U of M to get heating coils under TCF Stadium field. Vikings to pay for it

supadupafly

Reaction score
Well played by the U of M on this issue. Getting that heating coil update (although not really necessary for the college football season span) and getting the Vikings to pay for it. Since it will mostly benefit them considering when the NFL plays its games.

THIS is why it was smart on the part of the U of M to not install them in the first place. a WIN/WIN for the U.

Hopefully the whole concessions experience will improve as well.

More important than heating coils under the field Gopher fans will be getting radiant heating in the main concourse paid for by the Vikings.

More important than heating coils under the field Gopher fans will be getting radiant heating in the main concourse paid for by the Vikings.

And with coach Kill hopefully lighting a fire under the team, it should be plenty warm at TCF.

It sounds like were all but guaranteed that our chili will be hot!!!

personally, i am not a fan of those things. all they do is entice some people to stand up in the concourses instead of staying in their actual seat. so it just clogs up everything in the concourses.

see target field for the unintended consequences of them. early in the season and late in the season you have a bunch of cold-babies standing in the way in the concourses, blocking stairway entrances/exits and just mucking everything up unnecessarily.

i for one hope they don't install those radiant heating deals at TCF stadium. we don't need to sterilize the hell out of the thing.

I hope they put a bunch of those radiant heaters in the new beer garden. People will put down big $ to drink cold beer while staying warm which in turns means more revenue for the U of M.

Go Gophers!

Yup. Love it. And I, too, haven't had an issue with concessions after the first year (which should be expected).

Radiant heating: If you're cold, dress appropriately. People who are surprised at the temperature who live in Minnesota and know that they are going to an outdoor game get no sympathy. Put on the Carhartt bibs and you're fine. Actually, you're probably too warm. If the Vikings are paying for it, great, but I didn't think it was a problem.

Heating coils: Again that's great if the Vikings are paying for them, but I still maintain that professional football players whining about concussion-related issues from a frozen field is like a crack cocaine addict whining about burning himself due to the temperature of his glass pipe.

Concessions: I liked them and didn't have a problem in the couple of games I've been able to go to at TCF.

Heating coils: Again that's great if the Vikings are paying for them, but I still maintain that professional football players whining about concussion-related issues from a frozen field is like a crack cocaine addict whining about burning himself due to the temperature of his glass pipe.

Concessions: I liked them and didn't have a problem in the couple of games I've been able to go to at TCF.

The heating coils aren't there to prevent concussions, they are there to prevent broken ankles, torn acl's, etc., There is no way the Vikings can play into January outside without them. Receivers, running backs, and probably defensive backs would really be at greater risk for injury.

There has never been a professional football game played outside in cold weather in Minnesota without coils other than the game played at TCF stadium and the weather was not that cold that night.

There has never been a professional football game played outside in cold weather in Minnesota without coils other than the game played at TCF stadium and the weather was not that cold that night.

Huh? You do realize where the Vikings first played?

How many games would the Gophers actually need to turn on heating coils for? Maybe one - the last game of the year in Oct. Kind of useless.

How many games would the Gophers actually need to turn on hearing coils for? Maybe one - the last game of the year in Oct. Kind of useless.

If someone else is paying for it, take it.

If the U is hoping to showcase TCF when the Vikings play there in December, why not have an ideal playing surface. It's all good.

Ummm.... what?

Just from a quick and easy google search, the following NFL games were played at Minnesota:

Dec 3, 1972: -2 degrees, -26 wind chill
Dec 10, 1972: 0, -18
Dec 5, 1970: 9, -30

Well played by the U of M on this issue. Getting that heating coil update (although not really necessary for the college football season span) and getting the Vikings to pay for it. Since it will mostly benefit them considering when the NFL plays its games.

THIS is why it was smart on the part of the U of M to not install them in the first place. a WIN/WIN for the U.

You are reaching in a major way. There was no conspiracy theory to intentionally leave out some necessary product only to have the Vikes add it on 8 years later. Stupid.

Its not really necessary for the Gophers regardless, so who cares?

The heating coils aren't there to prevent concussions, they are there to prevent broken ankles, torn acl's, etc., There is no way the Vikings can play into January outside without them. Receivers, running backs, and probably defensive backs would really be at greater risk for injury.

As others have stated, the Vikings played outside for well over a decade without heating coils.

It's preferable to have them, but let's be realistic. They are a relatively recent phenomenon and many, many cold NFL games were played without them.

It wasn't just no heating coils!

As others have stated, the Vikings played outside for well over a decade without heating coils.

It's preferable to have them, but let's be realistic. They are a relatively recent phenomenon and many, many cold NFL games were played without them.

There also wasn't any heaters or heated seated for the Viking players. The visiting players had them but Bud Grant wouldn't allow them for his players. He felt that they were a distraction and he wanted his players focused on the game, not keeping warm. I think it came from his days of playing and coaching professional football in Canada. But dam it worked for him! Talk about home field advantage!

My favorite game was the playoff game in December against the L.A. Rams. I was there and remember that they actually extended half time so players could warm up a little longer. When the Vikings finally came out, the fans gave them a roaring ovation which inspired the team to come from behind and beat a very good Ram's team. That game said to the rest of the league you don't want to go to Minnesota in December. Both the fans and the players had to be mentally tough and thus bonded with each other. It is a lot like what Green Bay experiences now. You could tell who the wimpy fans were because they would go to the bath rooms to warm up. But I digress; I suspect a lot of you don't remember the "good old days".

There also wasn't any heaters or heated seated for the Viking players. The visiting players had them but Bud Grant wouldn't allow them for his players. He felt that they were a distraction and he wanted his players focused on the game, not keeping warm. I think it came from his days of playing and coaching professional football in Canada. But dam it worked for him! Talk about home field advantage!

My favorite game was the playoff game in December against the L.A. Rams. I was there and remember that they actually extended half time so players could warm up a little longer. When the Vikings finally came out, the fans gave them a roaring ovation which inspired the team to come from behind and beat a very good Ram's team. That game said to the rest of the league you don't want to go to Minnesota in December. Both the fans and the players had to be mentally tough and thus bonded with each other. It is a lot like what Green Bay experiences now. You could tell who the wimpy fans were because they would got to the bath rooms to warm up. But I digress; I suspect a lot of you don't remember the "good old days".

I remember it well. The home games were all blacked out in TC area and also Alex. A bunch of us and our fathers watched the game at the Fergus Fall Elks Club, that opened just for the Alex members.

One of the guys with us was from LA. I still remember him throwing his eye glasses across the room. That was fun.

All together, how much money are the Gophers making off the Vikings playing in TCF? I hope you soak them for everything you can. Will they add seats for their games (temporary or permanent)?

All together, how much money are the Gophers making off the Vikings playing in TCF? I hope you soak them for everything you can. Will they add seats for their games (temporary or permanent)?

I think I heard around $3 million per season, they will add temporary bleachers in the open end of the stadium (I think).

Modern pro players can not take the cold anymore, they would all want to leave after they became free agents if they played like the old teams did in the cold!

You people do realize Iowa installed heating coils at Kinnick Stadium about 2 or 3 years ago. After about two weeks of fall practice they decided to remove them because the Hawkeyes were constantly tripping over them.

Top Bottom