We out-Iowa-ed Iowa

RememberMurray

Reaction score
The Gophers stayed true to themselves; they played smart, played conservatively, played their game, played to their strengths. As the game wore on, the pressure mounted on Iowa, not on the Gophers.

Iowa was forced to abandon their identity because Minnesota's defense utterly stonewalled the Hawkeyes' run game: Iowa had 11 yards rushing, TOTAL, and 0.4 yards per carry! Those are astounding numbers.

The other key factor: the Gophers offense committed zero turnovers, and the Gopher defense had three takeaways. That is how Iowa usually wins games.

Fleck stayed true to himself, shut out all the "Throw the ball!" noise coming from fans and media, and beat Iowa.

This one tasted really, really good.

Gophers hold the Pig and the Axe.

The referees on the field didn't catch or see the invalid fair catch signal correctly live. So we actually caught a break that DeJean scored or that scoring play would not have been reviewed. Funny thing is we Gophers let up because of his waiving and lifting his left hand up. We caught a break for once that this play was reviewed. I'm glad coach Fleck and the players won in Iowa. They get the guerilla streak, and cheating Iowa curse off the backs.

Last edited:

It's always good to win a game.

But that does not erase some of the ongoing issues with the offense. before the season is over, the Gophers will have a game where they will need to throw the ball effectively to win.

maybe I'm looking for the cloud behind the silver lining, but a win like this plays into some of Fleck's worst tendencies. He got away with it today because Iowa had a QB who was even worse than MN's QB. Fleck can't count on getting away with the same approach every week.

don't get me wrong - I'll take the win. I'm just looking at the big picture as far as what's ahead for the rest of the season.

But that does not erase some of the ongoing issues with the offense. before the season is over, the Gophers will have a game where they will need to throw the ball effectively to win.

maybe I'm looking for the cloud behind the silver lining, but a win like this plays into some of Fleck's worst tendencies. He got away with it today because Iowa had a QB who was even worse than MN's QB. Fleck can't count on getting away with the same approach every week.

don't get me wrong - I'll take the win. I'm just looking at the big picture as far as what's ahead for the rest of the season.
Yep you never have to apologize for a win. But the gophers need to find a quarterback moving forward. Our current one is not the answer and not even close.

It seems perfect to end the streak by ripping their hearts out the way it happened.

Now that we have them out of our heads, we can start beating them like we do Bucky!

Yes. Four field goals for the win... and there is already a thread on Gopher Hole calling for the firing of the special teams coach.

You can't make it up.
I saw Kesich out there, kicking field goals, not the ST coach.
Just watch the replay of punt return. 3 guys overrun the play, no one on containment on the sideline. That's coaching.
And I think enough has been said about the Quentin Redding follies.

The Gophers stayed true to themselves; they played smart, played conservatively, played their game, played to their strengths. As the game wore on, the pressure mounted on Iowa, not on the Gophers.

Iowa was forced to abandon their identity because Minnesota's defense utterly stonewalled the Hawkeyes' run game: Iowa had 11 yards rushing, TOTAL, and 0.4 yards per carry! Those are astounding numbers.

The other key factor: the Gophers offense committed zero turnovers, and the Gopher defense had three takeaways. That is how Iowa usually wins games.

Fleck stayed true to himself, shut out all the "Throw the ball!" noise coming from fans and media, and beat Iowa.

You deserve 40 years of mediocrity with golden Gophers football.

You deserve 40 years of mediocrity with golden Gophers football.

What do you "deserve", pray tell?

I'm happy they finally beat Iowa, so that I won't have to listen to people grousing about "never" beating Iowa. But, obviously, we'll all still get to hear plenty of grousing about other stuff.

I saw Kesich out there, kicking field goals, not the ST coach.
Just watch the replay of punt return. 3 guys overrun the play, no one on containment on the sideline. That's coaching.
And I think enough has been said about the Quentin Redding follies.

Sigh.

Okay, okay... this one's 'terrible', that one's 'mediocre'. Fire this one, cut that one, bench the other one.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Blah, blah, blah...

Going to stay intoxicated on the win tonight but I think the real test is next Saturday when a wounded Sparty comes to town.

Today's success has letdown potential off the charts. Hopefully our football team understands this and come ready to play their hearts out again. Billds will be there in spades.

The referees on the field didn't catch or see the invalid fair catch signal correctly live. So we actually caught a break that DeJean scored or that scoring play would not have been reviewed. Funny thing is we Gophers let up because of his waiving and lifting his left hand up. We caught a break for once that this play was reviewed. I'm glad coach Fleck and the players won in Iowa. They get the guerilla streak, and cheating Iowa curse off the backs.
Well if they caught it live it would have been ruled dead.

Yup. I've been hoping for this for a while. If you don't got the offense to outmatch Iowa's defense, you're gonna have to Iowa Iowa.

Going to stay intoxicated on the win tonight but I think the real test is next Saturday when a wounded Sparty comes to town.

Today's success has letdown potential off the charts. Hopefully our football team understands this and come ready to play their hearts out again. Billds will be there in spades.
Wounded lol. They will have given up. After their beating tonight they will have rolled over and played dead.

Not sure about MSU not showing up next week. Fleck got the Gophers ready to play with fervor after that shellacking by Michigan, though he did have 2 weeks to build them back up.

There is an alternate timeline where a Gopher rocks DeJean. We get flagged for it. They kick the game winning FG and the same posters complaining about the win are ripping the player for actually hitting him when he clearly waived his hand.

It's a tactic Iowa was using to create confusion. It kind of worked but they didn't get away with it.

So you're content with Rob Wenger? 😬
Can you tell who was our special teams coach who was on the 93 team that beat the Badgers? I don't. I just remember we beat WI.

On days when we beat Iowa or WI, we celebrate.

Yep you never have to apologize for a win. But the gophers need to find a quarterback moving forward. Our current one is not the answer and not even close.

I don't see what they're going to do about it this season. I can't see Fleck putting in a true freshman QB at this point and I have even less faith in Kramer than Athan.

It's a tactic Iowa was using to create confusion. It kind of worked but they didn't get away with it.

I did wonder if this player does this regularly and it has been pointed out to the refs previously. I believe the last one was the only one he returned so the issue didn't come up before in the game.

I don't see what they're going to do about it this season. I can't see Fleck putting in a true freshman QB at this point and I have even less faith in Kramer than Athan.
I agree they’re stuck for this season. But I think pj gonna need to hit the portal.

Do you enjoy victories over Iowa more than Wisconsin? Great return by DeJean, huh? Kid is a stud. I hope the Bears draft him.

Top Bottom