Unofficial Game Thread

We played pretty well for the first game. There needs to be improvements made in the D and the passing game but I am liking what I have seen in this game so far

Sorry, you my friend are delusional. A Sun Belt team without 70% of their offense and we looked clueless.

Good game. One bad quarter, one missed tackle, and nothing else given up. Weber needs some work, but he settled in nicely in the second half. Decent start.

Really, not our best work, but honestly, outside of a 5 minute period in the 2nd quarter when things got a little out of control, we controlled this game. I think this game was all about really establishing that we wanna run. As the year goes on, we'll see some expansion on the offense, I'm sure.

Gophers win and that is they bottom line. Wasn't always pretty. We covered the spread too. 1-0

The grind it out running style of this team is not going to produce blowouts. The plan worked. On the last drive, MTSU was worn out and the Gophers controlled the clock.

Good start for the Gophers! I'm pumped. They could have easily scored again, but Brewster did the smart and classy thing by kneeling the ball.

I didn't see the whole game, but I really liked what I did see.

:clap:

If you're looking for pretty W's this year you're going to be sorely disappointed. Don't look gifts in the mouth. Guys nutted up (Weber included) when they had to. That said, they better get a bunch of problems fixed in the next 16 days or they're gonna get worked by USC.

see you guys in minneapolis in ten days! going for 2-0!

Really, not our best work, but honestly, outside of a 5 minute period in the 2nd quarter when things got a little out of control, we controlled this game. I think this game was all about really establishing that we wanna run. As the year goes on, we'll see some expansion on the offense, I'm sure.

Well, they could say that, outside of the 14 early points, they did well, too.

Its still disappointing IMO. Good Big Ten teams shouldn't have to struggle with Middle TEN state. I don't care how good they are for a crap conference team.

Its still disappointing IMO. Good Big Ten teams shouldn't have to struggle with Middle TEN state. I don't care how good they are for a crap conference team.

Yeah, and men shouldn't have to deal with how crazy women can be. This isn't an ideal world we live in. So don't carry on and whine about how things should be, etc. Be encouraged by the progress that was shown tonight. The Gophers showed an identity. They showed a purpose. They had a plan and they executed. Sure improvements can be made across the board, but don't disparage the work that's been done. Learn to appreciate the fact that this team and program seems to have a direction now, and support it. Or else fall by the wayside and never be happy while you continue whine about how things should be.

Good game.

Bummed about the ending. I would have loved for us to have had that chance to tie it up.

Yeah, and men shouldn't have to deal with how crazy women can be. This isn't an ideal world we live in. So don't carry on and whine about how things should be, etc. Be encouraged by the progress that was shown tonight. The Gophers showed an identity. They showed a purpose. They had a plan and they executed. Sure improvements can be made across the board, but don't disparage the work that's been done. Learn to appreciate the fact that this team and program seems to have a direction now, and support it. Or else fall by the wayside and never be happy while you continue whine about how things should be.

I can't really agree that progress was shown. It was a mediocre team (being kind) that they should have flat out WHIPPED.

Spare me the homerism.

Not entirely. When you control the ball for 45 minutes, you are controlling the game. And guess what? Good BT teams struggle all the time with lesser NC opponents, like Iowa last year needing a last second FG block to beat UNI AT HOME.

Like I said before, we didn't get the explosive plays we should have had considering how we were dominating their line. That's the kind of stuff that'll need to get patched up.

I can't really agree that progress was shown. It was a mediocre team (being kind) that they should have flat out WHIPPED.

Spare me the homerism.

I'm not a homer, buddy. I'm a Texas fan. However, I have been following the Gophers for the past few years and for the first time I can say that this team has an identity and a purpose.

As I stated before, this style of play will not produce "whippings" often, especially not in week one on the road.

Well, I'm no homer, and I say this was a good win. We had the ball for over 40 minutes for god sakes. As another pointed out, a ball control win isn't gonna be a blowout. You just ain't gonna score often enough to put up more than 28 points or so. We got 24. Not bad.

That said, O-line and Defense REALLY need to pick it up a level. Ball control doesn't work if the defense gives up a TD in 45 seconds the times you inevitably get stuffed, sacked or throw an incompletion on 3rd down you .

I am not a huge Gopher fan - but a win is a win - no style points needed. In the same breath a loss is a loss as well.

And as another poster mentioned, controlling the ball for 45 minutes is EXACTLY what they wanted to do. They had a plan and they executed. End result: win.

Overall impressions - I at least am encouraged by what I saw - we at least had a plan and tried to execute it, and pretty much did. Establish the run, and then keep running. Took the pressure off Weber to HAVE to make plays all the time, and when he did need to make a play, like on the third and long late in the game, he did.

It was clear on the last 2 drives that we had worn out their defense. When you start at your own 1 yard line and get points out of it, that is a great drive. Almost the same thing on the go ahead drive - the defense was just totally gassed. That was the game plan. Check.

Yes there is room for improvement but for a first game coming off a 6-7 season, on the road, I felt good about it.

my thoughts

Defense---TACKLE...TACKLE...TACKLE...too many yards given up after 1st hit
Offense---protect your passer...Weber was horrible when rushed...not too bad in second half when given time

Bennett---good night but keep your head up...ran into blockers too many times
Kirkwood...excellent game...I'm expecting good things from him as time progresses

Exactly. This style of offense is geared to wear down the opposing defense and keep your defense fresh.

The defense will definitely need to step up their game, but the great thing about this game is they didn't have to because the offense was able to dictate the action and control the clock.

The most important thing about running this offense though is turnovers. You take care of the ball and you can beat some pretty good teams with this strategy.

Like I said before, I'm very encouraged about this team's direction.

Good game, Gophers! Keep working!

:clap:

little or no mention was the 0 turnovers and very few penalties much improved

In my mind the best part about this victory was the no-panic methodical approach at the end. The team obviously got loosy-goosey in the second quarter, so it was good to see them (the offense at least) simply go out and execute without having to make a bunch of 'diving catches' so to speak.

Uh, yeah, not really. The Gophers dominated the 4th quarter as well. They scored the final 10 points of the game. So other than the first quarter, the first half of the second quarter, the end of the 3rd quarter, and the entire 4th quarter, yeah, I guess MTSU could say they outplayed us for 25% of the game.

Spare me the homerism.

Why don't you spare us from yourself? Just go away if it's that painful.

The nay-sayers...

...make me laugh.

We have an identity...we stopped them when we needed to.

And for the first time in a long time....the D knew what we doing and they couldn't stop it to run- out-the-clock! Awesome job O line and RB!

45 + minutes of possession ...wow. Wore them out.

Not sure what we forgot to do when they scored 14 points...but I am darn sure they tried to do it in the 2nd half....and we didn't let them do it. Nice adjustments Cosgrove or just better execution.

I wonder if the tone would be different if we would have scored at the end to make it 31-17?? Classy move Brew.

Loved the win.

They will whip SD next week.

GM

I'm glad we won but this game didn't show us anything. Yes, they ran well but when facing a team so much smaller than you, you should steamroll them.

Passing game was garbage. Defense is going to get shredded against USC and most Big Ten teams.

The only positives here are the win and having success in the running game (though it might not mean much).

With if MTSU has Dasher, they probably win this game.

They had better come out next week an steamroll SD.

I know it's a little late, but I wanted to say good game. I've never seen a team run the ball like that and use that much clock. It was pretty obvious what Minnesota wanted to do. Pound the ball behind their big OL and control the clock. I wasn't that impressed with Weber. He didn't pass much, but when he did, he didn't look too accurate. Yall have a couple of nice RB's though. Kilgore did pretty good. He had some beautiful passes where he threaded the needle. Especially on one of the TD's.

Good game and good luck next week.

Top Bottom