Washington to possibly join the Big Ten

I don’t think I’ve seen Colorado mentioned as an option. I agree with most that Washington is target number 1. Stanford and Cal are appealing to secure the northern Cal TV market. I would think Colorado would be better than Utah and Oregon. Denver is the number 16 TV market, Colorado is an AAU school and they are obviously geographically closer. I realize their football program is in rough shape, but things change over time.
Stanford… maybe not for football.

Or at least don’t expect much. Word has it they don’t take many transfers and in the age of the portal their academic standards has meant guys leave but they can’t reload…

They did exactly what they were supposed to do, increase TV $$$
If your referring to the hockey it’s not worth the money for the fans around here. Final five was probably the coolest sports event around. I loved college hockey and now I hardly watch it.

The BTT at MSG was a complete disaster.

These folks have a complete opposite view:

I didn't like it, mostly because it was a week early before the other Conference Tournaments but it was not a complete disaster. Pretty good crowds, entertaining games, IMO.

I could easily see them going back to MSG or Brooklyn in the next 10 years.

If your referring to the hockey it’s not worth the money for the fans around here. Final five was probably the coolest sports event around. I loved college hockey and now I hardly watch it.
Don't want to get too much into the hockey debate because this is the football board, but really the only reason the hockey stuff changed is because Penn State added hockey. Once you had 6 Big Ten Schools you had to join the Big Ten hockey conference. It's how it works for all sports in the Big Ten. It wasn't really just a money thing (except maybe for Penn State).

I will also say I just think college hockey isn't what it used to be nation-wide. The addition of more D1 teams has diluted the talent pool.

not a national brand????
Do you know what a national brand means?

Oregon is most known as having crazy uniforms. Their TV ratings are terrible, middle of the PAC 12. The Portland market would downgrade and dilute the B1G TV footprint.

Other than that, bring them on!

This goes for many people. While I enjoy watching the Gophers in hockey, it clearly isn't the same. The pundits can think we're going to come around. They haven't, and they won't. The right thing to do is get the old WCHA back together again and kick out Norte Dame. If they won't participate in the Big 10 in all sports, so be it. I know, it's a football board. However, we have to look at the whole picture. Gopher hockey isn't a good fit for the Big Ten. Never has been, never will.

This goes for many people. While I enjoy watching the Gophers in hockey, it clearly isn't the same. The pundits can think we're going to come around. They haven't, and they won't. The right thing to do is get the old WCHA back together again and kick out Norte Dame. If they won't participate in the Big 10 in all sports, so be it. I know, it's a football board. However, we have to look at the whole picture. Gopher hockey isn't a good fit for the Big Ten. Never has been, never will.
Preach on brother. Great take. It’s football and I’ll drop it but it’s been a sore spot for many. Go gophers

Notre Dame was is the WCHA I grew up with in 70s. I like having them in the same conference.

Rather than boot them out, I say invite North Dakota, Duluth & Arizona St.

These folks have a complete opposite view:

I didn't like it, mostly because it was a week early before the other Conference Tournaments but it was not a complete disaster. Pretty good crowds, entertaining games, IMO.

I could easily see them going back to MSG or Brooklyn in the next 10 years.
Gophers lost to Rutgers on Weakling Wednesday. It was a disaster. 🤕

Notre Dame was is the WCHA I grew up with in 70s. I like having them in the same conference.

UND and Duluth should have always been in Big Ten hockey.

Wouldn't be any different than having Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse member.

Hopefully we will be getting a clear signal (or maybe even explicit decision) from the UC Regents tomorrow, when they will be spending I believe the whole day of the agenda discussing UCLA's move.

Interesting report was just sent to them for the meeting:

Only If Washington gets a hockey program.
With the Kraken, that certainly could be a possibility. Seattle has really embraced hockey. I still don't get why Northwestern and Illinois don't add Mens/Womens NCAA B1G hockey. I know Illinois seriously looked at adding it.

UND and Duluth should have always been in Big Ten hockey.

Wouldn't be any different than having Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse member.
Not quite -- johns hopkins allows the the big ten to have a lacrosse conference as there are only 5 other teams that sponsor lacrosse. What benefit does adding north dakota and duluth provide the big ten? They added notre dame because of the national brand.

Oregon already said they'd have a Div 1 hockey arena built within 2 years of joining the Big Ten. So wouldn't surprise me if Washington did too.

Oregon already said they'd have a Div 1 hockey arena built within 2 years of joining the Big Ten. So wouldn't surprise me if Washington did too.
While I appreciate teams like Lindenwood, Augustana and LIU Brooklyn making the jump to D1; getting teams like UW, USC, Oregon and a Illinois would really help college hockey.

Washington football has been down as of late but historically it is very solid. And Washington has a very large following and adds yet another large media market (the conference loves big media markets). Unlike much of the PAC12, their stadium is large and they fill it. I have predicted this move to be an obvious one since the day USC and UCLA joined.

It’s also one of the best venues to watch a game.

You'd be surprised. I live in Seattle as well and I see a lot of MN plates driving around here, plus the occasional Gopher license plate liner or window decal.

The midwest to Seattle pipeline is strong.
I blame Bezos

The four West teams/schools that should be considered by Big Ten are
1-Washington, 2-Stanford (which gives us Notre Dame), 3-Cal (because we need a bunny out West and pacifies regents), 4-Utah. No on oregon.
Cal is a state school btw, so same potential jeopardy attached to UCLA is still there

Not quite -- johns hopkins allows the the big ten to have a lacrosse conference as there are only 5 other teams that sponsor lacrosse. What benefit does adding north dakota and duluth provide the big ten? They added notre dame because of the national brand.
North Dakota and Duluth were at one point in the same hockey conference as 5 of the current Big 10 hockey teams (all but Oh St & Penn St). It would restore several regional rivalries and fill up Mariucci Arena more often.

North Dakota and Duluth were at one point in the same hockey conference as 5 of the current Big 10 hockey teams (all but Oh St & Penn St). It would restore several regional rivalries and fill up Mariucci Arena more often.
While true citing that MSU, Michigan and Notre Dame were in the wcha as recently as 1980 and spent 10 years with the Sioux and Bulldogs doesn't seem relevant.

Adding those two teams would create two good series for the gophers, but that doesn't answer the question about why the Big Ten would want to share revenue with or travel to those locations?

It would be fun to have a B1G hockey with a bunch of associate members.

While true citing that MSU, Michigan and Notre Dame were in the wcha as recently as 1980 and spent 10 years with the Sioux and Bulldogs doesn't seem relevant.

Adding those two teams would create two good series for the gophers, but that doesn't answer the question about why the Big Ten would want to share revenue with or travel to those locations?
Is there really much hockey TV revenue to share? I heard Lou Nanne say the Gophers lost several hundreds of thousands of dollars with the reduced amount of games being sold to FSN/BSN.

I think adding North Dakota & Duluth would make it definitely the best conference in the country, potentially increasing interest/ticket revenue for all schools. If they also added Arizona St, that would be 10 schools. For scheduling the 5 East schools could play each other a little more often, same with the West.

It would potentially restore some of the regionality from when it was more popular.

Hopefully we will be getting a clear signal (or maybe even explicit decision) from the UC Regents tomorrow, when they will be spending I believe the whole day of the agenda discussing UCLA's move.

Interesting report was just sent to them for the meeting:

Stewart Mandel: "UCLA estimates it will spend an extra $9-$10M in the Big Ten, including $4.6-$5.8M on travel.
That document is an interesting read. Skim it like Mandel apparently did and you'd think the 9-10 million extra is all unavoidable costs. Well, no. It's really how the athletic department plans to invest the extra Big Ten bucks in the athlete experience - essentially the fringe benefits of being an athlete. Faster and more comfortable travel. Better and more available meals and snacks. Stipends for electronics. Expansion of their early-enrollee program.

I hope Coyle has similar plans for the coming years.

Rabid fanbases, great arenas.

I really doubt a ton of casual folks are tuning into a regular season college hockey match on TV, if you can even find such a thing outside of regional networks.

It's the fanbases that are tuning in.

Top Bottom