Was the Cal game worth it?

Worth it. I would watch a loss to CAL or USC anyday over a win against Wofford. Honestly, who only wants to go to games you're supposed to win? Where's the drama and energy in that?

Very entertaining

I'm sure all of us find winning more entertaining but the Cal game was probably the most fun I have had seeing any of my teams lose. I just loved how they battled back and to see it at the new stadium was phenominal!! I thought Decker's first TD set the tone for most of the rest of the game and was truly a "big time" play. We need more of those kinds of highlight clips. I was very proud of the team and thought the program took a big (not giant) step forward with that performance. Now, they need to follow it up by beating a team that I think they are definitely better than, Northwestern.

Likewise, it was satisfying to see that on the same weekend the Gophers were playing 8th ranked Cal, Wisky was scheduling a basketball program for a football game in Wofford. Wofford??? Seriously?? What a joke!!

That is a question that has no correct answer. We played Cal in 06 and got drilled. Did that help us loose the first 5 BT games that season? Or did it help us win the last three games. Probably neither.

With this NC schedule, we had little or no opportunity to get more young and untest players on the field. The OL has been an iron five except Orton who was in a bit against Cal. Guys like Carter, Gray, Carpenter, the two deep LB's, etc. had very little chance to see PT. Maybe that would have been different if we played North Texas State or even Wofford rather than Cal.

I am not so sure the team benefits that much from playing a Cal versus a cream puff. All we know is we play out the schedule that is lined up and we can speculate for ever about the quality of the opponents and how much or little it prepared us for the BT season.

Not worth it.

There is no substitute for winning, imho. I would rather beat a solid MAC/SunBelt Conference team than lose to anyone, including a Top 10 opponent in triple OT...but that's just me.

We'll know the Gopher football program has "arrived" when a hard-fought, competitive, exciting 35-21 loss to a Top 10 opponent hurts, rather than becomes the basis for a feel-good story, and another "moral" victory.

So far the schedule has worked out well. With each game the competition improved and with each game we played a little better. I know the way schedules have to be made in advance, but this worked out well. If they keep improving and playing the way the way they can, the SDSU game should be a good breather, if the Gophs don't get too cocky that one should be wrapped up in the 3rd, and alot of kids should get to play.

Worth it, yes. The U developed a reputation for weak non-conference schedules, and that's not a good thing. Having a non-conference schedule where have 4 near-certain victories, and hope to get enough B10 wins to squeeze into a lower-tier bowl just doesn't but it, plus, with a weak non-conference schedule, losing one of those games makes your team look really bad. A quality opponent in the non-conference schedule gets your team more prepared to play against Big Ten opponents.

We've seen too many non-conference games where the stadium is half empty despite some very generous promotions to entice people to buy tickets.

Top Bottom