Up to 10,000 fans may attend Gophers Spring Game on May 1

The University of Minnesota football team will hold its annual spring game at 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 1 at TCF Bank Stadium. The game will be televised live on Big Ten Network.

The traditional Maroon versus Gold tilt will once again end with the victorious team hoisting the coveted Goldy's Cup and a player being named the Sid Hartman Spring Game MVP.

Up to 10,000 fans will be permitted to attend the spring game, and although admission will be free, those attending will need to claim a complimentary ticket in advance. Tickets may be claimed online and will be available until they are gone. Tickets are available in pods of two or four and cannot be adjusted or moved. All tickets will be distributed digitally.

Face coverings, which cover the nose and mouth at all times, must be worn by all spectators inside TCF Bank Stadium. Tailgating will not be permitted on University property or in parking lots and bags will not be permitted inside the stadium.

Parking lots and gates to the stadium will open at 10 a.m. Public parking will be available in the Maroon Lot, Victory Lot and Lot 37.

Minnesota's spring game last season was canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but two off-the-field traditions will also be returning this year.

First, the Gophers will once again host a diaper drive in conjunction with the spring game. Fans are encouraged to bring diapers to the game and drop them off outside the stadium near Tribal Nations Plaza (outside of West Plaza). These diapers will then be donated to the Diaper Bank of Minnesota where they will then be distributed to families in need.

Second, fans are encouraged to bring a decorated oar to the spring game. These customized oars will be added to the inside of TCF Bank Stadium as they adorn the hallway that the Gophers travel from their locker room to the field on game days. These inspirational oars are the final images the Gophers see before taking the field and serve as a way to connect the community and state with Gopher football.

Minnesota begins the regular season on Thursday, Sept. 2, against Ohio State. Season tickets are on sale now and start as low as $35 per game.

Go Gophers!!

Score! Just grabbed a couple tickets. Hopefully it's a nice day!

My section is sold out .... i'm a little snooty about not being able to sit in 'my seats' / sit where the rubes usually sit ...

Grabbed a couple as well. wish I would’ve seen it earlier to get back in my old section, but I’m just happy that I can be there!

No.

Tried to get tickets right after the email went out, and already not available. Did ticket selling bots snatch them all up (even though they're free)? I can't imagine there is that much demand.
I kinda expect extra demand in the fall from sports fans.

But i agree demand now seems ... odd....

Tried and failed. I will be there in spirit only.

From my experience buying computer parts this past winter, the site is just choking. Sites will default to "Unavailable" so as to not over-sell. Just keep trying.

I am also interested in what their enforcement plan will be for mask wearing. Ushers/security spaced out? Honor based? Wait until someone nearby complains?

Update: #Gophers football program ran out of the 10,000 tickets available for the May 1 spring game in less than two hours since announcing they were available for free on Thursday morning. Per Andy Greder

Update: #Gophers football program ran out of the 10,000 tickets available for the May 1 spring game in less than two hours since announcing they were available for free on Thursday morning. Per Andy Greder
Wow, looks like I was wrong.

In normal conditions they'd increase the number of tickets, but they are already at the max allowed per MN guidelines. Don't see the guidelines changing before May 1st to allow more since statewide cases have started to trend upward.

From my experience buying computer parts this past winter, the site is just choking. Sites will default to "Unavailable" so as to not over-sell. Just keep trying.

I am also interested in what their enforcement plan will be for mask wearing. Ushers/security spaced out? Honor based? Wait until someone nearby complains?

I feel like this will likely be honor based.

The amount of staff for the usual spring game is minimal at best.

Disappointing that the state will only allow 10k fans. That's even less than they're allowing in California for baseball games.

I wonder how the wait list will work. I'd have to imagine quite a few people who got tickets won't end up going and just reserved them while they had the chance and will figure out if they're going later.

Disappointing that the state will only allow 10k fans. That's even less than they're allowing in California for baseball games.

I wonder how the wait list will work. I'd have to imagine quite a few people who got tickets won't end up going and just reserved them while they had the chance and will figure out if they're going later.
Yeah the amount of people who show often is WAY dependent on weather.

This. I tried getting a pod of 4 (tried about 5 times), no dice. So I tried 2, and that worked. Tried getting another 2 (so whole family can go), no dice. So we have two. The problem with these "free" tickets is I'm willing to bet a good chunk of people just snatched them up in case they go. There will be a fair amount of people that got tickets that don't show.

IMO, it would have been better to just charge a nominal fee (like $5?) per seat and donate proceeds to charity. That keeps out the people that are just getting tickets "in case", and probably results in better attendance.

This. I tried getting a pod of 4 (tried about 5 times), no dice. So I tried 2, and that worked. Tried getting another 2 (so whole family can go), no dice. So we have two. The problem with these "free" tickets is I'm willing to bet a good chunk of people just snatched them up in case they go. There will be a fair amount of people that got tickets that don't show.

IMO, it would have been better to just charge a nominal fee (like $5?) per seat and donate proceeds to charity. That keeps out the people that are just getting tickets "in case", and probably results in better attendance.
They also should have rolled this out based on gopher score (the appropriate way to evaluate people).

Granted taht's all costly for a usually free event ... but kinda wild that there are going to be season ticket holders who can't go....

There are regulations on Government donating to charity. Not sure they can do this without a public process. Not saying it can't be done, but charging for a typical free event, during the pandemic would seem odd.

Top Bottom