UPDATED 1/16: Former Gopher Marc Trestman hired as HC of Chicago Bears

GopherState

Reaction score
This is from Ian Rapoport...

@RapSheet: As I just said on @nflnetwork's #GameDayMorning: #Bears will interview Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman. #wildcard #Canada

Please let this happen.

Just curious, who was the last minor-league head coach to become an NFL head coach? It doesn't seem to happen very often.

I am not sure but Bud Grant was a very successful one.

Except the talent level and play of CFL was considered almost on the level with the NFL at that time. Now, it is only slightly ahead of the Arena league.

Just curious, who was the last minor-league head coach to become an NFL head coach? It doesn't seem to happen very often.

It's not like Trestman hasn't had some success in the NFL. I honestly don't know why he never got a shot as a HC in the NFL.

Trestman's had lots of success at the college level as an assistant for a Natl Title winning Miami team. He's had success in the NFL as an assistant and he is well respected and considered good at what he does. He's gotten interviewed numerous times for jobs in the NFL or in college that were considered upward moves. Maybe he doesn't interview well? But now he's shown in the CFL that he can also be successful as a Head Coach, winning 2 of the 3 straight Grey Cup Championships he led his team to.

And why would we care?! Because Minnesota is more of a Cradle of Coaches than Miami of Ohio is, they just get the press because its unusual for a school who doesn't do much on the feild to do so well at putting out great coaches. While Minnesota's coaching production was basically overshadowed by our accomplishments on the feild. By the time we started to suck, and our production of great coaches was looked at as kind of a consolation prize of sorts for Gopher loyalists, the media had already declared Miami of Ohio the official Cradle of Coaches. They've even patented the phrase now.

So, Gopher fans want simply to continue to add to this long list of former Gophers who went out and kicked ass as coaches,

Dobie, Shaughnessy, Solem, Munn, Bierman, Cox, Wilkinson, Bruhn, Grant, Dungy.

And to make it even more significant is that we don't just produce great fb coaches, there is

Kundla-NBA, Saunders-CBA/NBA, Mariucci, Brooks, Johnson & Blais-Hcky, Enke & Keogan-cbb, Kindall-Bb, Loken-Gym, and many more I have not mentioned.

And why would we care?! Because Minnesota is more of a Cradle of Coaches than Miami of Ohio is, they just get the press because its unusual for a school who doesn't do much on the feild to do so well at putting out great coaches.

I would argue it is because of the success many (not all listed below) had during their tenure with some well known schools / organizations where the media covering them fed into the "Cradle of Coaches" angle.

Earl Blaik, Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, Bill Arnsparger, George Little, Weeb Ewbank, Sid Gillman, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, John Pont, Carmen Cozza, Bill Mallory, Jim Tressel, Joe Novak, Ron Zook, Dick Crum, Paul Dietzel, William Narduzzi, Randy Walker, John Harbaugh, Gary Moeller, Larry Smith, Dick Tomey, Sean Payton and Terry Hoeppner.

Well, I'm not trying to take anything away from Miami of Ohio's Cradle tradition, but the list you presented includes coaches who never played football for Miami of Ohio, such as Sid Gillman, and also coaches with losing records or who were fired on more than one occasion, like Ron Zook. I could have listed about 20 more former Gophers with less stellar records as well, if not more, but I kept my list short, including only the best. I could also have listed coaches who never went to Minnesota, like you have on that list, like, just as one example, Shanahan. But all of that is missing the point. I was not trying to do a straight up comparison with Miami of Ohio, which I am confident Minnesota would win, but I was just pointing out that Miami of Ohio got noticed for their production of coaches, because they produced those coaches or they started their careers at Miami of Ohio, while Miami of Ohio was not regularly winning Natl Titles or getting into the Natl Rankings. Minnesota was regularly in the rankings and winning Natl Titles that overshadowed what former Gophers were doing elsewhere.

But seriously, fb season is over, if you think I was out of place to make the claim I did, I'd be more than pleased to do a head to head comparison, and you can see that I was right to claim what I did.

Otherwise, just let it go and accept that all I was really trying to do, was explain why some Minnesota fans care as much as they do about how former Gophers do in the field of coaching.

You do realize you are arguing with yourself right?

I had no problem with your claim (perhaps I should have stated that). Was merely pointing out the reason I thought they (Miami of Ohio) get the press.

I will let it go - as I wasn't holding on to anything in the first place.

"Trestman leading candidate for Bears"

John Clayton, ESPN, was asked about the Bears coaching search yesterday on the radio.
He said Trestman is the leading candidate for the job. He had an excellent interview.
And in Clyayton's opinion the best candidate.

Rich Gannon stated yesterday that Trestman is the best man for the Bears job because he could fix Jay Cutler's issues.

Bud Grant and Marv Levy both chimed in supporting Trestman. Bud knowsTrestman from the Vikings and their Minnesota ties.

I was one of the few people who had a positive opinion about Trestman being the Gopher coach. I was not sure how dynamic he would have been recruiting. But, he has been successful everywhere he has been, which is a lot of places.

I hope he gets the job. I watched him play quarterback at St Louis Park in high school. He was a great high school qb. I don't recall he played much for the Gophers or am I wrong? Were we just bad?

Except the talent level and play of CFL was considered almost on the level with the NFL at that time. Now, it is only slightly ahead of the Arena league.
Oh no! The NFL should have merged with the CFL, not the AFL. I hope the league eventually recovers from that mistake!

John Clayton, ESPN, was asked about the Bears coaching search yesterday on the radio.
He said Trestman is the leading candidate for the job. He had an excellent interview.
And in Clyayton's opinion the best candidate.

Rich Gannon stated yesterday that Trestman is the best man for the Bears job because he could fix Jay Cutler's issues.

Bud Grant and Marv Levy both chimed in supporting Trestman. Bud knowsTrestman from the Vikings and their Minnesota ties.

I was one of the few people who had a positive opinion about Trestman being the Gopher coach. I was not sure how dynamic he would have been recruiting. But, he has been successful everywhere he has been, which is a lot of places.

I hope he gets the job. I watched him play quarterback at St Louis Park in high school. He was a great high school qb. I don't recall he played much for the Gophers or am I wrong? Were we just bad?
The Trestman backlash on GH is an example of why Gopher Hole gets a bad name at times.

I watched him play quarterback at St Louis Park in high school. He was a great high school qb. I don't recall he played much for the Gophers or am I wrong? Were we just bad?

He didn't play much, the starting Gopher quarterback in those years went on to win the super bowl as a coach.

Is that a joke or are you being serious? I'm not kidding, I have no clue one way or the other? Mike had one good year in the Arena league, but otherwise, hasn't been spectacular, so not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you think their both being former Gophers will lead to him picking Mike? Has Mike any experience in the NFL?

Top Bottom