Updates About Penn State Scandal UPDATED 6/12: PSU has spent $45.9M on scandal

JoPa is not going to be remembered well when all is said and done.

Somebody remind me, Joe who?

(see what I did there?)

Just leave it alone. Anything that come from this sordid story will be bad. Keep the young victims in mind. The Gophers can thrive despite this.

Just leave it alone. Anything that come from this sordid story will be bad. Keep the young victims in mind. The Gophers can thrive despite this.
I disagree. If guilty, the damage has been done. Although I'm sure it's painful for victims and their families to testify, I like that this information is open to public forum. Far too many people leave this kind of stuff "alone". I think it's part of the healing process for everyone. If it were my kid that was molested, I wonder how I'd cope.
Take note creeps. It may not take 20 years anymore for this stuff to catch up with you.

JoPa is not going to be remembered well when all is said and done.

I disagree. I am not going to get into it, but I feel the longer it goes on the more it is about Sandusky and less about PSU & Joe Pa.

AND those responsible for hiding it.

Spot on. JoePa was God in Happy Valley and had the power to do anything he wanted and he chose to pass the buck to his "bosses" which only facilitated the cover up of a child molester. As a result, this is his legacy... End of story for JoePa.

Spot on. JoePa was God in Happy Valley and had the power to do anything he wanted and he chose to pass the buck to his "bosses" which only facilitated the cover up of a child molester. As a result, this is his legacy... End of story for JoePa.

The only thing I dislike about this reasoning is that it makes a key assumption. We all assume that JoePa simply told the bosses and forgot about it. Who are we to say that they bosses didn't tell JoePa that they had taken care of it, involved the police, and the police had found nothing and that everything was a lie? We don't know what happened behind the scenes with JoePa's interactions with the execs at PSU and without the facts its all speculation. I'm not here to get into an argument on if JoePa is to blame and all that other stuff but there are some factors no one takes into account when automatically blaming him for things we don't know factually.

Penn State acknowledged an NBC report about an email exchange between top university officials regarding accusations by assistant coach Mike McQueary that Sandusky raped another victim. Former school president Graham Spanier, athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz decided that not alerting the police would be "humane" to Sandusky.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...on-trial-victim-1-credible-joe-amendola-.html

“Also, the Commonwealth has come into possession of computer data (again, subpoenaed long ago but not received from Penn State until after the charges had been filed in this case) in the form of e-mails between Schultz, Curley and others that contradict their testimony before the Grand Jury.”

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...ad-no-secret-files-on-jerry-sandusky-1065056/

I don't care how Joe will be remembered just so this jaded soul goes to jail and think about what he has done to innocent young people. Pathetic.

I honestly wonder in 10, 15 or 20 years what people will say about Joe Pa. On one hand you have a guy that built Penn State football from zero to National Champion, helped get them in the B1G, donated millions to Penn State and other charities, and did several other things to improve college football and the lives of a ton of college football players.

On the other hand, ESPN Outside the Lines did a story on PSU and the number of arrests and complaints against football players that went completely unprosecuted, uninvestigated and unpunished, several of those complaints being of a sexual assault nature. It was mind boggling. They made some of the 1980's Miami Hurricane teams look like saints.

And then there's the question of how much he knew about the Sandusky thing, when he knew it and if he did enough. Obviously if something comes out in the trial proving he knew something (rather than suspected), that will affect peoples' opinion a lot. Or if something comes out with his boss telling Joe Pa that the cops are investigating it and they will contact Joe Pa if they need any more info...

So, once the dust has settled do people start to ignore the bad for the good? Do they continue to consider him a villian? I think it'll be interesting to see.

On one hand you have a guy that built Penn State football from zero to National Champion

Just a point of clarification - Penn St. was already pretty damn good when Paterno became the head coach. He was actually the 5th Penn St. head coach to be inducted into the College Football HOF, after Dick Harlow, Hugo Bezdek, Bob Higgins, and Paterno's immediate predecessor (and boss while he was a Penn St. assistant) Rip Engle. Engle in particular was pretty successful, finishing in the Top 20 six times during his tenure and going to 4 straight bowl games from 1959-1962. Paterno took it to a new level, to be sure, but it's not accurate to say that it was at "zero" when he took over.

The years have a way of tainting the true picture. I'm old enough to remember Woody Hayes. Woody is the reason they started putting nets over the visiting teams entrances in Big 10 stadiums.

He was hated not for his success, but for being a crusty, nasty, old cuss that never did a kind act in his life. He is now remembered as one of the "Great Coaches" of all time. I'm surprised at how he's viewed now as opposed to how he was viewed 30+ years ago.

Joe Pa will eventually be remembered as a successful coach with uncanny longivity. I'd like to see him remembered as a person that lost his original vision and moral compass in the name of success. That way, we could have a real discussion on integrity and the legacy that one leaves behind.

Jo Pa-thetic

Thursday from ESPN.com:

Sandusky referred to himself as the "tickle monster".

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-claims-jerry-sandusky-called-tickle-monster

The only thing I dislike about this reasoning is that it makes a key assumption. We all assume that JoePa simply told the bosses and forgot about it. Who are we to say that they bosses didn't tell JoePa that they had taken care of it, involved the police, and the police had found nothing and that everything was a lie? We don't know what happened behind the scenes with JoePa's interactions with the execs at PSU and without the facts its all speculation. I'm not here to get into an argument on if JoePa is to blame and all that other stuff but there are some factors no one takes into account when automatically blaming him for things we don't know factually.

Stop and think. This was a close friend and assistant. He hears this horrifying story and does nothing to find out about the victim's well being and he does nothing to help his friend who is obviously in deep trouble and pain. This argument is insane.

I think Paterno's legacy will be tainted, but not so much that people forget all the success. It's terrible what happened, but as with all powerful people when they do something wrong people are either afraid to come forward or those that do don't have the greatest credibility. Sandusky got away scott free until he picked on the wrong kid.

Thursday from ESPN.com:

Sandusky referred to himself as the "tickle monster".

http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-claims-jerry-sandusky-called-tickle-monster

Not to take away from the horrid nature of this story at all, but one thing that caught my mind in this was the odd, odd disapearence of the old DA. That is the kind of thing you see in movies. I doubt it has anything to do with this PSU thing, but for some reason it wouldn't shock me if PSU football really had that much power ...

One of the investigators who interviewed the boy and Sandusky at the time, Ronald Schreffler, told the court he thought charges were warranted but that the district attorney, Ray Gricar, disagreed.

Gricar cannot explain his decision -- he disappeared in 2005 and was later declared legally dead.

Gricar was last seen April 15, 2005, about nine months before he was to retire as district attorney, after telling his girlfriend he was going for a drive. His car later was found abandoned at an antiques market.

Gricar's laptop was found three months later in the nearby Susquehanna River, without its hard drive, which was found separately -- and upriver -- that October. Investigators later said Gricar had done searches on another computer about how to destroy a hard drive, without explaining why that might be relevant to his disappearance.

I'm interested to hear what some of the members of this board who are in the legal field have to say about the case. From what I've been reading it seems like Amendola's cross-examinations have been...interesting.

Not to take away from the horrid nature of this story at all, but one thing that caught my mind in this was the odd, odd disapearence of the old DA. That is the kind of thing you see in movies. I doubt it has anything to do with this PSU thing, but for some reason it wouldn't shock me if PSU football really had that much power ...

Yes, there was a lot of talk about that when the Sandusky thing first broke. Here is a larger article about his disappearance.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/04/ray_gricar_mystery.html

This

Stop and think. This was a close friend and assistant. He hears this horrifying story and does nothing to find out about the victim's well being and he does nothing to help his friend who is obviously in deep trouble and pain. This argument is insane.

Amen. Amen. Amen. He didn't want to know,or he knew.

I hope that Joe Paterno is rotting in hell for molesting all of those children.

Good news. I still say this affects recruiting and even student enrollment in a negative way. How would You like to be a PSU alum?

This predator won't make it 18 months in jail before a guard "forgets" about protective custody and he gets "Dahmered".

Top Bottom