Tubby is out...who will be the next coach?

Tubby's coaching is done unless he goes to a small conference. He should enjoy his retirement.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a name school, gets a bump in energy from the change of scenery like he did here, elevates the team he inherits like he did here and eventually sags in energy and performance like he did here.

Former VCU coach and Villa 7 grad. Would not surprise me. Bama not exactly supportive of hoops.

True. But they do pay him plenty of $$. He already makes more than Tubby and is top 10 nationally. They just shake Nick Saban for loose change.

Originally Posted by Parski1
I bet tubby goes elsewhere and looks good..making MN look stupid with this decision.

I heard the Edina Retirement Home is looking for a REC coach.

If I could chose anybody it would be Brad Stevens but I think he's likely to stay at Butler for his career. I see a lot of people on Twitter saying good luck finding someone better when in reality it may not be that hard. Tubby was horrible at making adjustments, we were horrible on offensive posessions out of timeouts, and many more things, the more I looked at the situatio the more I became fine with them making a change although I'm hoping that the buyout could maybe be adjusted. Whoever is hired needs to meet with the team right away and especially form a good relationship with Andre and Austin and then focus on building a relationship with the big 3 too. Anybody think it would be wise to keep Taylor on staff at least for the time being as he has had the most contact with the big 3?

Based on Damian Johnson's tweets, it seems like Tubby wasn't the most popular coach.

I bet tubby goes elsewhere and looks good..making MN look stupid with this decision.

No kidding. Kentucky lost in the NIT. They still haven't recovered from Tubby's departure.

This makes him much more interesting to me.

I never envisioned Grant as a possibility. I would put Grant slightly ahead of Shaka in order of my preference. He is a great coach. His system is much more similar to Tubby. He doesn't play nearly as fast or wide open as Shaka, but his teams always perform.

I bet you are wrong.

You have to keep in mind though that Tubby backers will point to moderate success at a small school as proof we made the wrong decision. I could see Tubby doing decent at a mid-major. That doesn't mean we made the wrong decision.

Grant is not at the top of my list. The SEC has been weak as heck and he hasn't exactly taken advantage. Not the worse hire. But I won't be thrilled.

I would put Pastner, Smart, Buzz, and a few others ahead of Grant. AG has not done much with the job there, and while athletically gifted, his teams have not done well in a weak SEC.

Eric Musselman = Marc Trestman. Please no.

I CAN'T GET ANY WORK DONE, THIS HIRE BETTER HAPPEN QUICKLY!

If I could chose anybody it would be Brad Stevens but I think he's likely to stay at Butler for his career. I see a lot of people on Twitter saying good luck finding someone better when in reality it may not be that hard. Tubby was horrible at making adjustments, we were horrible on offensive posessions out of timeouts, and many more things, the more I looked at the situatio the more I became fine with them making a change although I'm hoping that the buyout could maybe be adjusted. Whoever is hired needs to meet with the team right away and especially form a good relationship with Andre and Austin and then focus on building a relationship with the big 3 too. Anybody think it would be wise to keep Taylor on staff at least for the time being as he has had the most contact with the big 3?

I think Stevens is even less likely now that Butler have been invited to join the new Big LEast.

The power was in Tubby's hands and he blew it, lack of fire and effort did him in. He wasn't who we thought he was.

Tubby was also fighting cancer for awhile, patients will never admit it but it takes a toll and requires a fair amount of energy to fight it off, I can't imagine a CEO staying on the job while doing that which is essentially what Tubby did.

It is time for a change, I wish him well.

People on twitter know Tubby Smith's name and haven't looked at his record here at MN. Tubby is a good guy and he has always done things the right away, he is going to have a lot of friends in basketball circles. I wish it could have worked here with Tubby, he is a likeable guy and a genuine good guy in college basketball. However, it didn't work here.

As far as Taylor, I would prefer our new coach to just have complete control of the program. If he wants to keep Taylor on, I'm cool with it. If not, I see no reason in having our program make decisions based on these three HS juniors (as impressive as they are).

I think Stevens is even less likely now that Butler have been invited to join the new Big LEast.

Stevens is a great coach, but I couldn't stand to watch that basketball. It's Bo Ryan-esque. We'd probably be really successful, but I don't know if I could sit through a MN - WI matchup with Stevens vs. Bo Ryan (two great coaches but a snooze fest).

Hold on here.

Don't we have to hire a consulting firm and also take the time for some due diligence before announcing a 20 member search committee?

Have a good day Joel!

If it is Grant, are we worried that Grant hasn't built Bama up more in his 4 years there?

Top Bottom