Undefeated matchup: Fill-in No. 8 BYU faces No. 14 Chants - Just Scheduled - Game of the Year!!!!

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Hell yeah, give me more of this please!!!

Undefeated matchup: Fill-in No. 8 BYU faces No. 14 Chants (yahoo.com)

The Associated Press
Thu, December 3, 2020, 4:34 PM EST·2 min read

No. 8 BYU (9-0, CFP No. 13) at No. 14 Coastal Carolina (9-0, CFP No. 18), 5:30 p.m. ET (ESPNU).
Line: BYU by 10.
Series record: First meeting.

WHAT’S AT STAKE?
Undefeated seasons and positioning in the College Football Playoff rankings. The Cougars and Chanticleers are two of the three 9-0 teams in college football with No. 2 Notre Dame the other. The winner of this one will be well positioned to the Group of Five's representative for a New Year's Six bowl should No. 7 Cincinnati (8-0) falter.

This is awesome.

I will watch.

I guess I have to root for BYU as I desperately want a non P5 team in there (even though I know it's not likely they'll make the playoff) and the Chants are to far out at #14.
Yeah.
I don’t think Coastal has the team speed to compete with the big boys having only watched them once.

but if they win, they should jump to right where BYU would be. If the committee thinks BYU is 13th and an unbeaten team beats them... no reason coastal shouldn’t jump to at least 13th.

this game doesn’t help either teams chances. The committee has already basically said these two teams are not in the mix.

Yeah.
I don’t think Coastal has the team speed to compete with the big boys having only watched them once.

but if they win, they should jump to right where BYU would be. If the committee thinks BYU is 13th and an unbeaten team beats them... no reason coastal shouldn’t jump to at least 13th.

this game doesn’t help either teams chances. The committee has already basically said these two teams are not in the mix.

If they do increase the playoff to 8 or 10 teams then they need to include the highest rated non P5 team.

David vs. Goliath always plays well - The Boise win over the Sooners was one of the best CFB games in recent memory - we need more of those opportunities IMO.

I still think BYU winning the national title a few years ago was a joke. I will be happy to see them get steamrolled.

Amazing how often were told these schedules need to happen YEARS in advance. Notre Dame wants to play Texas? Great, book it for 2038. But now they can reschedule games and play them in 36 hours? Incredible efficiency by the athletic departments.

We were supposed to play BYU this year right? Round 2 is set for 2025 so the team will be completely different.

If they do increase the playoff to 8 or 10 teams then they need to include the highest rated non P5 team.

David vs. Goliath always plays well - The Boise win over the Sooners was one of the best CFB games in recent memory - we need more of those opportunities IMO.
I agree with you but saying top ranked non-P5 in an 8 team playoff still leaves out 2 unbeatens this year (coastal/byu winner and Marshall)

we need there to be a 12 or 16 team playoff with auto bids for all conference champions. If the MAC champ doesn’t deserve to be there...it’s okay...they’ll just get beat

I guess I have to root for BYU as I desperately want a non P5 team in there (even though I know it's not likely they'll make the playoff) and the Chants are to far out at #14.
This game could very much be a play-in game to a NY6 bowl slot.

Since Cincy is all but guaranteed to get the G5 auto-bid as a top 10 ranked team, that should guarantee all the top 12 ranked teams go to the NY6. The only other contract slots are for the Orange Bowl, which will likely go to Miami as the next highest ranked ACC team (with Clemson and ND in the playoff), and then the highest ranked Big Ten or SEC team not in the playoff (probably Texas A&M).

I agree with you but saying top ranked non-P5 in an 8 team playoff still leaves out 2 unbeatens this year (coastal/byu winner and Marshall)

we need there to be a 12 or 16 team playoff with auto bids for all conference champions. If the MAC champ doesn’t deserve to be there...it’s okay...they’ll just get beat

Like it. A 16 game playoff would be great. Maybe take a game off the regular season. Would have people filling out brackets ala march madness.

This game could very much be a play-in game to a NY6 bowl slot.

Since Cincy is all but guaranteed to get the G5 auto-bid as a top 10 ranked team, that should guarantee all the top 12 ranked teams go to the NY6. The only other contract slots are for the Orange Bowl, which will likely go to Miami as the next highest ranked ACC team (with Clemson and ND in the playoff), and then the highest ranked Big Ten or SEC team not in the playoff (probably Texas A&M).

Good point - thanks.
Fingers crossed.

Like it. A 16 game playoff would be great. Maybe take a game off the regular season. Would have people filling out brackets ala march madness.

Exactly - Every team gets rid of a powder puff off their schedule.

So using the current top 12:

Alabama Notre Dame Clemson Ohio State - playoff (Rose and Sugar)
Orange - Miami (next highest ACC), Texas A&M (highest SEC or Big Ten)

That leaves: Florida, Cincy (G5 auto bid), Georgia, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Indiana

Florida will lose to Alabama in SEC champ game, but probably won't knock them down too far. Georgia only has Vandy left, should win. Iowa St and OU will probably play each other in Big XII champ game, plus ISU has WV at home, and OU has Baylor at home then travels to WV. Maybe OU drops out of top 12 with loss(es)? Rematch favors first game loser though, so perhaps ISU loses and drops out? Indiana has to face Wisconsin in Madison and then arch-rival Purdue at home, before possibly going to Big Ten champ game if Ohio St can't. Guessing loss(es) drop them out of top 12.

I mean right there, if IU loses to the Badgers and BYU wins this game this weekend, they could easily take over that #12 spot.

The problem with that: it forces 130 teams to get rid of a regular season game, so that 16 teams can have an extra playoff game.

You can talk about ideology all day, but practical matters of TV inventory/money and home game revenue, make that a tough sell.

All conference champions getting in would incentivize bigger and better non-conference games because you’d be playing for seeding rather than potentially ruining your season with a non-conference loss.

You could lose a big time non conference game and have national championship still in play by winning the conference

I don’t think they get rid of the 12th game though.

2 teams would play 17. 4 teams would play 16.
Currently 2 play 15.

It’s two more games for people. (National champs have been playing 15 lately).

If you did 12 it would still leave 2 “at large” bids. Most likely the top 4 who get the “bye” would be playing at most 16 then. Still possible teams 5-12 could play 17.

There's a bunch of real men on that BYU squad. If you don't like to play physical football, BYU will run you over. Coastal going to be roadkill saturday, mark it down.

BYU would be a good fit in a P6 conference IMO.

The problem with that: it forces 130 teams to get rid of a regular season game, so that 16 teams can have an extra playoff game.

You can talk about ideology all day, but practical matters of TV inventory/money and home game revenue, make that a tough sell.

Just spitballing, but a 16 game playoff would make a lot of money. Wonder if some of that could be distributed to the 130 teams to make up for the lost game.

Another thought could be that the non playoff teams could play an extra game at the end of the season ala the big ten crossover games this season. These games would affect bowl eligibility for those teams so teams would be motivated from that perspective as well to win that final game.

If you like nerding out on offensive breakdowns, Coach Dan Casey is your man. His Twitter has thousands of little 15 minute breakdowns and stuff. Here's a little piece on one of their passing concepts:

There's a bunch of real men on that BYU squad. If you don't like to play physical football, BYU will run you over. Coastal going to be roadkill saturday, mark it down.

BYU would be a good fit in a P6 conference IMO.

That's why we play the games - the Sooners were a mortal lock against Boise and even though AP was amazing, they still lost. Let's Go Chants!!

Yes you are right, BYU are big Morrmon badazzes.

BYU's YTD stats are amazing-

4th in most pts. scored per game 47.6
4th in least pts. allowed per game 13.9

I want them to baptize some P6 team on New Year's

Last edited:

Pretty amazing that ESPN couldn't manage to switch this to one of their bigger channels. College Gameday is covering Coastal and all they could give them was ESPNU? Really shows that this game is not that important.

Pretty amazing that ESPN couldn't manage to switch this to one of their bigger channels. College Gameday is covering Coastal and all they could give them was ESPNU? Really shows that this game is not that important.
It more shows the stranglehold the P5 has on tv contracts.
It’s on espnU because espn has signed contracts that said they would put other games on other networks

Speaking of the lowly Sun Belt (Coastal's conference), their other top 25 CFP ranked team, U of Louisiana, squeaked out the win last night over a tough opponent on the road to go 9-1 on the regular season, with only a 27-30 home loss to Coastal, and including a Week 1 win over Iowa State in Ames.

How much does Iowa State regret having that game on the schedule, now?? Granted, they still lost on the road to a Okla St squad that was undefeated and looking tough at the time, but has now faded, so they probably wouldn't be in the CFP discussion even if they beat OU in the champ game. But still ...

Lousiana will get its chance for revenge in the Sun Belt championship game against Coastal, in two weeks, with a bye next week, while Coastal plays BYU today and then another regular season game next weekend.

Speaking of the lowly Sun Belt (Coastal's conference), their other top 25 CFP ranked team, U of Louisiana, squeaked out the win last night over a tough opponent on the road to go 9-1 on the regular season, with only a 27-30 home loss to Coastal, and including a Week 1 win over Iowa State in Ames.

How much does Iowa State regret having that game on the schedule, now?? Granted, they still lost on the road to a Okla St squad that was undefeated and looking tough at the time, but has now faded, so they probably wouldn't be in the CFP discussion even if they beat OU in the champ game. But still ...

Lousiana will get its chance for revenge in the Sun Belt championship game against Coastal, in two weeks, with a bye next week, while Coastal plays BYU today and then another regular season game next weekend.
I’ll never understand how a team can have fewer losses and a head to head win and be rated lower.

how does a single voter vote Iowa state over Louisiana.

Louisiana dominated the game when they played. Louisiana has zero bad losses and a quality win.
Iowa state has a quality win. Zero bad losses but two losses.

I get Louisiana being 24th but then Iowa state cant be better than 25th.

I get Iowa state being 11th but then Louisiana can’t be wore than 10th.

We were supposed to play BYU this year right? Round 2 is set for 2025 so the team will be completely different.
Thank god, we would have been run off the field. BYU is legit this year. Our defense, not so much.

Top Bottom