UPDATED 1/16: Former Gopher Marc Trestman hired as HC of Chicago Bears

For Trestman's entire tenure in the cfl he had arguably the greatest all time qb in the cfl. In the cfl the qb is everything. Its highly unlikely he wohld be the bears coach were it not for anthony calvillo

Maybe he will bring Calvillo with him to Chicago. I am sure the Chicago fans would embrace a fat 40 year qb.

I have to think the CFL success meant very little to the Chicago brass.

For Trestman's entire tenure in the cfl he had arguably the greatest all time qb in the cfl. In the cfl the qb is everything. Its highly unlikely he wohld be the bears coach were it not for anthony calvillo
or visa versa.

How big a factor did SaveBearsFootball.com have in this decision?

Good for him, I didn't want him touching my Gophers, as I wanted someone who's really more college ingrained, but you can't argue that he definitely has had success through his career.

Trestman's had lots of success at the college level as an assistant for a Natl Title winning Miami team. He's had success in the NFL as an assistant and he is well respected and considered good at what he does. He's gotten interviewed numerous times for jobs in the NFL or in college that were considered upward moves. Maybe he doesn't interview well? But now he's shown in the CFL that he can also be successful as a Head Coach, winning 2 of the 3 straight Grey Cup Championships he led his team to.

And why would we care?! Because Minnesota is more of a Cradle of Coaches than Miami of Ohio is, they just get the press because its unusual for a school who doesn't do much on the feild to do so well at putting out great coaches. While Minnesota's coaching production was basically overshadowed by our accomplishments on the feild. By the time we started to suck, and our production of great coaches was looked at as kind of a consolation prize of sorts for Gopher loyalists, the media had already declared Miami of Ohio the official Cradle of Coaches. They've even patented the phrase now.

So, Gopher fans want simply to continue to add to this long list of former Gophers who went out and kicked ass as coaches,

Dobie, Shaughnessy, Solem, Munn, Bierman, Cox, Wilkinson, Bruhn, Grant, Dungy.

And to make it even more significant is that we don't just produce great fb coaches, there is

Kundla-NBA, Saunders-CBA/NBA, Mariucci, Brooks, Johnson & Blais-Hcky, Enke & Keogan-cbb, Kindall-Bb, Loken-Gym, and many more I have not mentioned.

You are as nuts as your login name.

Best of luck to Trestman.

I do wonder with an aging defense, an a-hole QB, injury prone RB... if Trestman doesn't end up being the sacrificial lamb of a team on the decline.

Wait!What? Can you be more direct and precise in your commentary? If you are trying to insult me, don't you want me to know? I would like to know one way or the other. If you are trying to make a statement or say something, then just say it. Man up, if you have something to say, say it, and be clear about what it is you are saying.

While the CFL is certainly a minor league these days, that's not the point. Trestman's success in the CFL showed that he could manage everything involved with running an entire team - player personnel, coaching staff, game planning etc. That was really the only bit of experience he didn't have in terms of getting him a HC job in the NFL. He proved he could handle that successfully and thus the Bears are giving him a shot. He has a great reputation as a skilled offensive coach - he deserves a chance at the big time. The only issue I see is that the knuckledragger Bears fans won't like him because he's a smart guy and not an in-your-face hothead like Ditka.

While the CFL is certainly a minor league these days, that's not the point. Trestman's success in the CFL showed that he could manage everything involved with running an entire team - player personnel, coaching staff, game planning etc. That was really the only bit of experience he didn't have in terms of getting him a HC job in the NFL. He proved he could handle that successfully and thus the Bears are giving him a shot. He has a great reputation as a skilled offensive coach - he deserves a chance at the big time. The only issue I see is that the knuckledragger Bears fans won't like him because he's a smart guy and not an in-your-face hothead like Ditka.

I wish him luck, but since he's in the NFC North, I hope not--I hope he crashes and burns. I wish him luck as an ex-Gopher and Viking. We'll agree to disagree on his abilities. He's always been a major job-jumper (11 jobs on 25 years, never more than three years at a stop--until Mtl.), which to me means many negative things. He's spent 5 years at a minor-league job with minor league players. Whether that proves head coaching skill is up for debate.

Like I said, if he was in another division or league, I would wish him well. As that is not the case, I hope he goes 0-16.

I wish him luck, but since he's in the NFC North, I hope not--I hope he crashes and burns. I wish him luck as an ex-Gopher and Viking. We'll agree to disagree on his abilities. He's always been a major job-jumper (11 jobs on 25 years, never more than three years at a stop--until Mtl.), which to me means many negative things. He's spent 5 years at a minor-league job with minor league players. Whether that proves head coaching skill is up for debate.

Like I said, if he was in another division or league, I would wish him well. As that is not the case, I hope he goes 0-16.

Well, a lot of that job jumping has to do with as an assistant, when the head coach gets canned, so does the staff, and most new HC's will bring in their own guys. He's worked consistently over that time, so he must be doing something right.

Top Bottom