UPDATED 6/2: Joey King a Gopher, on full scholarship!

I was just going by this report. It says 6' 9", 220 lbs.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/144807/joey-king

I also read this bio at Drake...

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15700&ATCLID=205425466

It looks like he had a pretty darn good freshman season at Drake.

I thought the same thing. Dude looks like he's about 6'5. He also has a set shot with a really low release, though he does seem to make it more often than not. I question whether he'll be able to get his shot off in the Big Ten.

If an underclassman scholarship player has a career-ending injury, do schools pull the scholarship?

If an underclassman scholarship player has a career-ending injury, do schools pull the scholarship?

The school typically gets a waiver to continue giving the student the scholarship, but it doesn't count toward their scholarship limit.

The school typically gets a waiver to continue giving the student the scholarship, but it doesn't count toward their scholarship limit.

Thanks. My feeling is that unless otherwise discussed, scholarships are de facto career offers. Obviously, this isn't technically true and, indeed, players are routinely "encouraged" to move on.

I'd be shocked if King was given a scholarship by Pitino. Maybe it could be a situation where Pitino gave him a scholarship for next year in exchange for continuing as a walk on as Junior/Senior? I can't imagine anyone who is not biased towards Minnesota kids would be in favor of giving a scholarship to a guy who played 19 minutes a game for Drake last year.

Marcus with PP tweeting to Ryan James:

@RyanJamesMN Nice frame (6-9, 230), athleticism and skill for his size. I always liked Joey King's potential.

Joey King = Oto Osenieks. Not sure why everyone seems so negative about Oto but then says they like Joey King. They're both 6' 8", both more outside players than inside, both moderately athletic, and not great defenders. Joey is a few pounds heavier, but I would say Oto is quicker and has a better release on his shot. I would have taken Oto over Joey a couple years ago, but then Oto's shot went to heck last year, so that changes things a little. Otherwise, they're almost identical players.

I'd be shocked if King was given a scholarship by Pitino. Maybe it could be a situation where Pitino gave him a scholarship for next year in exchange for continuing as a walk on as Junior/Senior? I can't imagine anyone who is not biased towards Minnesota kids would be in favor of giving a scholarship to a guy who played 19 minutes a game for Drake last year.

You of course do realize he was the 6th man as a freshman playing behind 3 seniors and two juniors?
You do realize sometimes people get playing time on seniority or your team chemistry is "messed" up.
You do realize it is May and we are woefully in need of "big" people?
You do realize his head coach last year talked to Pitino about being an assistant this year?
A 6'9 guy who averaged 7 points a game as a freshman certainly fills a need for us right now.
I know nothing and haven't seen him play. Where he's from doesn't matter except if it helps him become
immediately eligible. If Pitino does accept him, I don't think it's hard to connect the dots if he just got
released from his scholarship and is now visiting Minnesota. I agree with your scholarship plan but whatever happens they know more about him than we do. Averaging 7 as a freshman is solid. He had a good game vs Wichita and they were there at the end. Rodney and Trevor averaged 10 as seniors for perspective.

My Dad an avid Drake fan tells me all about Drake. From what I have heard from him, Joey would be softer than Ralph at rebounding, but he would have a better shot from long range. I am assume a better in game shot than Oto. We all know Oto is the best practice shooter in the Nation, at least from what Tubby said.

Will he be in the cities looking at Concordia St. Paul? He is definitely not skilled enough to play at the U. He could fit in well with a D2 school.

Will he be in the cities looking at Concordia St. Paul? He is definitely not skilled enough to play at the U. He could fit in well with a D2 school.

All Freshman team in MVC as a bench player has to mean something. He is better than D2

You of course do realize he was the 6th man as a freshman playing behind 3 seniors and two juniors?
You do realize sometimes people get playing time on seniority or your team chemistry is "messed" up.
You do realize his head coach last year talked to Pitino about being an assistant this year?
A 6'9 guy who averaged 7 points a game as a freshman certainly fills a need for us right now.
I know nothing and haven't seen him play. Where he's from doesn't matter except if it helps him become
immediately eligible. If Pitino does accept him, I don't think it's hard to connect the dots if he just got
released from his scholarship and is now visiting Minnesota. I agree with your scholarship plan but whatever happens they know more about him than we do. Averaging 7 as a freshman is solid. He had a good game vs Wichita and they were there at the end. Rodney and Trevor averaged 10 as seniors for perspective.

Rodney and Trevor also played in the Big Ten, the strongest conference in the country, not the Missouri Valley Conference. I think Creighton and Wichita State were the only two teams from that conference to make the tournament this year, and probably the only ones that would have vied for a finish in the top half of the Big Ten this year. The rest of the teams in that conference seem like mostly the sort of scrubs we schedule out of conference, the kind of teams that Rodney would put up 20 points against. I don't know how good Joey King is, but I don't think it's right to compare his numbers in the Missouri Valley Conference with Rodney and Trevor's numbers in the Big Ten.

Joey King = Oto Osenieks. Not sure why everyone seems so negative about Oto but then says they like Joey King. They're both 6' 8", both more outside players than inside, both moderately athletic, and not great defenders. Joey is a few pounds heavier, but I would say Oto is quicker and has a better release on his shot. I would have taken Oto over Joey a couple years ago, but then Oto's shot went to heck last year, so that changes things a little. Otherwise, they're almost identical players.

People who are negative about Oto fail to realize that Tubby often played him out of position at SF. He is a PF, just like King is a PF. Playing SF was just setting him up to fail.

It's hilarious to me that so many people think if a player isn't quite good enough for the Big Ten, then they should play D2. That would only make sense if we were the worst conference.

Rodney and Trevor also played in the Big Ten, the strongest conference in the country, not the Missouri Valley Conference. I think Creighton and Wichita State were the only two teams from that conference to make the tournament this year, and probably the only ones that would have vied for a finish in the top half of the Big Ten this year. The rest of the teams in that conference seem like mostly the sort of scrubs we schedule out of conference, the kind of teams that Rodney would put up 20 points against. I don't know how good Joey King is, but I don't think it's right to compare his numbers in the Missouri Valley Conference with Rodney and Trevor's numbers in the Big Ten.

Rodney averaged 8.5 points in the Big Ten conference games as a senior. My point isn't to diminish Rodney. My point is the people dismissing King as a non factor because he played on a bad Drake team without help. He was a freshmen. He got in foul trouble. He did score 21 vs Xavier, 15 vs Wichita, 17 vs Creighton...decent teams. King is not consistent. Rodney averaged 4 as a freshman, 7 as a soph. My point is King likely will get better too and is not only D2 good based on the above games. He has shown some ability to perform vs good programs. I'm not saying he's a program turner. I am saying stats suggest he could help the Gophers in 2013-14. Wouldn't he be our best offensive big man? Trevor, Rodney, Ingram graduated. Buggs might be that guy potentially but he hasn't played yet. He hasn't had a season of experience. 7ppg and all freshman team in the MVC is not nothin'...all I'm trying to say.

Rodney averaged 8.5 points in the Big Ten conference games as a senior. My point isn't to diminish Rodney. My point is the people dismissing King as a non factor because he played on a bad Drake team without help. He was a freshmen. He got in foul trouble. He did score 21 vs Xavier, 15 vs Wichita, 17 vs Creighton...decent teams. King is not consistent. Rodney averaged 4 as a freshman, 7 as a soph. My point is King likely will get better too and is not only D2 good based on the above games. He has shown some ability to perform vs good programs. I'm not saying he's a program turner. I am saying stats suggest he could help the Gophers in 2013-14. Wouldn't he be our best offensive big man? Trevor, Rodney, Ingram graduated. Buggs might be that guy potentially but he hasn't played yet. He hasn't had a season of experience. 7ppg and all freshman team in the MVC is not nothin'...all I'm trying to say.

+1

All that matters is he's 1 inch taller than Oto, seems to shoot better in games, and doesn't look confused.

I don't know why I am going to engage in this silliness, but here goes.

Joey King played 19 minutes a game at Drake, what happened in that one season at Drake to all of a sudden prove him worthy of a scholarship at Minnesota?
He was behind 3 seniors and 2 juniors AT DRAKE a school that finished 7-11 in the Missouri Valley
So Joey King didn't start for a coach who was on the hot seat because of possible chemistry issues? ZERO chance in that situation, Phelps was playing to win
A 6'9 guy who averaged 7 points per game in the Missouri Valley Conference is not a need for us right now, especially a guy who averaged 2.9 rebounds a game
There is no comparison between Joey King and Rodney/Trevor, if there were he would have received interest from Minnesota coming out of HS

Joey King certainly belongs on a D-1 roster, I don't think he belongs at a high major whose coach "treats scholarships like Gold". We have had a real issue with the previous staff of taking guys in the Spring to fill a perceived need, only to be stuck with an unproductive player for 2-(to possibly)5 years. I maintain that if Joey King was from Kansas instead of Minnesota, nobody would think he'd be a good use of a Big Ten scholarship.

Joeys per game averages don't compare to past gophers... Joey was in the MVC...

If you guys are upset at King coming here, I guess you'll be furious to find out Pitino offered me a Scholly for next season to be Oto's confidence builder.

In all seriousness, the kid WILL walk on so don't freak out over scholorships. He will be just like Oto except has proven he can shoot in games. An upgrade from Oto is good right?

If you guys are upset at King coming here, I guess you'll be furious to find out Pitino offered me a Scholly for next season to be Oto's confidence builder.

In all seriousness, the kid WILL walk on so don't freak out over scholorships. He will be just like Oto except has proven he can shoot in games. An upgrade from Oto is good right?

I predict Oto has a breakthrough year. Tubby got into his player's heads (especially Rodney) and their on-court performance suffered.

I predict Oto has a breakthrough year. Tubby got into his player's heads (especially Rodney) and their on-court performance suffered.

All coaches get into their player's heads. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Let's hope when Coach P. gets into player's heads, it works more often than not.

Top Bottom