UPDATED 6/2: Joey King a Gopher, on full scholarship!

Was a pretty big star in high school, his Eastview team I believe beat Apple Valley (Tyus) fairly often. I know he had 37 in one of those games. Was Star Tribune player of the year his senior year as well if I recall correctly, I know he committed to Drake fairly early so his recruitment was kind of short. I know Tubby and Co. showed a little bit of interest as well.

I was at those AV Eastview games as well and King was not alone. He also had the Oberfeld kid who is going to Bucknell and had a significant height advantage. Eastview's game plan was to goon it up and make it rough on Tyus. Tyus always had a hard time putting it together even though he had monster games because nobody else complimented him in the game. Hell I think AV started a 6'2 center. Apple Valley was so much better now that Tyus had Fronk from 3 and Bertram in the middle.

I will say that King would be a good fit at a 3 because he is a really good spot of shooter and would be a very good zone buster. He always seemed a touch soft in banging at the Big Ten level, but yeah he would fit in the Pitino system. He is definitely a scholarship kid.

Joey King is a D1 player. Joey King is not a high D1 player. If Joey King wants to play close to home, he has to walk-on at Minnesota or play D2.

Oto Osenieks is not good. It doesn't matter if he plays SF, PF, or C. He cannot play.

Joey comes home

You're right... big 10 season play and MVC are close enough for comparison sake....

I imagine they know what they want to do with him. Phelps reportedly interviewed with Pitino. Ben probably recruited him at NI. I'm hoping they at least give him a one year scholarship audition. I don't think they'll be sorry. The MVC is a good league.

I imagine they know what they want to do with him. Phelps reportedly interviewed with Pitino. Ben probably recruited him at NI. I'm hoping they at lease give him a one year scholarship audition. I don't think they'll be sorry. The MVC is a good league.

I agree. I think folks are freaking out a bit much here.

No one is saying he will be our best player and no one is saying he'd play 40 minutes a game. But in the Spring signing period, a position of need, a MN guy that was also all freshman in his conference - not a bad pick up.

I highly doubt Pitino banks the scholarship. What are the other options? Tarik Black seems headed to Oregon, Rakeem Buckles is still in play, and Malik Smith would be our 74th guard on the roster.

Not sure what all the fuss is about here?

It's hilarious to me that so many people think if a player isn't quite good enough for the Big Ten, then they should play D2. That would only make sense if we were the worst conference.

Well I was responding to him visiting MN to look at schools to play at, hope it is csp instead of the U. Lets be real, he came off the bench for 15-17 8th placed Drake.

Well no but I don't want us to panic and give it to a bench player from the 3rd worst team in the valley.

So who that's available now would you give it too?

Assuming Black is not an option and Buckles is getting the third scholarship.

So who that's available now would you give it too?

Assuming Black is not an option and Buckles is getting the third scholarship.

Black is still an option but giving that scholly to king and Black would no longer be an option. Patience is a virtue, Pitino knows what he is doing and I would bet King does not get that scholly.

Black is still an option but giving that scholly to king and Black would no longer be an option. Patience is a virtue, Pitino knows what he is doing and I would bet King does not get that scholly.

I would say Black and King would be a real possibility were Black still interested. That leaves Buckles as the odd man out and chances are we don't know anything about Buckles until later.
You can't wait on him and then get stuck with no black, no Buckles and no King. Plus, we have no idea about Buckles knee or how long he'd stay healthy.

I guess I'm just saying lets say we wait, King goes elsewhere. black signs with Oregon and Buckles can't transfer. Now what?

All that said, I do trust Pitino will make the right call here regardless of what it is.

I would say Black and King would be a real possibility were Black still interested. That leaves Buckles as the odd man out and chances are we don't know anything about Buckles until later.
You can't wait on him and then get stuck with no black, no Buckles and no King. Plus, we have no idea about Buckles knee or how long he'd stay healthy.

I guess I'm just saying lets say we wait, King goes elsewhere. black signs with Oregon and Buckles can't transfer. Now what?

All that said, I do trust Pitino will make the right call here regardless of what it is.

I'm guessing Pitino knows exactly how Buckles knee is doing fwiw.

I'm guessing Pitino knows exactly how Buckles knee is doing fwiw.

He probably does know how it is now, but how athletic will he be when he plays a game? Can he stay healthy or is he a situation similar to Brandon Roy / Greg Oden? I have no idea, but certainly possible after that many injuries.

You're right... big 10 season play and MVC are close enough for comparison sake....

Did I say that? What I AM saying is that saying King isn't a good enough player solely because he played in the MVC last year is a joke. We have no idea how he would do in the B1G until he actually plays in it.

Did I say that? What I AM saying is that saying King isn't a good enough player solely because he played in the MVC last year is a joke. We have no idea how he would do in the B1G until he actually plays in it.
While you didn't say "that" you did reply to my post about the MVC and B1G season stats not being a comparable measure with a post about the MVC being rather "strong"..... Insinuating that the stats were comparable which is what I posted ("that").

You're restating what you "are saying" really doesn't correlate to what you "were saying" before.

Fwiw, I'm on board for King, and I agree with what your allegedly trying to say....

Sounds like a good walk on. No scholarship please....unless we have one sitting empty and he agrees to a one year offer. Hope for Buckles to come through for us. How about the Thomas kid who was going to Texas at one time......any word on him?

Tubby would never have brought Joey King in.

(Can you stop deleting posts\opinions)
Fwiw, from someone who was on tubbys staff, King was to join the team if Tubby was still here, there were major conversations prior to his release.

The clamoring of some people on this board to give King a scholarship is alarming. It's like anytime a player is interested in coming here the forum community immediately falls in love and believes said player will be a good contributor no matter what. The Gophers shouldn't give him a scholarship simply because they need a tall player who can shoot some (34.7% from 3 isn't impressive). They're better off holding that scholarship for future seasons to get better players.

You don't succeed in the Big Ten if you recruit marginal Big Ten caliber players. We need a big body, but we need to give it to someone who is worth it. We do not need another scholarship wasted on a player to fill a hole who cannot actually play in the Big Ten like Oto, Mav, and Armelin. You actually cause a bigger problem for your team by recruiting marginal players because those players hurt you instead of help you on the court, and they have a scholarship that could go to someone better.

King can walk-on, but I will not be happy if they give him a scholarship.

Fwiw, from someone who was on tubbys staff, King was to join the team if Tubby was still here, there were major conversations prior to his release.

I don't know, Parski said never. I'm going to believe him on this one.

Sarcasm btw, I'd heard the same things as you.

I am getting really tired of seeing people say that Mav is a wasted scholarship, the guy has worked hard and turned himself into a nice role player. I get it with Oto (to this point, he could still contribute by the time he is done here) but as far as I am concerned Mav has earned his scholarship.

I am getting really tired of seeing people say that Mav is a wasted scholarship, the guy has worked hard and turned himself into a nice role player. I get it with Oto (to this point, he could still contribute by the time he is done here) but as far as I am concerned Mav has earned his scholarship.

Agreed. Mav has really improved and worked hard and done well. He will have had a solid career when he is done here. Tubby always raved about how hard working and coach able he was.

I'd expect to see the same or more were King given a scholarship.

Agreed. Mav has really improved and worked hard and done well. He will have had a solid career when he is done here. Tubby always raved about how hard working and coach able he was.

I'd expect to see the same or more were King given a scholarship.

Hopefully he will just walk on with a hope to earn one the following season

Hopefully he will just walk on with a hope to earn one the following season

What would be the point of that? What do you gain by not giving him one this year? Is there some mystery recruit he'd be taking a scholarship from?

+1

Mav has gotten better. He is a good spot shooter. However, he is a liability handling the ball, he cannot run the offense efficiently, and he doesn't play good defense. I would hardly say he is a nice role player. But Mav does seem to work on his game and he tries hard. Hopefully he can be a nice role player next year.

Mav has gotten better. He is a good spot shooter. However, he is a liability handling the ball, he cannot run the offense efficiently, and he doesn't play good defense. I would hardly say he is a nice role player. But Mav does seem to work on his game and he tries hard. Hopefully he can be a nice role player next year.

I don't think you understand what a role player is.

Top Bottom