TWO DEEPS. . . .

I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor Mayes get some pt

I really hope not. I think our OL is in great shape right now. I'd MUCH rather have Connor as a R-Sr than potentially making minimal contributions on an already loaded OL in 2014.

Being that actually knowing a lot is not required for this discussion, I will contribute.
We are a lot older at Dback than I remembered us being. We will have to take a couple of Jucos next season, but I think that means McGhee plays quite a bit for sure. He needs the experience for 2015, and so will any dbacks we get this season.
I do not believe Legania will be second team, his playing strength is strength, not speed, it does not fit the system especially when he is not that big. If he was going to play as a senior, he would have played a lot more the last two years. Hinojosa, Timms, Peppers will pay more.
I am worried about Bak and I have no more information than anyone else, but I don't like the signs with a single concussion knocks a kid out for months. Losing Bak really hurt the running game. I could see Campion moving to guard, he is built like a guard and is a mauler. Since they think Pirsig is going to be really good, letting him taking over at RT seems very possible. If he is going to be good he needs to play a lot more this season.
If Christenson can come back I expect Bobek to be the back up at center, if not I expect Bobek to be the starter.

Yeah, our DB situation is a product of us not being able to RS any of these guys. It seems like you blink your eyes and their JRs (if they don't RS). It's part of the reason this class needs another DB or two.

Legania. . .the only reason that I thought he might see more PT is that we will have an issue of strength along our DL (an issue we didn't have last season with Hageman and even Johnson played strong). I thought with a bunch of smaller/quicker DTs, his size/strength might be needed at times.

One question that I have is last year I saw at least one of the McAvoy twins get some playing time on O-line for a handful of snaps. Are they just situational type fill ins or do either one of them have a chance to break the two deeps?

I'm curious about Jon Christenson as well. I fear that the injury was similar to Mottla's. The Oline should be really good this year regardless, but I hope JC is able to see the field again.

QB is the biggest question mark for me as well. If "Moose" can protect the ball and make good decisions this offense could be top 5 in the conference.

This is a very young offense again. I'm not as worried about QB as most. If we run the ball consistently and move the yard markers, we will have a very successful season and the defense will be very thankful. We are so much better at WO too, but so very young.

Im very concerned about the QB position. If I was the opposing defense I'd play one on one coverage all the time against the gophers and just load the box, all we need is a QB that can make the routine throws which we could barely do last year. I think we all realized after this pass year that when our run game wasn't doing anything we didn't really have the option of throwing the ball. If we get a passing game this year that will open up the running game.

Im very concerned about the QB position. If I was the opposing defense I'd play one on one coverage all the time against the gophers and just load the box, all we need is a QB that can make the routine throws which we could barely do last year. I think we all realized after this pass year that when our run game wasn't doing anything we didn't really have the option of throwing the ball. If we get a passing game this year that will open up the running game.

And what do you think will happen to your defensive scenario with play action pass to our huge receivers in one on one or screen pass or reverse or...

6 points.

My only concern with Leidner is staying healthy. That is my concern for every player.

I see what you did there...

I'm curious about Jon Christenson as well. I fear that the injury was similar to Mottla's. The Oline should be really good this year regardless, but I hope JC is able to see the field again.

QB is the biggest question mark for me as well. If "Moose" can protect the ball and make good decisions this offense could be top 5 in the conference.

Jon's recovery is ahead of schedule and his prognosis appears good. He'll miss spring camp but expect to see him this fall. Same break. Different surgeon. Different outcome.

I'm not being negative I just believe if we have a decent passer are offense would be better off, right now are passing game isn't where it needs to be. I think if we had a passing game the bowl game against syracuse would of been very different.

I'm just putting together a quick list of the two deeps. It's amazing how much easier this is now than a couple of seasons ago. I'm obviously going to make a couple of guesses at a few of the spots, so feel free to critique.

QB: Leidner (SO)/ Streveler (FR)
RB: Cobb (SR) / B. Edwards (FR)
H-Back: Thomas (JR) / Hartmann (SO)
WR: D. Jones (SO) / Hutton (SR)
WR: Wolitarsky (SO)/ Fruechte (SR)
Slot: Maye (JR) / Carter (FR)
TE(blocker): Goodger (SR)/ Plsek (JR)
TE: M. Williams (SO)/ Wozniak (FR)
LT: Lauer (SO) / Pirsig (SO)
LG: Bak (SR)/ Hayes (SO)
C: Olson (SR) / Christenson (JR)
RG: Epping (SR) / Bush (JR)
RT: Campion (JR) / Mayes (FR)

DE: Keith (JR) / Amaefula (SR)
DT: Botticelli (SR)/ Legania (SR)
DT: Ekpe (JR)/ Timms (SO)
DE: Cockran (JR) / H. Ekpe (SO)
OLB: Campbell (JR) / Rallis (SO)
MLB: Wilson (SR) / Lynn (SO)
OLB: Laster (FR) / Poock (SO)
CB: Murray (JR) / Boddy-Calhoun (JR)
CB: Wells (SR) / Myrick (SO)
S: Thompson (SR) / Levine (SR)
S: Johnson (JR) / Travis (JR)

There are obviously areas where true FR will break into the depth chart. If we sign Jeff Jones, he will play right away. I wouldn't be shocked to see Streveler move to WR (if one of the QBs really impresses)
Who is Thomas at H-back? I don't see him on the roster.

I really hope not. I think our OL is in great shape right now. I'd MUCH rather have Connor as a R-Sr than potentially making minimal contributions on an already loaded OL in 2014.

i agree, same for goes Stelter, Richardson and Moore. The only guys i want to not Redshirt are Jeff, Melvin holland, one of either Connor K or Gentry or neither if that is possible, and the 2 JC Fullbacks, no one else.

Really glad to hear about Jon C doing well, absolutely great kid, and a good FB player. I expect him to have a tremendously successful life.

I'm not being negative I just believe if we have a decent passer are offense would be better off, right now are passing game isn't where it needs to be. I think if we had a passing game the bowl game against syracuse would of been very different.
This is obviously opinion only, but we moved the ball prett well when they let Leidner throw against Syracuse. We just wasted three quarters trying to shove the ball down their throat against a good defense that was stacked against the run.
Leidner has a strong arm and seems to have a better disposition for QB than Nelson, but he has a long way to go to read coverages well
and not throw into double or triple coverage.

Top Bottom