Transfer risks?

burton34

Reaction score
Has anyone heard any rumors on potential transfers from the current freshman and sophomore class? Hopefully, we can win 2-3 more games and leave a good taste in their mouths to minimize any flight risks. Thanks for you input.

I have no idea, but not sure why any of them would want to transfer - at least for reasons visible to a fan. They all play a lot. They have long leashes when they play. They are given leadership roles. They have all improved over time this year. The incoming recruiting class looks good. The future is bright. Isn't it?

Has anyone heard any rumors on potential transfers from the current freshman and sophomore class? Hopefully, we can win 2-3 more games and leave a good taste in their mouths to minimize any flight risks. Thanks for you input.

I'll make up my own rumors....

My best guess is:
Gaston
Buggs

That's it.
Those two are the only two players that see the floor that don't look happy.

If I had to pick a Freshman that I would bet on transferring I guess it would be Dorsey. He had the suspension earlier in the year and hasn't had the impact maybe some might expect from a top-100 recruit. I hope he doesnt leave because I think he can be a really good contributor for the next 3 years even if it means he doesn't ever start. He'll play 20-plus minutes a night either way and he's shown flashes of being a capable contributor.

I think the concensus hope is that Gaston leaves for a couple reasons. One is that he doesn't play anyways and has yet to show any sort of high-major material, and two is that his open scholarship would be huge for that 2017 class. It would be nice if they both left this offseason and we could hit the Grad Transfer market, pick up a couple guys who can contribute for a year and still be able to offer scholarships to the Champlin kids, or whoever else they would like in the future.

I don't think we should be at any risk at this point. Since Pitino has gotten here Josh Martin and Wally Ellenson moved on due to playing time and Daquan McNeil and Zac Lofton left because they couldn't follow the rules or law. Joe Coleman was the only one who probably would have played decent minutes and had his head on straight that left.

As long as these guys don't get into trouble, don't have family issues pop up which would warrant a transfer (Paul Carter in Tubby's years), and continue to work heard, they will all see solid minutes and be big contributors in their roles

If I had to pick a Freshman that I would bet on transferring I guess it would be Dorsey. He had the suspension earlier in the year and hasn't had the impact maybe some might expect from a top-100 recruit. I hope he doesnt leave because I think he can be a really good contributor for the next 3 years even if it means he doesn't ever start. He'll play 20-plus minutes a night either way and he's shown flashes of being a capable contributor.

I think the concensus hope is that Gaston leaves for a couple reasons. One is that he doesn't play anyways and has yet to show any sort of high-major material, and two is that his open scholarship would be huge for that 2017 class. It would be nice if they both left this offseason and we could hit the Grad Transfer market, pick up a couple guys who can contribute for a year and still be able to offer scholarships to the Champlin kids, or whoever else they would like in the future.

I see a 0% chance Dorsey is averaging 20 minutes next year unless he beats out mason or mcbrayer. He's going to be competing for minutes his entire career. Could transfer to a different program that doesn't have an entrenched guard ahead of him and 2 other combo guards with more upside next to him.

Between the 1-2-3 positions there are a bunch of people vying for those 60 minutes.m

That all said I don't think he transfers. He likely thinks and possibly will beat someone out for those minutes. He could possibly not start but still get the bigger share at the 1 slot depending on how rotations work out at the 2-3

Edit: my math sucks. Disregard my % chance

Not to derail the thread but on Dorsey's minutes. I could very easily see Dorsey playing 18-22 mpg next year. Pitino likes to play small and with more guys, they will be able to play more uptempo and press more often.

My guess at a rough rotation would look like this:
PG: Mason 28 mins, Dorsey 12 mins
SG: Coffey 25 mins, Dorsey 10 mins, Dupree 5 mins
SF: Fitz 23 mins, Dupree 17 mins, Buggs (garbage time)
PF: Murphy 28 mins, Curry 12 mins
C: Lynch 22 mins, Konate 12ish mins, Curry the rest

Transfers and picks ups could certainly change that, but its a rough estimate. I'd rather have 7 guys play 20 plus mins than need to rely on 3 or 4 playing 35ish.

Hopefully we have the depth and not enough minutes to go around. Wouldn't that be a heck of a problem to have :D

Konate won't get 12 minutes a game unless Lynch runs into major trouble.He just makes to many mistakes.

I have no idea, but not sure why any of them would want to transfer - at least for reasons visible to a fan. They all play a lot.

They want to play in the tournament and have a shot at winning a conference title, or at least be in hunt. A lot of these players come from high school teams that rarely lost, if at all, and it's a kick in the gut to lose game after game. I think it's expected some might feel it's a sinking ship and decide to get out while the getting is good.

I have no idea why people try to predict playing time(in minutes) next yr for an entire roster.

As far as players at the 1 & 2, there are only 3 scholarship players on the roster right now. Only adding Coffey for next year, and he can also play the 3.

I have no idea why people try to predict playing time(in minutes) next yr for an entire roster.

As far as players at the 1 & 2, there are only 3 scholarship players on the roster right now. Only adding Coffey for next year, and he can also play the 3.

See edit above. My math sucks. Not sure what I was thinking but had a severe brainfart. Had 60 minutes total for those 3 positions....

I have one idea, because it is fun to speculate. More players next year that at least from a glance seem very close talent wise makes for a variety of interesting scenarios.

Lets see Lynch on the floor before we crown him the next Jim Brewer. I hope he is good but we shall see.

+1. Lynch averaged 22.2 mpg for the 3rd place MVC team. He may be good, but he also averaged 6.7 fouls per 40 mins. It's very likely that Konate sees real minutes next year.

Hahaha. We win two in a row and now we are so loaded that players are going to transfer out of concern for PT? Buggs and Diedhou will have challenges seeing the court next year and their transfer would not be unexpected. Perhaps Gilbert is the current freshman with the stiffest competition next year, but makes no sense for him to leave. Same goes for Konate and Dorsey. Konate will be critical to our success (having never seen Lynch play I am not ready to anoint him starter) and Dorsey could very well get 20-25 min next year and be starting PG down the road. We need roster stability; these guys need to stay and make music at the U.

I'd be surprised if any key member of the roster transferred. The main reason guys transfer is for playing time and our freshman and sophomores got a ton of playing time this year. If there is a transfer from among the Mason, Murphy, and McBrayer trio that doesn't involve a serious family matter that would be a major red flag.

Konate won't get 12 minutes a game unless Lynch runs into major trouble.He just makes to many mistakes.

Who else then?. Konate played big minutes this year and has gain experience. Yes it was because we had no one else but same with next year. He will back up lynch.

Who else then?. Konate played big minutes this year and has gain experience. Yes it was because we had no one else but same with next year. He will back up lynch.

No need to play a Center at all times. If Konate improves over the Summer he'll get minutes, but it's not to hard to envision the Gophers going smaller when Lynch sits with Murphy/Curry up front. With 3 guys with better size at the 3 now (Gilbert, Fitzgerald, Coffey), I think going without a traditional center will be fine against most lineups.

No need to play a Center at all times. If Konate improves over the Summer he'll get minutes, but it's not to hard to envision the Gophers going smaller when Lynch sits with Murphy/Curry up front. With 3 guys with better size at the 3 now (Gilbert, Fitzgerald, Coffey), I think going without a traditional center will be fine against most lineups.

I dont disagree with this but still think konate spends more than just mop up minutes backing up lynch. Size is needed in most games in the big ten but that isnt saying going small cant be effective too.

Lynch is a 7 footer who isn't known to be all that athletic. With 40 minutes at the center position he should get around 20-25 minutes there max if you want him to keep up with the other guys. Konate will get some 8-10. The rest should be the small ball lineup of Murphy, Curry, Fitz, Coffey/mcbrayer, mason/Dorsey. Murphy, Curry, Fitz and Coffey would remind me of the old Illinois lineups where they all seemed to be 6'6"-6'8" and you had to look at the numbers to tell them apart.

Those teams were tough.

Good reference to that Illinois team. For my money the Flyin' Illini one of the best college basketball teams that didn't win the title. Pure joy to watch. Gill, Hamilton, Bardo, Anderson, Liberty. ... excellent interchangeable players. I could live with a team like that.

Good reference to that Illinois team. For my money the Flyin' Illini one of the best college basketball teams that didn't win the title. Pure joy to watch. Gill, Hamilton, Bardo, Anderson, Liberty. ... excellent interchangeable players. I could live with a team like that.

Just think, we could roll out:

PG: Coffey - 6'7"
SG: Hurt - 6'6"
SF: Fitz - 6'8"
PF: Murphy - 6'6"
C: Curry - 6'8"

All of these guys can run the floor and board, my only concern would be ball-handling past Amir. Good God they will be fun to watch on the break.

Just think, we could roll out:

PG: Coffey - 6'7"
SG: Hurt - 6'6"
SF: Fitz - 6'8"
PF: Murphy - 6'6"
C: Curry - 6'8"

All of these guys can run the floor and board, my only concern would be ball-handling past Amir. Good God they will be fun to watch on the break.

Four of the five have yet to play a game for the Gophers and 3 of the 5 have yet to play an NCAA game.

Four of the five have yet to play a game for the Gophers and 3 of the 5 have yet to play an NCAA game.

A lot of our current lineups feature 3 players who hadn't played an NCAA game at this time last year. I don't think it's that crazy.

Dorsey is putting up good numbers for a borderline top 100 player. 18min, 6.8 ppg, 1.4 ass. On ESPN, the site I have access to, Dorsey was rated the 31st pg. #30 was T. Carter at Marquette 22min, 5.1ppg, 4.4ass. #32 J. Jenifer 8 mpg for cinn, 2.6ppg, 1.2 ass.

PG: Mason 20 mins, Dorsey 16 mins, 2 Dupree
SG: Dupree 24 mins, Coffey 7 mins, Mason 10
SF: Coffey 20, Fitz 18 mins, , Buggs 2
PF: Murphy 28 mins, Curry 8 mins, Fitz 4
C: Lynch 24 mins, Konate 11 mins, Curry 5

Definitely lots of flexibility in this lineup. Coffey has guard skills with sf size. I have yet to see Pitino play a big lineup so I am putting him at the 3. McBrayer is getting better and will start. As many have said the only question in our lineup next year is possibly 3 pt shooting, which is where someone like Hurt could get some minutes against zones.

Not to derail the thread but on Dorsey's minutes. I could very easily see Dorsey playing 18-22 mpg next year. Pitino likes to play small and with more guys, they will be able to play more uptempo and press more often.

PG: Mason 28 mins, Dorsey 12 mins
SG: Coffey 25 mins, Dorsey 10 mins, Dupree 5 mins
SF: Fitz 23 mins, Dupree 17 mins, Buggs (garbage time)
PF: Murphy 28 mins, Curry 12 mins
C: Lynch 22 mins, Konate 12ish mins, Curry the rest

Lynch is a 7 footer who isn't known to be all that athletic. With 40 minutes at the center position he should get around 20-25 minutes there max if you want him to keep up with the other guys.

Lynch is 6'-9".

Konate will average 12 mpg, min.

Dorsey is putting up good numbers for a borderline top 100 player. 18min, 6.8 ppg, 1.4 ass. On ESPN, the site I have access to, Dorsey was rated the 31st pg. #30 was T. Carter at Marquette 22min, 5.1ppg, 4.4ass. #32 J. Jenifer 8 mpg for cinn, 2.6ppg, 1.2 ass.

PG: Mason 20 mins, Dorsey 16 mins, 2 Dupree
SG: Dupree 24 mins, Coffey 7 mins, Mason 10
SF: Coffey 20, Fitz 18 mins, , Buggs 2
PF: Murphy 28 mins, Curry 8 mins, Fitz 4
C: Lynch 24 mins, Konate 11 mins, Curry 5

Definitely lots of flexibility in this lineup. Coffey has guard skills with sf size. I have yet to see Pitino play a big lineup so I am putting him at the 3. McBrayer is getting better and will start. As many have said the only question in our lineup next year is possibly 3 pt shooting, which is where someone like Hurt could get some minutes against zones.

Where would you put Gilbert in this mix?

Where would you put Gilbert in this mix?

Yep next year there will be a lot of competition for playing time compared to previous years for the gophers. Not surprised to see Pitino working the 2017 class like he has 2 or 3 scholarships to hand out. We just might end up needing a spring recruit or 2 in 2017's class.

We are also 2-13 and were 0-13.

The all 6'6" to 6'8" lineup would only get somewhere around 6-10 minutes per game. So I wouldn't get too worked up about the inexperience level.

Top Bottom