Washington to possibly join the Big Ten

Annie Agar has a new video out for a "meeting" of B1G schools.

pretty typical for her - makes fun of a lot of schools. MN actually came off fairly unscathed. She really ripped Nebraska and Michigan State.

and then at the end, she comes on in a Washington jersey and pretends to call the Big 12.

worth watching if you like her stuff.
link?

I mean there is still the possibility that the U of California regents "cancel" UCLA. They have the legal power to do so. No one knows where that saga will land yet.

Paul Finebaum on the Dan Patrick Show indicated yesterday that he does not think the Big 10 is done expanding. Targets are Oregon and Washington.

As for the Pac 12, looks like they will be adding San Diego St.

Paul Finebaum on the Dan Patrick Show indicated yesterday that he does not think the Big 10 is done expanding. Targets are Oregon and Washington.

As for the Pac 12, looks like they will be adding San Diego St.

He indicated yesterday… a rumor from months ago ;)

The four West teams/schools that should be considered by Big Ten are
1-Washington, 2-Stanford (which gives us Notre Dame), 3-Cal (because we need a bunny out West and pacifies regents), 4-Utah. No on oregon.

I am personally hoping for Stanford, Notre Dame, and then a combination of Washington, California, Oregon, North Carolina, Miami

The next teams that will join the Big Ten ---->🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

Stanford does not deliver Notre Dame.
NBC delivers Notre Dame.
I agree with bolded.

Rather: if ND were to seriously start considering the Big Ten, they'd ask Stanford to join them, and then require the Big Ten to take them. But it's not even a given that Stanford would want to join, I think.

I could see anything along the spectrum of: they (Stan) say yes to joining the Big Ten, to becoming the Harvard/Yale of the West and having a no scholarship football team in FCS.

Last edited:

ND has been very clear on the factors that will "force" it to join a conference:
1 - can't find a TV partner to broadcast its home games (never going to be true)
2 - don't have a reasonable path to the major college football postseason (the expected 12 team 6+6 format doesn't seem to make this unreasonable)
3 - there becomes such a disparity in money between staying indy vs joining a major conference, that it is no longer reasonable to continue being indy.

It's going to be prong 3 or nothing.

ND was the only school named in Big Ten's new TV contract as knowing exactly what the increase would be. ND (and Big Ten) have that in hand. Now we're waiting for the new ND contract.

Another twist on this is if the UC board of regents will end up cancelling UCLA's move to the Big Ten.

This is being discussed on Nov 17 at their next board meeting: https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/meetings/agendas/nov2022.html

No idea what if anything will come out of that, let alone any actions.
If UCLA is blocked from joining the B1G, that may mean the Regents would be okay with both UCLA and Cal joining together.

Questions are:
1. Would the B1G be okay with adding Cal to assure UCLA?
2. Or would the B1G say no thanks.
3. If so, would they grab Washington, Oregon and Stanford ASAP?

If UCLA is blocked from joining the B1G, that may mean the Regents would be okay with both UCLA and Cal joining together.

Questions are:
1. Would the B1G be okay with adding Cal to assure UCLA?
2. Or would the B1G say no thanks.
3. If so, would they grab Washington, Oregon and Stanford ASAP?
I could see 2 and 3. but I doubt the regents block UCLA.

I pay attention to what the Head Honcho of the BIG says.
And he said the BIG is done expanding for the foreseeable future.
The terms of the contracts giving massive $$$$ TV dollars to BIG schools are based on the current schools in or about to be in the BIG.
Nothing will happen until those contracts are about to expire.

I pay attention to what the Head Honcho of the BIG says.
And he said the BIG is done expanding for the foreseeable future.
The terms of the contracts giving massive $$$$ TV dollars to BIG schools are based on the current schools in or about to be in the BIG.
Nothing will happen until those contracts are about to expire.
I think the wild card would be Amazon coming in with a big offer to get some games on Prime, that could raise the value enough, but it looks like they are seeing what they can get with the Pac12

I think the wild card would be Amazon coming in with a big offer to get some games on Prime, that could raise the value enough, but it looks like they are seeing what they can get with the Pac12
I always wonder what the appeal of private streamers is.

Yeah money, that's huge.

But do you want your games less visible to many people????

Granted depends on your level of visibility from the start.

More likely San Diego State joins the Pac-12

It's been rumored for months (perhaps years). Now it may finally be happening.

San Diego State is expected to leave the Mountain West Conference and join the Pac-12 Conference. On his national radio show on Monday, Dan Patrick said he's been told an announcement could come as early as this week. SDSU is not ready to make anything official. Yet.

"We don't have any comment regarding any conference realignment speculation," said the Aztecs in a statement to NBC 7.

However, this move seems like it's reached the point of inevitability.

SDSU and the Pac-12 have been talking about a move for a while and, according to sources, in recent weeks those talks have intensified. The Pac-12 knows it's losing USC to the Big 10. It's very likely to also be losing UCLA. The University of California Board of Regents has threatened to block the Bruins from leaving and has a meeting in mid-November where it could vote to do just that but their protestations are seen as mere saber-rattling.

So, their first choice to fill at least one hole is the Aztecs, which makes sense on multiple levels. San Diego State already has programs playing in the conference. Their men's soccer team has been a member for a few years and their women's lacrosse team started in 2022. If (when) both the Trojans and Bruins join the Big 10 then adding the Aztecs keeps the Pac-12's presence in Southern California.

The implications for SDSU are immense. First of all, they go from a mid-major conference to a Power-5 conference. That means they'll have a legitimate chance every year of going to the College Football Playoff and almost guarantee the highly successful men's basketball program that already makes annual trips to the NCAA Tournament a higher seed when it does make the field of 68.

I don’t think I’ve seen Colorado mentioned as an option. I agree with most that Washington is target number 1. Stanford and Cal are appealing to secure the northern Cal TV market. I would think Colorado would be better than Utah and Oregon. Denver is the number 16 TV market, Colorado is an AAU school and they are obviously geographically closer. I realize their football program is in rough shape, but things change over time.

It won’t be long before they ruin college football just like they did with hockey. They are going to water down the big 10 rivalries bringing in teams from out west, the Rutgers and Maryland did us no good in my opinion.

I mean there is still the possibility that the U of California regents "cancel" UCLA. They have the legal power to do so. No one knows where that saga will land yet.
This has to be a < .01% chance. The political will is not there for any of the regents to take this fight on.

I could see it either way.

The "common sense" viewpoint would be yours: no chance in heck they'll do this and incur the fallout. It was nothing but saber-rattling and it failed to achieve anything.

But I can also see the following viewpoint being true with these folks: the Regents are supposed to hold all the power, are supposed to have their rings kissed and their blessings sought .... and the campus didn't even bother to tell them that they were leaving for the Big Ten and potentially destroying the PAC in the process.

The Regents then let it be known that they have the legal authority to cancel the move. One could easily surmise that this was done to try to win some kind of concession out of the Big Ten, eg to also take Cal. The Big Ten's response was a simple "yeah, no, not interested, we'll go ahead and finish our TV deal under the assumption that USC and UCLA, and only those two, are coming over."

So, the Regents have basically been solidly rebuffed at every front. And when the person who actually holds the saber feels powerless ... sometimes that compels them to actually take it out of its sheath and chop a limb off, to remind people who holds the saber.

I made all that up. But we'll see.

I don’t think I’ve seen Colorado mentioned as an option. I agree with most that Washington is target number 1. Stanford and Cal are appealing to secure the northern Cal TV market. I would think Colorado would be better than Utah and Oregon. Denver is the number 16 TV market, Colorado is an AAU school and they are obviously geographically closer. I realize their football program is in rough shape, but things change over time.
The counter-argument to this is that adding Nebraska already delivered the Denver and KC markets to the Big Ten Network, with the amount of fervent alumni they living in those two locations.

It won’t be long before they ruin college football just like they did with hockey. They are going to water down the big 10 rivalries bringing in teams from out west, the Rutgers and Maryland did us no good in my opinion.

They did exactly what they were supposed to do, increase TV $$$

I will say this (again): if somehow UCLA does not come over, then I hope the Big Ten stays at 15 with just adding USC, for a while.

It would very easy and break down very nicely for football scheduling with 9 conference games. You break up into pods of 5, play everyone in your pod every year, and with the remaining 5 games you cycle through the remaining 10 years every 2 years.

Pods would just be for scheduling purposes. "Winning" your pod doesn't mean anything.

Pod 1: USC + Quadrangle
Pod 2: Illinois's + Indiana's + Penn St (to appease them for hating having to play OSU and Mich every year)
Pod 3: Michigan's + OSU + Maryland + Rutgers

Top Bottom