin

No. Because then a loss to either team would give them the tiebreaker over us. If Iowa beats Wisconsin.....a win over them would make the Badger game irrelevant assuming we don't lose any other games.
That’s my thought as well.

Plus F wisconsin

We want to get into division clinching games as soon as possible. This gives us more permutations to win.

At this point, not knowing how the rest of the games (including ours) play out, either outcome might end up being the one that is better for us. Thus, the answer largely depends on which team you think we are more likely to beat, and how you think they will play the rest of the year. I have a hunch Wisconsin is going to finish stronger than Iowa, and I have seen the "if we beat Wisconsin, we go to Indy" script break our hearts twice before in the last game. So, I'm hoping Iowa wins and that we have the west clinched before we even play them. Then we can stomp them into the ground and claim the Axe for good measure and to keep our outside CFP hopes alive.

Edit: also, as Howeda just pointed out, this way you don't have to cheer for Wisconsin
If it depends on which team we are more likely to beat it doesn’t matter, because we are beating them both

So F wisconsin

Three games during football season that I don't want either team to win, Iowa Vs. Wisconsin and the two Packers Vs. Bears matchups.

I think with that said, I lean toward wanting an Iowa win. My fear is Wisconsin getting a big win like Penn State did against Ohio State in 2016 and going on a hot streak. Have Iowa win, put Wisconsin behind more, and then set all sights on freeing Floyd.

Three games during football season that I don't want either team to win, Iowa Vs. Wisconsin and the two Packers Vs. Bears matchups.

I think with that said, I lean toward wanting an Iowa win. My fear is Wisconsin getting a big win like Penn State did against Ohio State in 2016 and going on a hot streak. Have Iowa win, put Wisconsin behind more, and then set all sights on freeing Floyd.
Bears don't bother me much! It's a enemy of my enemy thing!

Wisconsin wins, it's still a 3 team race for the West.
Iowa wins, it's only a 2 team race as the Badgers would essentially be out.

Yes, we would have to beat Iowa, but I think that's possible and if we're honest, we'd want to beat Iowa outright to win the West, right?

That’s my thought as well.

Plus F wisconsin

We want to get into division clinching games as soon as possible. This gives us more permutations to win.
Hating Whisky aside, don't understand how anyone could hate Iowa and Ferentz less.

I simply cannot root for Wisconsin. The Hawkeyes are right up there, too, but I have a little flexibility there when they play the Badgers. For me, I'd like to see Iowa club them and take any steam they've built up lately away. At this point Wisconsin scares me more than Iowa, though winning at Kinnick is a tall task to say the least. Pretty much have to beat one of them and I'd place my bet on MN beating Iowa.

Hating Whisky aside, don't understand how anyone could hate Iowa and Ferentz less.
Because we've beat them once since I started following the team. Whereas my first year as a student we upset Iowa.

Whenever Iowa and Wisconsin play each other I never think of it in terms of, who do I want to win? Instead I go with who do I want to lose?

A victory for the other team is just an unfortunate consequence.

This is simple. We want Wisconsin to beat Iowa, putting us alone on top the B1G West, and opening up more paths to Indianapolis.
This is absolutely the correct answer.

If the Badgers beat Iowa and the Gophers win the next 3, that guarantees Gophers AT ABSOLUTE WORST will be playing for the West championship on their home field on the last day of the regular season.

On Wisconsin! (throw up in my mouth)

wisconsin fans will experience more agony than iowa fans with a loss this Saturday.

Therefore, I want wisconsin to lose.

You want Iowa over Wisconsin to turn it into a 2 team race (making a slip up against anyone other than IA not cost us the West)… I’m not putting any faith in NE to beat either WI or IA.

I get the scenarios that USAF and SelectionSunday pointed out and logically, they're 100% right, but Bleed's argument has convinced my heart and soul.

Always want WI to lose. Always.
There are also scenarios that involve Iowa beating Wisconsin and then us having the West locked up before we even take the field against Wisconsin. It's possible that one outcome looks like the "right answer" now, we get that outcome, and then at the end of the season its a "be careful what you wish for situation" because that outcome ends up being what keeps us out of Indy.

Top Bottom