TWO DEEPS. . . .

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I'm just putting together a quick list of the two deeps. It's amazing how much easier this is now than a couple of seasons ago. I'm obviously going to make a couple of guesses at a few of the spots, so feel free to critique.

QB: Leidner (SO)/ Streveler (FR)
RB: Cobb (SR) / B. Edwards (FR)
H-Back: Thomas (JR) / Hartmann (SO)
WR: D. Jones (SO) / Hutton (SR)
WR: Wolitarsky (SO)/ Fruechte (SR)
Slot: Maye (JR) / Carter (FR)
TE(blocker): Goodger (SR)/ Plsek (JR)
TE: M. Williams (SO)/ Wozniak (FR)
LT: Lauer (SO) / Pirsig (SO)
LG: Bak (SR)/ Hayes (SO)
C: Olson (SR) / Christenson (JR)
RG: Epping (SR) / Bush (JR)
RT: Campion (JR) / Mayes (FR)

DE: Keith (JR) / Amaefula (SR)
DT: Botticelli (SR)/ Legania (SR)
DT: Ekpe (JR)/ Timms (SO)
DE: Cockran (JR) / H. Ekpe (SO)
OLB: Campbell (JR) / Rallis (SO)
MLB: Wilson (SR) / Lynn (SO)
OLB: Laster (FR) / Poock (SO)
CB: Murray (JR) / Boddy-Calhoun (JR)
CB: Wells (SR) / Myrick (SO)
S: Thompson (SR) / Levine (SR)
S: Johnson (JR) / Travis (JR)

There are obviously areas where true FR will break into the depth chart. If we sign Jeff Jones, he will play right away. I wouldn't be shocked to see Streveler move to WR (if one of the QBs really impresses)

Curious as to why you flipped Bak to LG and Epping to right. Looking at that secondary, assuming they're all healthy, that's about as solid as it gets.

Thanks Bob - this is super helpful! I would still have Kirkwood on the 2-deeps, I think Berkley Edwards will definitely get some touches but more as a change-of-pace, at least in the beginning. I also hope we see plenty Eric Carter this season, I am excited about his potential in the slot. On defense, I agree with everything but hope Poock can come in and make an impact right away

Here's the cool part to me. You read through that and all those guys are known. Doesn't count for the surprises like Bob said but
the composite conclusion is wow! we are better! Then you add the red shirts and freshman and you got competition everyday!

Nice to finally see a good weighting of srs and jrs, especially in the oline!

Where does Bobek fit in with the OL? Assuming he is healthy he will get a significant number of snaps.

If either Bobek or Christanson is healthy I think Tommy Olson ends up back on the bench. I think Hank Ekpe takes the starting right end from Ameafula. I like that you have Timms in the two deep. He looked huge on sideline at the bowl game.

Pirsig backs up Campion, did last year.

What about a senario where Pirsig plays RT and Campion slides in at RG? That gives the Gophers bookend 6ft7 Offensive tackles. How is Pirsig's health?

Curious as to why you flipped Bak to LG and Epping to right. Looking at that secondary, assuming they're all healthy, that's about as solid as it gets.

No reason, I actually forgot which one played on which side.

Pirsig backs up Campion, did last year.

Yeah, I put Pirsig by Lauer because I think he'll see a lot of PT but that he'll substitute in for Lauer on occasion. I don't think Campion is coming out unless he's injured.

Boy, looking at those 2 deeps, it is pretty tough to deny that we are definitely moving in the right direction. I am jacked for the season, and it isn't even signing day yet.

Do we know Alex Mayes is a Tackle?

Christenson starts at center if he's healthy. Cockran will have one DE spot locked down, but not sure about the other. Could be Amaefula, Keith, or H. Ekpe. I think 1-2 of this year's WR recruits crack the 2-deep by the end of the year. I think McGhee gets some time at safety and ends up in the 2-deeps.

I'm excited to see Laster, that would be awesome if he was starting day 1. I also think Richardson sees some time at DT.

What about a senario where Pirsig plays RT and Campion slides in at RG? That gives the Gophers bookend 6ft7 Offensive tackles. How is Pirsig's health?

Anything is possible but the team tried Campion at guard early on and it didn't work. Guard is neither his natural nor preferred position: center and tackle are. Also, it is not so much about size as it is about execution. Bak and Epping are the shortest of the starting five but had the #1 and #2 position grade avg respectively for 2013. The coaches aren't going to mess with that just because someone else is bigger. Regards.

And we sit Bak, a guy who was Honorable Mention All-B1G and will be a r-Sr?

That line-up looks solid. Success hinges on the QB play IMO.

If Campion plays like an All B1G caliber player this year, does he declare for the NFL draft? I ask this because he is currently 24 years old (Birthday is in December). If he stays in 2015 he would be 26 entering the 2016 NFL draft.

RB- Edwards will get situational snaps, but I think it's overly optimistic to leap frog him over Kirkwood & Williams, both of whom are more experienced.

WR- I expect Holland will be a factor as a Freshman. Not expecting much out of the other incoming WR's this year, but I think Holland has the body to play right away.

OL-

LT- Lauer/Lenk (I think Lenk as a 5th year Sr. could realistically win the starting job & will undoubtedly be a contributor here regardless.).
LG- Epping/Bjorklund (Hayes is also in play here)
C- Christenson/Olson (Bobek could be in the mix, especially if Christenson is not ready to go)
RG- Bak/Bush (Hayes again in play)
RT- Campion/Pirsig

DT- I'd love to put Hal Legania in there but I'll believe it when I see it. I think Hinojosa will be in the 2 deeps. Peppers maybe? Possibly even one of Richardson or Moore by seasons end.

RB- Edwards will get situational snaps, but I think it's overly optimistic to leap frog him over Kirkwood & Williams, both of whom are more experienced.

WR- I expect Holland will be a factor as a Freshman. Not expecting much out of the other incoming WR's this year, but I think Holland has the body to play right away.

OL-

LT- Lauer/Lenk (I think Lenk as a 5th year Sr. could realistically win the starting job & will undoubtedly be a contributor here regardless.).
LG- Epping/Bjorklund (Hayes is also in play here)
C- Christenson/Olson (Bobek could be in the mix, especially if Christenson is not ready to go)
RG- Bak/Bush (Hayes again in play)
RT- Campion/Pirsig

DT- I'd love to put Hal Legania in there but I'll believe it when I see it. I think Hinojosa will be in the 2 deeps. Peppers maybe? Possibly even one of Richardson or Moore by seasons end.

Yep, these are all absolute possibilities. In fact, some of them I had and deleted. I put Edwards instead of Kirkwood and Williams because I am certain the staff will find a way to get Edwards a couple touches this year. I think with Jones and Cobb, it will be a battle between Williams and Kirkwood for more of the short yardage stuff. So instead of trying to decide who would win that battle, I defaulted to Edwards. But you're 100% right, any of those guys could get a lot of touches.

WR: Yep. Holland will get a lot of run, I just didn't add any true freshman before signing day, I don't want to jinx anything.

As far as the OL, you absolutely have a point with Lenk, Bjorklund, and Christenson. Nothing would surprise me in terms of our backup OL. I rolled with Tommy Olson because he's healthy and he's been able to work on his game all offseason while Christenson has been recovering. I also really liked the way Olson played after Christenson went down. However, either player wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know anything about Bobek. I hope for the best for him but I will consider anything he brings to be a bonus. I hope he is healthy and can live up to his potential.

DT: That's another position where I was left guessing. Richardson looks really impressive and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get into the 2 deeps. His style reminds me a lot of Roland Johnson and that kind of energy at the DT would be nice.

If Campion plays like an All B1G caliber player this year, does he declare for the NFL draft? I ask this because he is currently 24 years old (Birthday is in December). If he stays in 2015 he would be 26 entering the 2016 NFL draft.

It's a good question but I don't think so. I think Campion will need to have a good couple of seasons to be an NFL caliber player and while he might lose some stock because of his age, I think he'll gain more with having a couple good seasons.

It's a good question but I don't think so. I think Campion will need to have a good couple of seasons to be an NFL caliber player and while he might lose some stock because of his age, I think he'll gain more with having a couple good seasons.

Saluki had a good question, one I had to think about for a minute. My conclusion is, if we have to replace Campion after next year because he played so well that he's off the the NFL, it'll be a good thing. We just plug Pirsig as a r-Jr (Or A. Mayes as a r-So?).

Good question, but I would categorize it as a high class problem. Also, according to Gophersports.com Josh is 23, born in December 1990.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor Mayes get some pt

I don't think Lenkiewicz plays much if at all. It's nothing against him personally, as he's a good guy and a hell of a player, he just has trouble keeping enough weight on to compete at the Big Ten level. If he figures that out between now and September he'll be in the rotation and maybe even start. It just seems that if he could do it he would've figured out how by now.

Campion is a good solid college lineman, but we have no concerns about him leaving early for the NFL. He's just not good enough to do that. That's no knock against him - something like 95% of Division I-A players aren't good enough to play in the NFL.

Being that actually knowing a lot is not required for this discussion, I will contribute.
We are a lot older at Dback than I remembered us being. We will have to take a couple of Jucos next season, but I think that means McGhee plays quite a bit for sure. He needs the experience for 2015, and so will any dbacks we get this season.
I do not believe Legania will be second team, his playing strength is strength, not speed, it does not fit the system especially when he is not that big. If he was going to play as a senior, he would have played a lot more the last two years. Hinojosa, Timms, Peppers will pay more.
I am worried about Bak and I have no more information than anyone else, but I don't like the signs with a single concussion knocks a kid out for months. Losing Bak really hurt the running game. I could see Campion moving to guard, he is built like a guard and is a mauler. Since they think Pirsig is going to be really good, letting him taking over at RT seems very possible. If he is going to be good he needs to play a lot more this season.
If Christenson can come back I expect Bobek to be the back up at center, if not I expect Bobek to be the starter.

Top Bottom