UCLA's Chip Kelly advocates for single Power 5 conference

SHGopher

Reaction score

"I think we should all be independent in football," Kelly said. "You can have a 64-team conference that's in the Power 5 and you can have a 64-team conference in the Group of 5, and we separate it and we play each other."

Kelly said that he believes there should be one TV contract that includes every conference, where potential regional divisions are sponsored by brands and the overall media offering is stronger and more appealing to potential TV partners....

....retain rivalries while also creating new ones....

....And in what was perhaps the staunchest point of his answer, Kelly also called for revenue sharing between schools and players which, in his mind, would alleviate a lot of the murkiness that name, image and likeness has brought to the sport in recent years.

"The players should get paid and you can get rid of [NIL] and the schools should be paying the players because the players are what the product is," Kelly said. "And the fact that they don't get paid is, really, the biggest travesty."

NIL can never legally go away.

Why do people keep talking about solutions that involve no NIL?

It's here to stay forever. Get over it.

Whatever new system people want must include NIL.

NIL in college can be how it is in the NFL. It’s there, but it doesn’t matter. Just the superstars endorse things, and as themselves. Not because they play for any particular team (school).

NIL in college can be how it is in the NFL. It’s there, but it doesn’t matter. Just the superstars endorse things, and as themselves. Not because they play for any particular team (school).
Except it's worse, it's the Premier League.

Chip gets it.
Chip must have read my post from a few months ago because this is almost exactly the format I laid out. I'm no brain wizard, but I think the end result is we will see something resembling what Kelly has described in terms of how the actual season plays out. Like a poster above said, I think NIL (for good or ill) is here to stay. Same with the portal.

The problem is how do you pick 64 teams. Someone will be left out. Maybe you make each school give a commitment of money and you only take the schools that do. Could end with more than 64 that way.

The problem is how do you pick 64 teams. Someone will be left out. Maybe you make each school give a commitment of money and you only take the schools that do. Could end with more than 64 that way.
Promotion and relegation, embrace it.

The networks, the conferences, the ncaa AND the players need to hammer this out. A PLAYERS union needs to be formed…because the players ARE the game of football.

UNITE payers U N I T E !!!

“…you can’t scare me, I’m sticking to the union…”

;0)

An exemption from antitrust rules needs to be granted just like the nfl has. Then it will all work out just fine.

Last edited:

So if there is a single conference there will still probably be a need for divisions. So you could take the western most schools on the Pacific Coast, maybe 10 of them, and call it the PAC 10, then maybe take, I don't know, 10 Midwest schools and put them together and call it the Big Ten. Same with Southeastern schools, call it the SED.

On a serious point, I think it's probably headed in some form of this anyways. FBS is basically two divisions alredy at this point. When half the sub-division is basically set on a higher pedestal, it's hard to consider them equals. College football in reality is basically five divisions:
  • Power 5 - Division 1
  • Group of 5 - Division 2
  • FCS - Division 3
  • Division 2 - Division 4
  • Division 3 - Division 5
As for the money situation, I think NIL is here to stay, players getting to be in commercials and such is going to be around. What I'm wondering is how paying players would be decided, if it would be a flat rate to play or if each school could decide. Tough to see exactly how that would play out.

Except it's worse, it's the Premier League.
English soccer I assume you’re talking about, not the hypothetical CFB super conference.

That has no salary cap, so that’s why that is like that.

A salary cap can be possible in CFB, so long as players collectively bargain for it.

This is already coming and happening.
Its called the big ten.

And it will probably expand to about 30 teams by 2038

NIL can never legally go away.

Why do people keep talking about solutions that involve no NIL?

It's here to stay forever. Get over it.

Whatever new system people want must include NIL.
It could go back to true NIL though. What’s currently happening, including our collective, has little to do with NIL.

I wonder if the NCAA could cobble this together while keeping the current conferences. The current powers can agree to lots of things.

Right now they have media contracts lasting years. The next world is probably years away.

English soccer I assume you’re talking about, not the hypothetical CFB super conference.

That has no salary cap, so that’s why that is like that.

A salary cap can be possible in CFB, so long as players collectively bargain for it.

Salary cap is lip service. We’ll just be back to under the table bag drops for the top kids anyway.

Go Gophers!!

there's a lot of people in the TV world that would go through it," Kelly said. "You can sponsor each one. Instead of calling it Group of 5 and Power 5, you can call it Amazon, Nike, bid that out to things."

Would? We’re there.

Brawndo/Costco. Or ESPN/FOX. Could have NBC, CBS, Peacock, ABC divisions.

Instead of an elimination play-off choose the championship teams on merit projected TV advertising revenue.

Salary cap is lip service. We’ll just be back to under the table bag drops for the top kids anyway.
Bags/NIL is all about getting player X, Y, Z to come to your school. Get them in the door, in the first place.

It’s never been about rewarding players for great play.

You can do that with salary, just as well if not better.

And with salary, Gophers actually can offer the money. We have no bagmen and never have.

Bags/NIL is all about getting player X, Y, Z to come to your school. Get them in the door, in the first place.

It’s never been about rewarding players for great play.

You can do that with salary, just as well if not better.

And with salary, Gophers actually can offer the money. We have no bagmen and never have.
I know a few Gophers who would disagree.

Go Gophers!!

in the end, the courts will tell the NCAA what type of system they are allowed to have.

If Congress passed a national NIL bill, it would need to survive a court challenge.
if the NCAA created a new system or sub-division with direct payments to players, it would still need to survive a court challenge.

the NCAA could speed up the whole process IF it was willing to recognize players as employees of the schools. But as long as the NCAA tries to hang onto the 'student-athlete' amateur model, they will face more court challenges.

call me crazy, but I think there is a good chance that the future of big-time college sports is decided by Brett Kavanaugh. (assuming he can get at least four other Justices to see things his way)

in the end, the courts will tell the NCAA what type of system they are allowed to have.

If Congress passed a national NIL bill, it would need to survive a court challenge.
if the NCAA created a new system or sub-division with direct payments to players, it would still need to survive a court challenge.

the NCAA could speed up the whole process IF it was willing to recognize players as employees of the schools. But as long as the NCAA tries to hang onto the 'student-athlete' amateur model, they will face more court challenges.

call me crazy, but I think there is a good chance that the future of big-time college sports is decided by Brett Kavanaugh. (assuming he can get at least four other Justices to see things his way)

Previous Supreme Court opinions have opined that the spirit of college athletics is defined by amateurism and not subject to typical industry law. Brett is applying his cold, maybe hung over eye of the law to a matter of the heart. Explain love, Mr. Kavanaugh…

Related, California legislators have introduced several proposals for revenue sharing for any program receiving $10M+ annually in media rights but importantly stipulate no employer/employee relationship would exist. Recognizing athletes as employees would instantly torpedo most (beyond the ESPN/FOX blue bloods) college athletic program balance sheets and surely the math would say shutter programs even with penalties…or raise tuition/fees which is about as popular right now as Herbstreit at Florida State. College administrators joined the NCAA in opposing both the California bills and any NLRB efforts to reclassify athletes as employees. Interesting, I’d say.

Can a union exist if they aren’t labor? Maybe some other entity could organize athletes as an independent contractor-style negotiating bloc. I don’t know. Yelling at clouds.

Would? We’re there.

Brawndo/Costco. Or ESPN/FOX. Could have NBC, CBS, Peacock, ABC divisions.

Instead of an elimination play-off choose the championship teams on merit projected TV advertising revenue.

Love the idea of a Brawndo division. It's what college football fans crave.

I’m talking about modern times.

No chance we have a single bagman now.

No rich person cares about Gopher football
I would be shocked if Bleed isn't far more tuned into what does and does not go on considering your track record of predictions around here.

Recognizing athletes as employees would instantly torpedo most (beyond the ESPN/FOX blue bloods) college athletic program balance sheets
Why?

Every single operating four year college and university in the country employs students for various jobs, and all survive so far.

Implying minimum wage is not correct. They may not meet full time hours.

At a minimum, all varsity college athletics can revert to a DIII ethos:

- you are students. Period. Full stop.
- you have simply chosen to volunteer your extra time to be on a team with the school’s name on the uniform
- you will receive no benefit for this, period. Full stop.
- we will pay the coaching staff, support staff, and own and maintain a facilities and equipment. We will purchase hazard insurance to pay medical for any injuries you sustain during competition. We pay travel.
- that’s it. Take it or leave it.

Why?

Every single operating four year college and university in the country employs students for various jobs, and all survive so far.

Implying minimum wage is not correct. They may not meet full time hours.

I doubt if athletes are reclassified as employees the law would look kindly on the current NCAA charade of allowing meetings, required travel, games and pseudo-voluntary workouts to be “non-countable hours”. New meaning to “business trips”.

Even if athletes can‘t prove their employer requires them to work eg 2080 hours per year they might exceed overtime during the season which would trigger higher rates and arrive at a similar number. Add in scholarships, benefits, retirement, holiday parties, and it could get ugly. I see Minneapolis has a minimum hourly wage of $15 and change indexed to inflation? Purely for sake of argument a department like MN would be paying over $20M in wages to students if they meet their claimed in-season 40-50+ hour workload number before adding in the $millions in scholarship costs, benefits, retirement chip-in. That’s before the wage inflation spiral begins as departments compete for players. Headhunting costs, attorney costs. I suppose the sky is the limit.

Perhaps the tax exemption of the department would go away as it becomes a true business. I’d like to see that. That might hurt.

Top Bottom