Tyrone Carter

Can he teach? Maybe he wouldn't have been a good head coach, but a position coach or DC? Again maybe? This is of course all speculation.
Position coach's need to be able to control their impulses on twitter too ;)

This is another example of how fans only care about players in relation to what they do to help their favorite team win, even guys like TC who did more for this program on the field than almost any other player of the past 30 years. This is why players should never buy into the fan rhetoric of loyalty. Most of the people in the stands don’t really care a lick about you.

I now know of two people who need professional help.

Tyrone is probably good at teaching football skills, and a good motivator, but position coaches work for a head coach. Tyrone does all the talking. Any input goes in one ear and out the other. It just wouldn’t work, which is probably why he doesn’t have a coaching job. Has he tried to volunteer as a high school coach? That would be a good place to start.

He was walking off the field after the State Championship with Suggs after Roccori beat his team with 4 division 1 players. I believe he means well, but I think his actions are a combination of everybody's comments. He knows how to bring attention to himself and gets people to react. You have to give him credit for his football achievements while being a midget, he looks like he is about 5 foot 7". He makes up for his size with intensity. I am sure he has had several concussions. He is entertaining, but if you watch what he says and does with his inner city boys I am surprised they allow him on TV.

He was walking off the field after the State Championship with Suggs after Roccori beat his team with 4 division 1 players. I believe he means well, but I think his actions are a combination of everybody's comments. He knows how to bring attention to himself and gets people to react. You have to give him credit for his football achievements while being a midget, he looks like he is about 5 foot 7". He makes up for his size with intensity. I am sure he has had several concussions. He is entertaining, but if you watch what he says and does with his inner city boys I am surprised they allow him on TV.

Yeah that aspect in particular is a problem with Twitter (and social media in general).

Being outlandish, absurd, or just an asshole is rewarded with attention. Not being those things means no rewards generally.

This is another example of how fans only care about players in relation to what they do to help their favorite team win, even guys like TC who did more for this program on the field than almost any other player of the past 30 years. This is why players should never buy into the fan rhetoric of loyalty. Most of the people in the stands don’t really care a lick about you.
This is what Mr. Foxworth was alluding to. There is a level of disconnect among some fans. It is kind of weird, but I do know that there are many that are connected that do care.

I got to meet L. Maroney a couple of times over the years and then Caputo and Maroney together at a game a couple of years ago. (great guys, shared some honest stuff with me) I also met a few basketball players from the Clem era playing pickup BB over the years. (Walton, Bond, Woods, Green, ect) I met a few other players over the years from the Mason era in the "scoreboard" end of the stadium as that is where a lot of the former athletes, and not just football, hang out.(lots of pretty WM track, VB types-corner by Veterans Plaza) I try to buy them all some beers when I can.

There is no disconnect for me, I am always trying to just meet the players, and maybe connect a bit on a personal level and learn something about where they are now. If they toss out a tidbit of inside stuff from the "old days" that is always welcome, but I value these ex athletes on a 1 on 1 level not what they did for the Gophers. If the guy that got run over in the 14 to 83 Nebraska game wanted to step up, I would have been thrilled to ask him about the Joe Salem era. Just fun on the rare home game day when i get to have a beer with a former player.

Last edited:

I told Cupitio and Maroney that I was at the Tulsa game in 94 degree heat, and drove 800 miles to get there, when Maroney ran for two 80 plus yard TD and they were both somewhat surprised that any Gopher fan would go to Tulsa to see them in late August.

When I told Cupito that I want to Cleveland/Kent State the next year to see Mason's last team crush Kent State (and randomly had beers with his mom) he was just shocked that any Gopher fan would do that. He stated that Gary Russell getting declared ineligible ruined that year and Mason's career. Fun trip to Cleveland for me... saw Wisconsin- BGSU the next night at Browns Stadium.

With the unrest happening again around the Twin Cities I thought of TC. He was pretty vocal and many, including myself, thought he was running pretty hot to the point where it was scary. I noticed he is now off of Twitter and I haven't heard anything about him. Does anyone know where he is or if he is doing ok?

If my speculation was correct... I hope he is getting the help I think he needed.

With the unrest happening again around the Twin Cities I thought of TC. He was pretty vocal and many, including myself, thought he was running pretty hot to the point where it was scary. I noticed he is now off of Twitter and I haven't heard anything about him. Does anyone know where he is or if he is doing ok?

If my speculation was correct... I hope he is getting the help I think he needed.
Even before this thread he was very unpredictable.

Things that might trigger a flurry of tweets ... didn't, and then some thing or who knows what would.

Hopefully he found a better way to manage things, but hard to know.

Much like my kids and their kids and their friends, they would not count any titles not won on the field and only by vote.Look at how many football titles Princeton won, sometimes by being 1-1 or having less than three games. Some will argue to count all of the ones that did not exclude minorities, some count them all. Tyrone has his own life journey.
Your kids... kids?

maybe apologise for loose morals on all sides?
The U players weren't owed an apology because they had a gang bang, They were owed an apology because they were dragged through the dirt by the University and the media for doing something that is not illegal and therefore none of our business.

Those players lives could have been ruined but the University capitulated the screaming purple hairs instead of what was right. For that, the U should have apologized to them.

Yall act like its not possible for TC, an alum who is also very well connected amongst local athletes and who probably knows more about the ins and outs of our program and D1 FB in general to have different insight into things than the average message board fan. Especially when he’s discussing issues pertaining to black players, I find it interesting that so many posters (most of who Id assume are white) are writing him off as crazy without the knowledge behind it. Seems like an ironic microcosm of our society...
TC was as you say. Still is connected but he has burned a couple bridges at the U. He can say what he wants when he wants like the rest of us and if people do not like it then they do not have to listen. He is a Gopher legend and that cannot be anything else but that for me.

If I were P.J., and this is just a suggestion and yes, I'm white, but I'd put together a discussion group, or call it something else if you like, and pull together some alumni, both black and white. I have a LOT of very good friends who played for the Gophers back in my day (1967 to 1971) and I think that they feel their voices are not being heard. I don't want to speak for them, but if they were invited to participate in such a group and also mingle it with current athletes, I can't help but think the outcome would be positive, at least I'd hope so. I know TC has issues, and they need to be addressed, not covered up by the U. I still think that deep down, TC would love to be a part of this and be able to vent some of his feelings in front of the right people, as long as both sides of the issues can maintain open minds. Again, I don't want to speak for him because I cannot possibly relate to what he is feeling, I have not gone through what he has gone through, I'm of a different race, all sorts of things which could be viewed as roadblocks or barriers. We all need to start breaking down these barriers.

I told Cupitio and Maroney that I was at the Tulsa game in 94 degree heat, and drove 800 miles to get there, when Maroney ran for two 80 plus yard TD and they were both somewhat surprised that any Gopher fan would go to Tulsa to see them in late August.

When I told Cupito that I want to Cleveland/Kent State the next year to see Mason's last team crush Kent State (and randomly had beers with his mom) he was just shocked that any Gopher fan would do that. He stated that Gary Russell getting declared ineligible ruined that year and Mason's career. Fun trip to Cleveland for me... saw Wisconsin- BGSU the next night at Browns Stadium.
Stayed up late to watch that MN Tulsa game on television (nationally televised on espn2)

One of the best starts to a game that a RB has ever had. Ran for over essentially 160 yards on just 8 carries. Legitimately looked like a video game.

If I were P.J., and this is just a suggestion and yes, I'm white, but I'd put together a discussion group, or call it something else if you like, and pull together some alumni, both black and white. I have a LOT of very good friends who played for the Gophers back in my day (1967 to 1971) and I think that they feel their voices are not being heard. I don't want to speak for them, but if they were invited to participate in such a group and also mingle it with current athletes, I can't help but think the outcome would be positive, at least I'd hope so. I know TC has issues, and they need to be addressed, not covered up by the U. I still think that deep down, TC would love to be a part of this and be able to vent some of his feelings in front of the right people, as long as both sides of the issues can maintain open minds. Again, I don't want to speak for him because I cannot possibly relate to what he is feeling, I have not gone through what he has gone through, I'm of a different race, all sorts of things which could be viewed as roadblocks or barriers. We all need to start breaking down these barriers.
So, Fleck is responsible for putting together a therapy session to help Tyrone Carter?

It looks like he is not off of Twitter by choice but that his account was suspended.

Top Bottom