TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

Sophomore wing Joe Coleman is expected to meet with Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino about his future with the team on Wednesday.

— Chris Monter (@collegebbnews) May 14, 2013

Quite honestly this doesn't really bother me. I don't know about you guys, but what irritated me most about the tubby era was the lack of character the team possessed. To many guys whining, pouting, and more than anything not playing with any heart. Coleman was a guy who came in here, immediately thought he deserved playing time, and was even vocal in the media when he wasn't playing much his freshmen year. Last year he was a turnover machine, and he shut down many times when me needed him most. Great, he scored 28 or whatever against Ill in an uptempo game. Guess what, any athletic player who can make a layup will yield the exact same results in that pace of play.

The beauty of having a new coach is bringing in a new mind set which the gophers desperately needed. We are supposed to worry about a guy transferring because he doesn't want to compete for his spot on the floor?? Coleman is a Diva and the team will be better off if this is the case.

It is so simple, guys and gals. If the guy will NOT buy in to Coach, then he should transfer. Since when did one guy mean more than the team? I don't get it.

No need to bash the kid. He doesn't want to play for Pitino for whatever reason, and that's his right to leave. Pitino didn't recruit him and he has the choice to leave. Good luck to Joe wherever he lands.

Disappointed to see him go, but it's better to have it happen now than later. Good luck to him where ever he goes. Can't wait to see who Pitino brings into replace him. I'd honestly look at Deuce Bello.

It is so simple, guys and gals. If the guy will NOT buy in to Coach, then he should transfer. Since when did one guy mean more than the team? I don't get it.

Who said this?

No, when did anyone say one guy means more than the team?

It is a continuum, as displayed by all of the kids who transfer from a school. Your question is kind of like "When are you gonna get a letter in the mail?"

It is a continuum, as displayed by all of the kids who transfer from a school. Your question is kind of like "When are you gonna get a letter in the mail?"

I suppose you think no one should ever leave a job either?

I thought Joe would have an interesting battle with Malik Smith if it worked out that way. I would have gave the edge to Malik, being a senior, having played for Richard and because hes more of a handler and outside threat. Makes him a much bigger target for next year if Joe does pack his bags.

I never said anything like that. What kids on scholarship must realize is that there is always someone out there that can take their job on the floor, and it is up to the Coaches to find those types of players. Comfort can be a detriment ya know.

Do we know for sure if this is Joe's idea, or is it Coach Pitino's?

It's just wildly unfair to suggest that the only reason a kid might transfer is because he "found out he's not as good as he thinks" or that he's a "diva" or "thinks he's better than the team". These kids choose schools when they're 18 years old, or younger. They come to play for coaches who are desperately trying to convince them to come- maybe they find out they don't get along well with the coach? Maybe the coach moves on? Maybe they don't like the school itself?

There are dozens of reasons a kid could transfer, including negative ones like the ones above, but it is really unfair to assume that the only way players transfer is if they think they're bigger than the team or something else selfish like that.

It's just wildly unfair to suggest that the only reason a kid might transfer is because he "found out he's not as good as he thinks" or that he's a "diva". These kids choose schools when they're 18 years old, or younger. They come to play for coaches who are desperately trying to convince them to come- maybe they find out they don't get along well with the coach? Maybe the coach moves on? Maybe they don't like the school itself?

There are dozens of reasons a kid could transfer, including negative ones like that, but it is really unfair to assume that the only way players transfer is if they think they're bigger than the team or something else selfish like that.

Completely agree. In this situation, it could be as simple as the role Richard Pitino envisioned for Joe Coleman was different than the role Tubby Smith had in mind for Joe Coleman. Speaking to Joe Coleman in particular, I believe I've read that he's one of the harder workers on the team in regards to being in the gym working on his game during his free time.

I hope Joe ends up remaining with the team. There are guys on the roster who wouldn't be a loss if they left (and some who would actually be doing the Coach a favor), but Joe isn't one of those guys.

Completely agree. In this situation, it could be as simple as the role Richard Pitino envisioned for Joe Coleman was different than the role Tubby Smith had in mind for Joe Coleman. Speaking to Joe Coleman in particular, I believe I've read that he's one of the harder workers on the team in regards to being in the gym working on his game during his free time.

I hope Joe ends up remaining with the team. There are guys on the roster who wouldn't be a loss if they left (and some who would actually be doing the Coach a favor), but Joe isn't one of those guys.

+1

Coleman could end up staying. People are acting like he's already declared he's transferring. He could just be looking to see how he fits into the scheme of things next year and what Coach Pitino's plan for him is.

I'm late to the club, but wow the speculation is out of control.

Just took to twitter. Wow this is bad news. I like Joe and his work ethic. Gonna totally miss this guy.

No need to bash the kid. He doesn't want to play for Pitino for whatever reason, and that's his right to leave. Pitino didn't recruit him and he has the choice to leave. Good luck to Joe wherever he lands.

Yep, I won't bash Joe Coleman. I understand people change their minds and things change. It doesn't say anything bad about him or anything (if it did, why would any of us want any of these transfers we hear of (Black, Smith, etc.)).

However, I do question his logic. I can only guess that this has something to do with him seeing the writing on the wall that he'll likely come off the bench next season. If this little fact changes everything for Joe Coleman, I think he needs to see the big picture. He'll still get a ton of minutes, he'll get to play in an up and down system and he'll have a terrific chance to start next season (when Austin graduates). This season, Joe would for sure be in that second wave of players off the bench and I doubt his minutes would drop drastically. If it's all because he doesn't get the recognition of a "starter", that's pride f'ing with him (Marcellus Wallace). I don't think he'll find a better situation. Here, he doesn't have to sit out, he'll get plenty of PT, he'll get to play in a fast paced team with a guard dominated offense and he'll start the following season.

1. None of us should speculate on why Coleman is meeting with Pitino, and if he does transfer, we should not speculate on why unless you've spoke to him personally. It could be a number of reasons. Maybe as an 18 year old, he wants to get out of MN and live somewhere else to see what it is like. Maybe he doesn't like the new system. Regardless, the shots at his personality need to stop.
2. How come when a player transfers to MN, this board rationalizes it, but when a player leaves MN, we bash him and say he is a diva. Double standard?
3. Coleman progressed last year, plays strong, and plays solid D, but if he can't develop a better 3pt shot, he just can't spread the floor as much as I speculate Pitino would like from a 2 guard.
4. If he does leave, I hope we lock up Malik and offer Macura tomorrow.

Yep, I won't bash Joe Coleman. I understand people change their minds and things change. It doesn't say anything bad about him or anything (if it did, why would any of us want any of these transfers we hear of (Black, Smith, etc.)).

However, I do question his logic. I can only guess that this has something to do with him seeing the writing on the wall that he'll likely come off the bench next season. If this little fact changes everything for Joe Coleman, I think he needs to see the big picture. He'll still get a ton of minutes, he'll get to play in an up and down system and he'll have a terrific chance to start next season (when Austin graduates). This season, Joe would for sure be in that second wave of players off the bench and I doubt his minutes would drop drastically. If it's all because he doesn't get the recognition of a "starter", that's pride f'ing with him (Marcellus Wallace). I don't think he'll find a better situation. Here, he doesn't have to sit out, he'll get plenty of PT, he'll get to play in a fast paced team with a guard dominated offense and he'll start the following season.

Had to post this because it might be my favorite scene of the movie.

I'm going to live in denial until this is official. We've been on such a good streak of good news this off season between football and basketball. This sucks.

1. None of us should speculate on why Coleman is meeting with Pitino ???

So we should just ignore the person who started the thread that said he heard it from AAU coaches and Doogie-boys tweet that someone was looking to transfer?

D'okay, you are on the wrong site.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow...so this is what we get when we fire Tubby.....our recruits leave and now we lose Coleman. Program is in great shape...this is BS!

Iowa State, Santa Clara, other ideas?

Although ISU would be odd considering they canceled his visit the week prior to him coming.

Top Bottom