Tubby is out...who will be the next coach?

Wait a minute...it can't be Grant...They are still playing in the NIT....Back to Shaka or Flip...

People on twitter know Tubby Smith's name and haven't looked at his record here at MN. Tubby is a good guy and he has always done things the right away, he is going to have a lot of friends in basketball circles. I wish it could have worked here with Tubby, he is a likeable guy and a genuine good guy in college basketball. However, it didn't work here.

As far as Taylor, I would prefer our new coach to just have complete control of the program. If he wants to keep Taylor on, I'm cool with it. If not, I see no reason in having our program make decisions based on these three HS juniors (as impressive as they are).
I mean more for Taylor to stick around if we are going to take some time with determining the coach and then the new coach would determine his staff himself and could either keep Taylor or decide to go a different way.

Shaka is a bad move ... Hopefully they are not that stupid! Hope they do not raise student fees to pay for their decision to throw millions of dollars out the window. I say it is FLIP

Shaka is a bad move ... Hopefully they are not that stupid! Hope they do not raise student fees to pay for their decision to throw millions of dollars out the window. I say it is FLIP

Student fees don't pay for the Athletic Department at Minnesota.

Hold on here.

Don't we have to hire a consulting firm and also take the time for some due diligence before announcing a 20 member search committee?

Have a good day Joel!

Somewhere Joel is organizing a search committee out of habit and is on the phone with Dave Mona as we speak.

Tubby was also fighting cancer for awhile, patients will never admit it but it takes a toll and requires a fair amount of energy to fight it off, I can't imagine a CEO staying on the job while doing that which is essentially what Tubby did.

It is time for a change, I wish him well.

yeah, I said this myself a long while back. If you look at Tubby's timeline at Minnesota, all his issues with players/transfers cropped up around the time he was dealing with prostate cancer (unbeknownst to us outsiders at the time). I think his inability to focus on team issues and handle them during that unfortunate period cascaded issues to where we sit now.

That said, I agree it was time for a change. The national media will blanch and make the U out to look foolish, but reality was that Tubby's inability to win in the Big Ten rightly cost him his job.

Could SuperSmitty be the anonymous poster who got the anti Tubby thread going a few weeks ago?

Somewhere Joel is organizing a search committee out of habit and is on the phone with Dave Mona as we speak.

He and Tom Wistrcill didn't need any help in hiring Tubby. The whole behind the scenes process they went through to get him here was pretty interesting to hear.

Interesting that they have someone on a verbal already. That must mean he was probably going to be fired no matter what happened in the tournament.

Could SuperSmitty be the anonymous poster who got the anti Tubby thread going a few weeks ago?

I'm sure it is, similar writing styles (not trying to sound like an old guy ripping on today's youth).

It's Brandon Smith, was kind of a headache while he was here. He was suspended twice (once for academics and once for team rules) and he left during his SO or JR season.

Interesting that they have someone on a verbal already. That must mean he was probably going to be fired no matter what happened in the tournament.

It would also mean that Norwood was rather conflicted about the outcome of yesterday's game.

I think you're used to having a terrible AD. Teague easily could have made some phone calls and said "hypothetically, if we offered X amount of money for X amount of years on March 25th, how interested would you be?"

Maturi would have hired someone by June, but good programs move FAST.

Very good point! I wonder if the handshake deal was dependent on Gophers loss to Florida?

Just a quick note to try and bring some perspective to the conversation. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and speculation like this is a lot of fun, but chances are very good that the next coach will be someone who is NOT on our collective "radar".

Just look at the last 3 big hires. Speculation ran rampant and many names were thrown around, but: No one saw us hiring Brewster. No one saw us hiring Tubby Smith. No one saw us hiring Jerry Kill.

Not necessarily. Norwood, "hey, if they lose to Florida, are you my man?"

It would also mean that Norwood was rather conflicted about the outcome of yesterday's game.

Not really. Could mean that he was conflicted or that maybe he's had this arrangement in place for a while now.

I think you're used to having a terrible AD. Teague easily could have made some phone calls and said "hypothetically, if we offered X amount of money for X amount of years on March 25th, how interested would you be?"

Maturi would have hired someone by June, but good programs move FAST.

I think that is the case. I think he was planning on canning Tubby unless they made some sort of incredible run (probably elite 8 or final 4) and that he probably had some preliminary conversations with coaches about the position.

No matter how bad a coach is it is PR suicide to fire them after going to the elite 8 or something like that.

Katz weighs in:

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 1m
Not sure I've seen a situation with the two coaches from an NCAA game get fired (UCLA-Minnesota) days after playing.
Expand
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 2m
Saunders has a passion for the college game. I've spent time with him in our green room watching games. He is dialed in.
Expand
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 2m
If I'm Minnesota I don't hesitate to hire our ESPN NBA analyst and former Gopher Flip Saunders. Had the pleasure of getting to know him.

Probably Flip or they hired a coach who did not do any better than Tubby did

Top Bottom