TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

Wish things would have worked out differently but if Joe decides to go another way I would wish him the best and hope he has success as long as that success isn't ever against us.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Might be a similar situation to Max Shortell, and he ends up somewhere much lower than we would expect (Northern Iowa, North Dakota St., etc.)

Wow...so this is what we get when we fire Tubby.....our recruits leave and now we lose Coleman. Program is in great shape...this is BS!

Maybe he can go to your guys squad, mighty Texas Tech!

I gotta think Pitino just didn't see Coleman as a good fit.

Really don't care about him leaving. He's a heck of an athlete but nothing more, can't dribble, can't shoot, and his defense is suspect. It's clear that in this system, you need your guards to all be able to dribble the ball and shoot when they get the chance. Pitino will find someone who fits the system better (Malik Smith). Hope Joe the best in his future!

Maybe he can go to your guys squad, mighty Texas Tech!

I'm sure Tubby among other Big Ten schools will be standing in line for Joe. Pitino better talk him out of it! We will already have one of (Tubby's) former commits playing against us.

1. None of us should speculate on why Coleman is meeting with Pitino, and if he does transfer, we should not speculate on why unless you've spoke to him personally. It could be a number of reasons. Maybe as an 18 year old, he wants to get out of MN and live somewhere else to see what it is like. Maybe he doesn't like the new system. Regardless, the shots at his personality need to stop.
2. How come when a player transfers to MN, this board rationalizes it, but when a player leaves MN, we bash him and say he is a diva. Double standard?
3. Coleman progressed last year, plays strong, and plays solid D, but if he can't develop a better 3pt shot, he just can't spread the floor as much as I speculate Pitino would like from a 2 guard.
4. If he does leave, I hope we lock up Malik and offer Macura tomorrow.

+1

Wow...so this is what we get when we fire Tubby.....our recruits leave and now we lose Coleman. Program is in great shape...this is BS!

Our program is in better shape now that if Coleman had stayed and we had Foster and Ellis.

One year of short term gain is not worth what we will gain 2-3-4 years down the road.

Tubby is a very nice man but he just didn't have the fire anymore. Our new staff does.

I'm sure Tubby among other Big Ten schools will be standing in line for Joe. Pitino better talk him out of it! We will already have one of (Tubby's) former commits playing against us.

Tubby? Sure. Other big ten schools? No.

Other Big Ten schools will not offer Joe. Nice athlete, but can't shoot, turned it over way too much, and didn't play very good D. I don't doubt Alvin Ellis will turn out to be a good player but you seem to have an overinflated view of a lot of Tubby's players/recruits.

I've always loved when fan bases bash coaches and players after they leave.

Dude, seriously. I was a pretty big Tubby supporter too. But give it up already. Please. Joe is a local kid. A legacy recruit. This is system is a good fit for his talent. I'm not going to bash him, but I don't understand why he's leaving. I seriously doubt it's because he only wanted to play for Tubby.

I can't wait until the season starts and you disappear after every win. Go find yourself a Texas Tech forum, if they even exist.

Probably a pretty good bet that we bring on Malik Smith now, which could actually work out quite nicely for us. Add an experienced senior while also allowing Pitino to have another 2014 scholarship. It also helps evening out the classes a little more since we were going to have 6 seniors after next season.

Dude, seriously. I was a pretty big Tubby supporter too. But give it up already. Please. Joe is a local kid. A legacy recruit. This is system is a good fit for his talent. I'm not going to bash him, but I don't understand why he's leaving. I seriously doubt it's because he only wanted to play for Tubby.

What? Never said that. I'm really pissed he's going....not bashing Joe. He would stay here if Tubby was still here...along with the two commits we just lost.

Not surprising:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Probably a pretty good bet that we bring on Malik Smith now, which could actually work out quite nicely for us. Add an experienced senior while also allowing Pitino to have another 2014 scholarship. It also helps evening out the classes a little more since we were going to have 6 seniors after next season.

Very True seems like Malik is a better shooter then Joe to so could work out better that way to.

Hasn't Doogie been wrong a ton before? Not saying he is this time but wouldn't suprise me either way.

What? Never said that. I'm really pissed he's going....not bashing Joe. He would stay here if Tubby was still here...along with the two commits we just lost.

And the program could be better off because of it. Time to move on maybe?

If Pitino is okay with this, which it sounds like it's mutual from Doogie's last tweet, then Rich better know something that we don't about Malik Smith.

Joe has a lot of athletic talent, but he is a marginal shooter at best. I'm not sure I understand why he doesn't think he would fit into a three guard line-up. He is not big enough to play small forward and if he has aspirations to play pro basketball, it will be as a guard. My biggest concern is how this departure is read by other MN recruits.

I gotta think Pitino just didn't see Coleman as a good fit.

They've been working out with Pitino haven't they, I'm sure Joe has a pretty good idea of what to expect and where he fits and it isn't what he wants, he couldn't afford to stick around and waist a year, he really had to make a decision now.

I've got a feeling this is Richard telling Joe he isn't projected to get the same kind of minutes as prior years... Joe isn't dumb and may have already spoke with friends about expecting to transfer. If you listen to coach speak he constantly talks about having multiple pgs and defensive workhorses all over the court in an attempt to wear you out. Joe is none of these.

While Ill admit I've said the exact opposite before as I truly believe joes strength is a running style offensive game. The more I think of it, Joe does not fit the defensive side of what I expect Gopher basketball to be. I love joe and would rather he stayed than leave. However, my love for joe also wants him to finish his collegiate career with a smile, which for a 20 yr old, might be something difficult to do when your role isn't what you expected it to be.

Top Bottom