We need a statement tradition song!

Otis

Reaction score
Watched a few college football tradition videos and I am shocked with all the creative minds at the U we don’t have a traditional charge up the crowd song!

No jump around
No Sandman
No Rocky Top

Why couldn’t we have something or do we just need to be good for people to notice the rouser or Hail Minnesota?

Personally I’d like to see “You spin me Right Round” at the end of the third quarter with Goldy spinning his head!

Just an idea!

They use a Marilyn Manson song as entrance music and the student section sways side to side.

I still like this one. Can't believe it's already 8 years old.

Yeah...it sounds like an apple commercial, I get that, but it almost sounds like it was written for a situation like this. Plus, Andrew Simple (lead singer, guitarist, writer) is an awesome dude.

Bonus: at the 1:20 mark the lyrics are "We'll move so fast your head will spin. You know we just can't help but win". So there is a built in Goldy Gopher moment.

Enter Sandman
If we want to be big players in the new college football landscape, we are really going to have to start asserting dominance. We will run onto the field to enter sandman and act like we have no idea what they are talking about when we immediately get called out. Then we will continue doing it as if VT never had the tradition in the first place.

If we want to be big players in the new college football landscape, we are really going to have to start asserting dominance. We will run onto the field to enter sandman and act like we have no idea what they are talking about when we immediately get called out. Then we will continue doing it as if VT never had the tradition in the first place.
Iowa is lame! That song is so played out, its not even close to intimidating. I like LL Cool J's "Mama said knock you out"

Do the gopher is so tacky. I am the only one who hates it? Levels by Avicii is a great song but it doesn't cut it. I would argue the swaying before the game is more impactful, I wish the whole stadium did it and not just the students.
Agreed, I think the swaying is already good and the focus should be on encouraging everyone to do it like you said. Same with Battle Hymn.

Do the gopher is so tacky. I am the only one who hates it? Levels by Avicii is a great song but it doesn't cut it. I would argue the swaying before the game is more impactful, I wish the whole stadium did it and not just the students.
You're wrong and you should feel bad about that.

Agreed, I think the swaying is already good and the focus should be on encouraging everyone to do it like you said. Same with Battle Hymn.
Battle Hymn is awesome. The whole marching band's pregame routine, in general, is fantastic I think. However, it does still piss me off that we play the opponent's fight song almost every game. I'll never understand that. Sportsmanship is great and all but I think that's too much.

You're wrong and you should feel bad about that.
The students don't even like it I feel like. Years ago, they used to play the whole song practically, but now they just play 30 seconds. We can do so much better.

Statement song for Minnesota fans of all sports. Love Lies Bleeding in my Hands!

I would go with For Whom The Bell Tolls or Wherever I May Roam. No need to be a copycat.

I would like to start a tradition of winning most home games. We should for sure mock Iowa for Fair catch whinning in perpetuity as it will bug the piss out of Hogeyes. Wish the U of Marching band would have a tradition like Alabama has where they play Basket Case and all the groups do the same cheer and fans participate. Not copy it or do the same though. Funkytown is cool when a large MB plays it. Tennessee has Rocky Top. I know they have tried some stuff before with Ski U MAH flags and some lame tune in Metrodome that was just like Michigan State tune and cheer. I dont pretend to know the song or propose it. Stanford has All Right now and that is iconic and a brand for their school. I like Purple Lambo and Kernkraft Ski U Mah thing. Not a fan of Do the Gopher ever since they change music and do weird cut up's. Better if students decide than us old foggys. Would be nice if they had a taunt for opposition like they do at Hockey games. Your a black hole, you suck, sieve is awesome. I like F the Badgers but would prefer the abbreviated version because of younger kids at games. That's just a preference not likely shared by many. Of course who doesn't like random Who hates Iowa at non-conference and road games. We have come a long ways from basement Brew days in the Dome.

Last edited:

Too bad Prince checked out. He could have written another absolute flamethrower like that Vikings fight song he wrote.

God Bless the USA
Song by Lee Greenwood

Lyrics

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American