Was the Cal game worth it?

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
How advisable was scheduling Cal? I originally thought it a poor decision and I'm not yet convinced otherwise. I had fun watching the game yesterday, but only time will tell.

The schedule is not only a test of our raw talent and coaching. It is also a test of our endurance and depth. We are thin and short of talented players, a fact that continually rears its head on the back end of our season. And while it may feel nice to give Cal a bloody nose, we've also gotten three bloody noses before the conference season. It makes little sense to lose an Eric Decker in week three in a valiant non-conference loss.

Let me put it like this: We can get our card punched only so many times before it starts to show. Maybe it doesn't show up where most fans and the media notice--but the effect is real.

When Terry Mulholland used to pitch for the Twins, he effectively refused to warm up. When Gardy first noticed this he said "Don't you know you're going in the game!?! Get ready!" Mulholland replied: "Coach, I only got so many bullets."

My answer would be that there are a lot of pitchers better than Terry Mulholland that DO warm up. I would have preferred to play Cal in week 2 and have an "easier" game to lead into the Big Ten, but the schedule is what it is.

I am glad we did not back out on Cal (not that it was ever hinted) in favor of a cupcake. These are the games that get people excited and when we do win one it means a whole lot more than beating a directional Louisiana.

Bottom line for me: I have seen too many 5-0 gopher teams finish 7-5 or 6-6. These games prepare us for the Big Ten and will make us better in November.

The only opinions that really matter are those of the current players and future recruits. By all accounts they love the idea of playing Top 20 football teams on national TV. And why wouldn't they?

Definitely worth it. If we want to move up in the 'pecking order' of top schools, this is the way to do it. You play top teams and, hopefully, you eventually start to beat top teams. And then, voila, you are a top team.

There are always injury risks in football. You can just as easily twist a knee against UL-Monroe. Only time will tell, but I think this gopher team is more ready for the big10 season because of the Cal game.

it was absolutely worth it.

the gophers are not going to be vying for a national title any time soon, so a spotless record is not the goal. the goal right now is to do well in the big ten and making a bowl. playing good teams in the preseason prepares the players for the big ten season better than playing patsies. i would be much happier with a tough 3-1 OOC schedule, than an empty 4-0 OOC.

the coaches know the weaknesses and can hopefully address them.

Games like Cal and USC show up on ABC and ESPN and draw national media attention...and if we win one...we go through the roof.

Big time recruits don't want to play against SDSU or N. Ill, they want to play the best and beat the best.

Having a top 20 team on OOC schedule every year and winning some of the games will elevate the program as much as having a new stadium in the short term and be much more important than TCF longer IMO.

Worth IT?

Please define what you mean by IT. Otherwise, how can we answer your question?

If IT means getting a win to qualify for a bowl, then no.
If IT means getting a tough test prior to the Big Ten season, then yes.
If IT means giving our younger players experience against a top team, then yes.
If IT means the team being stronger late in the Big Ten season, then we will have to evaluate after the season.
If IT means giving the team more confidence for the Big Ten, then again, I think this has to be evaluated after the year ends.

There are always injury risks in football. You can just as easily twist a knee against UL-Monroe. Only time will tell, but I think this gopher team is more ready for the big10 season because of the Cal game.

I was thinking the same thing and I am pretty excited to start B10 Play!

Players get hurt regardless of who we play. Bennett was lost a year ago against Bowling Green and didn't both Weber and Decker get hurt against Northwestern. Yes we lost, but the game was a lot closer than the score suggests.

How advisable was scheduling Cal? I originally thought it a poor decision and I'm not yet convinced otherwise. I had fun watching the game yesterday, but only time will tell.

The schedule is not only a test of our raw talent and coaching. It is also a test of our endurance and depth. We are thin and short of talented players, a fact that continually rears its head on the back end of our season. And while it may feel nice to give Cal a bloody nose, we've also gotten three bloody noses before the conference season. It makes little sense to lose an Eric Decker in week three in a valiant non-conference loss.

Let me put it like this: We can get our card punched only so many times before it starts to show. Maybe it doesn't show up where most fans and the media notice--but the effect is real.

When Terry Mulholland used to pitch for the Twins, he effectively refused to warm up. When Gardy first noticed this he said "Don't you know you're going in the game!?! Get ready!" Mulholland replied: "Coach, I only got so many bullets."

Darn right it was worth it. Unless you want to go through your life scared! Scared to lose, scared to have injuries, scared to look bad...

I don't know how many from my small town told me how much they liked watching us play Cal compared to some directional school. These are people that are at the most mediocre fans, but they talked about that game yesterday and how close we were against a top team.

Certainly worth it. I am not a big fan of playing every year for an appearance in a crappy bowl game. If we want a program that is respected nationally, this is the type of team that needs to be scheduled. Brewster is going a GREAT job of filling out the non-conference schedule with good opponents.

yes it was worth it!

Going to meaningsless bowl games like last year is not important. The key is build a rpgram we can be proud of again.

Go Gophers!

Absolutely, no doubt worth it. Would the fans and recruits have preferred to see NE Louisiana?

If you don't think it was worth it to schedule Cal then you don't know anything about college football. We're trying to get this program to the next level.

Undoubtedly worth it. You can't beat the best teams if you don't play them. Also, yesterday our guys proved to themselves (and, less importantly but equally pleasingly, to us) that they can hang with anyone. I've got to think that will help in the mental toughness department down the road. From a fan perspective, yesterday's game was infinitely more enjoyable to watch, loss and all, than an eight-touchdown blowout of, say, Murray State. -Joe

The Cal game may turn out, upon reflection, to have been a great decision, and I don't deny that.

It's just a question, and one that the rest of the season will decide.

There is no self-evident answer to the question. But it's worth posing, considering how weakly we finish with our short roster.

I think there might be some specific seasons where a loss ("good" or "bad" loss) will come back to hurt us. For the long-term objective of building a program, it's definitely worth it. Players want to know they'll be playing the best. Fans want to know their tickets have value. A program needs to know where it stands.

If we're afraid of these games, we know the program is not where we want it to be. Will it be there in five years? If we hope so, then we'll want these teams on the schedule. If we don't think we can get there in five years, then there's a real problem.

Can't beat top teams if you don't play um, Worth it!! Can't improve and get to that level if you don't challenge yourself with quality opponents.

well worth it. mostly fun game to watch in the future hopefully we will have the depth to FINISH the game against teams this good

and the Gophers have such a long history of finishing strong even with a full roster

I'm in the "worth it" camp but it should be noted that Cal was nowhere near its present level when this game was scheduled years ago ... This year they look to have a legit shot at at least the Rose Bowl but I don't think this was seen as a super-difficult game at the time. Just goes to show that scheduling doesn't always pan out like you think.

I am guessing at this point, that it will be worth it to have played Cal. We have to take care of business against NW and Wisconsin, and nail some of the recruits that have been in here and those who want to play against USC rather than Wollford. THEN it will have been worth it. Let's win these next 2 and then we can talk about whether playing Cal was worth it or not. From a fan's perspective, my answer is a resounding "yes".

I agree with "HatesMonikers." In the long run, this type of scheduling will be worth it. It will help attract better recruits, help gain more exposure, help prepare us for the conference schedule.

And let's not forget that if it weren't for a couple of unfortunate things in the last 7 1/2 minutes (such as the 3rd & 10 sack that was negated by a Cal penalty on offense) that resulted in us taking more chances than were warranted - we were in a tie game and had a good chance of beating #8!

So yes, its worth it.

Having said that, there may be particular seasons where we look back and feel that we'd have been better off playing a lesser team (i.e. if our bowl eligibility were to hinge on this loss - then again, if we can't win 3 BT games do we really belong in a bowl?)

Definately worth it.

Top Bottom