Vikings

Draft Penix AND sign Kirk.

See Green Bay, for an example of how to play this situation.
If we can afford it ... Kirk short term (although not sure he wants that) ... I'd take it.

Little worried about shoring up holes sinking money into both of them but hey I'll take it.

The injury is a risk, but that's the only reason he's not a top 5 pick. If he's the guy you identify you take him. If he hits and is the next Mahomes/Lamar Jackson, it doesn't matter that you could have traded down 10 spots and netted a 2nd round pick. And if he busts, you're probably fired anyway. With the extra attention he's now getting, I'd be shocked if he's not a 1st round pick. So if he's there when you draft, just take him.
Yeah if it doesn't work out because injury ... I'd be bummed... but cookie crumbles ... I'd rather take the shot than not.

If we can afford it ... Kirk short term (although not sure he wants that) ... I'd take it.

Little worried about shoring up holes sinking money into both of them but hey I'll take it.
could see kirk taking a one year prove it deal, but would imagine he's going to look for something in the 3-5 year range to play out the end of his career. Personally would be more than ok just rolling with Penix (he'll be 24 by next year, so not as young as Maye who will be 22, Williams who will be 23 and older than current starters Richardson, Stroud, and Young) if it means we can finally fix the shit show of an offensive line we've had and find some guys on D. Jefferson, Hock, and Addison will cover up a lot of issues for a young QB with how quickly they get open to let him learn on the job.

The Vikings will be paying their 1st round pick the same no matter who it is. They have the money.

I understand the argument of not tying up that much cap space on one position, but "they shouldn't" is not "they can't."

The Vikings will be paying their 1st round pick the same no matter who it is. They have the money.

I understand the argument of not tying up that much cap space on one position, but "they shouldn't" is not "they can't."
I was more worried about the addition of Kirk's cost in that scenario if we're also picking a QB and thus doubling up there. Kirk before he was hurt was not asking for less monies or less time.

Standard operating procedure for them.
Right before the goph football chat it was goph mens basketball chat. Ahmad likes what he sees and thinks Ben has another year to prove himself. And then Ahmad went nuclear on PJ. Ok.

Only if they can get Penix in the 2nd round and/or they are able to make other trades to get more draft picks. If they're not going to use their 1st round pick for a player that could help them right away, then there's no need to sign Kirk IMO. Having both of them won't allow them to fill the holes they have elsewhere.

That what I said in my post as well...just limit KC contract to two years.

I'm no scout, but Penix' mechanics look kind of funky. Of course, as Phil Jackson--he of awkward jump shot as a New York Knick--once said "They don't ask "How?" They ask "How many?"

Then again, I can't think of a left-handed QB with smooth mechanics.

With all the positives, Penix has at least three qb negatives
- hitch in his throwing motion (the biggest issue)
- injury history
- age (will be 24 before the start of next season - which is quite old for a first round NFL QB draft pick)

- injury history
- age (will be 24 before the start of next season - which is quite old for a first round NFL QB draft pick)
Why is his age a negative?

- injury history
the throwing motion is an interesting one. The ball still gets out lightning quick and he is exceptionally accurate. It isn't prototypical but if it doesn't hurt in terms of one of those things, I don't know how much it matters.
Injuries: only one to a "money area" for a QB and that was a separated shoulder several years ago. Has been healthy the last 2. His 2 torn ACLs were when he was much more run heavy. Could see this being more concerning if that were the player he now, but now he's more a can scramble if forced to rather than a run first guy.
Age I think only means he needs to step in sooner. I think he's good enough to do it at the next level right away. One year would be a nice bonus to learn but he seems to grasp the game quite well in terms of reading defenses.

I listened. You really thought it was that bad? Wasn’t 10% as bad as this place after a lot of games

That’s not a random fan forum. Publicly saying guys like Bucky should leave and PJ is failing will not help with regular, average fans.

That’s not a random fan forum. Publicly saying guys like Bucky should leave and PJ is failing will not help with regular, average fans.
I’ll argue this as a PJ supporter…Bucky made a good choice to leave. Went to a better program that supposedly paid him a lot of money and used him well.

He also was talking about bringing the program from good to great and how PJ wouldn’t answer that question. Which was true. I like Fleck, and think he’s done a good job. But in reality as of now his peak here was 4 years ago and since 2019 he’s really had 1-2 good wins. Schedule is tough next season and there is not a big influx of talent coming in. I’m hoping the QB is a good one.

I’m a homer but am amazed at the grace the Vikings get in this city/state.

If the Gophers performed like this, they’re held to a different standard.
This is exactly why. Only college football establishes perfection as the standard. No other American sport routinely has undefeated teams or expects its champions to come anything close to perfect.

This isn’t a Vikings/Gophers thing…you can replace lots of pairings. The Buckeyes can lose 1 game and be a huge disappointment to some people while the Cleveland Browns can lose 6 games and the same exact people are thrilled.

All about expectations

I’ll argue this as a PJ supporter…Bucky made a good choice to leave. Went to a better program that supposedly paid him a lot of money and used him well.

He also was talking about bringing the program from good to great and how PJ wouldn’t answer that question. Which was true. I like Fleck, and think he’s done a good job. But in reality as of now his peak here was 4 years ago and since 2019 he’s really had 1-2 good wins. Schedule is tough next season and there is not a big influx of talent coming in. I’m hoping the QB is a good one.

You can agree with him. That’s fine. But that’s the most negativity not after a loss I’ve ever heard on KFAN. Per the conversation, NIL doesn’t matter. But PJ disagrees.

Power trip and PA rarely ever talk Gophers except when TO or Consemius are in. I would agree they are not usually super negative about the Gophers but they just don't talk about the Gophers much.

PA is always positive about the Vikings and spends every show all year long talking Vikings. There's no equivalent for the Gophers (or any other team in town).

Barreiro loves to take cheap shots at the Gophers though.
Barreiro doesn't love to take cheap shots at the Gophers...Barreiro loves to take cheap shots.
I don't sense he has favorites....like his intro...always think you're the smartest guy in room.
He makes fun or picks on most anything.

I remember Denny Green saying it wasn't about the QB, it was about the system. True to some extent, but not greatly so.

Bet KOC says the same thing.
Thats not what KOC is saying after Hall, Dobbs and Mullens all flounder.

the throwing motion is an interesting one. The ball still gets out lightning quick and he is exceptionally accurate. It isn't prototypical but if it doesn't hurt in terms of one of those things, I don't know how much it matters.
Injuries: only one to a "money area" for a QB and that was a separated shoulder several years ago. Has been healthy the last 2. His 2 torn ACLs were when he was much more run heavy. Could see this being more concerning if that were the player he now, but now he's more a can scramble if forced to rather than a run first guy.
Age I think only means he needs to step in sooner. I think he's good enough to do it at the next level right away. One year would be a nice bonus to learn but he seems to grasp the game quite well in terms of reading defenses.
If whoever Penix is drafted by doesn't try to "fix him" he'll do fine.
There is talk he could go #1 overall. There are guys who say he is the best QB available.
There is wide opinion on who is best...Caleb, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, JJ McCarthy, Ewers and Bo Nix. Penix can be last guy in the group or first depending who is doing the evaluating.
Truly does seem wide open.
Vikings the last 8 weeks have proved how important QB accuracy is...Gophers proved it with 5 wins. I think Penix may end up #1 overall....with certainty if he lights it up Monday.

If whoever Penix is drafted by doesn't try to "fix him" he'll do fine.
There is talk he could go #1 overall. There are guys who say he is the best QB available.
There is wide opinion on who is best...Caleb, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, JJ McCarthy, Ewers and Bo Nix. Penix can be last guy in the group or first depending who is doing the evaluating.
Truly does seem wide open.
Vikings the last 8 weeks have proved how important QB accuracy is...Gophers proved it with 5 wins. I think Penix may end up #1 overall....with certainty if he lights it up Monday.
fair take. I think it'll still be Williams given the love affair with how he throws coupled with the creativity he has. That said, this draft looks like it has quite a few guys who should be productive at the next level. Is a draft we absolutely need to take a QB in. And not one in the effing 5th round

Bah, I think I did that at age 7.
Age 10 for me. I'm ambidexterous so I was the first guy in 5th grade basketball who could dribble left-handed and do a left-handed lay-up. Coaches really thought they had found a ballplayer until they discovered that I couldn't do much of anything else.

When I was watching the Steelers last night, I wondered why the Vikings (or other teams) didn't pursue Mason Rudolph when he was a free agent. I think he signed with the Steelers right around the draft, so he was out there. If we've learned anything at both the college and pro levels this season, you better have a decent back-up QB. Rudolph was holding a clipboard up until about a month ago. Before that he was buried behind Pickett and Trubinsky on the depth chart.

When I was watching the Steelers last night, I wondered why the Vikings (or other teams) didn't pursue Mason Rudolph when he was a free agent. I think he signed with the Steelers right around the draft, so he was out there. If we've learned anything at both the college and pro levels this season, you better have a decent back-up QB. Rudolph was holding a clipboard up until about a month ago. Before that he was buried behind Pickett and Trubinsky on the depth chart.
I'm not a Vikings fan (I would like Penix to remain in Seattle) but it's hard to not follow the team somewhat living here. I was thinking this today. The Vikings had absolute garbage at the backup QB position and it came back to bite them. This isn't the coaches fault - it's the GM. If I'm the owner, I have a discussion about this.

Top Bottom