Tracy MN OL Tony Nelson commits

Apparently runs the 100m in track. Must scoot a bit. Interesting prospect. I’ve read of his high ceiling and great athleticism.

Congrats to the young man! He chose wisely.

It looks like he could play OT or DT. How many HS linemen can run 100M in track? Is that a rarity?

Welcome aboard, Tony!

Hopefully no pissing match in this thread centered around insulting any former Gopher lineman from years past. 🤫

Interesting pickup. Will be curious to see how he gets ranked once more sites get evaluations on him. Coaches must see something they like. Welcome aboard.

Congrats for being a Gopher!

Here’s Tony’s 247 Sports page:

Interesting pickup. Will be curious to see how he gets ranked once more sites get evaluations on him. Coaches must see something they like. Welcome aboard.
. This is him as only a sophomore.

Great pickup! What an athlete!
I agree with this, he has to have great potential. I guy I went to college with was from Lake Mills, IA and played with the Stensrud brothers. According to him, the brothers were the biggest and fastest guys on the team. They both had pretty nice NFL careers. I'm excited about Nelson.

Pretty exciting seing this class begin to take shape.

And congrats, Tony! You made a great choice. Welcome to the U!

This is the type of signing you see Wisconsin get and turn into a perennial all Big Ten tackle. Smaller town big, athletic kid who you can mold into a ball player. Very excited to see how he does and very excited with the class so far, every guy is all-in.

Congrats to the young man! He chose wisely.

It looks like he could play OT or DT. How many HS linemen can run 100M in track? Is that a rarity?

A lot CAN run it, but can they run it competitively?

Obviously he will need to put some weight on, but he has the frame for it. Tons of potential there. Welcome aboard!

Good deal. When we get a commit from an outstate recruit, it seems the southern part of the state produces. Tracy, Marshall, Blue Earth, Owatonna, etc.
I know we we have the lineman from Perham, but its been quiet from Duluth, Hibbing, Cambridge, etc. We need a new Nagurski!

Can't hurt, 6'6" frame, can bump up to 310 by the time he's in college. Great get.

This is the type of signing you see Wisconsin get and turn into a perennial all Big Ten tackle. Smaller town big, athletic kid who you can mold into a ball player. Very excited to see how he does and very excited with the class so far, every guy is all-in.

See Tyler Marz. He was the lynchpin behind Springfield winning their basketball championship a few years ago. Went to Wisconsin and had a very nice career. Good to get one of those.

Of all the positions, OL is the one I worry least about the rankings. Now that is not to say I wouldn't be thrilled to land a top ranked O-Line prospect, but there is so much development that goes on with those guys once they get to college.

I look at the Mason years where we rarely brought in a highly regarded offensive lineman but year after year had a really strong Line.

Of all the positions, OL is the one I worry least about the rankings. Now that is not to say I wouldn't be thrilled to land a top ranked O-Line prospect, but there is so much development that goes on with those guys once they get to college.

Agreed. Development >> recruiting when it comes to the OL. I am not sure what to think about our OL development just yet. I would like to see a longer track record before I develop an opinion.

Mr. Deylin, are you paying attention. We would love to have you join us in the boat. I love getting the out-state Minnesota kids.

No rating from 24/7? I hope that's because Covid restricted camps!

And I know Fleck has been criticized for not getting a lot of big time inState guys.

Oh well, the staff knows more than I do.

He’s an 85 on 247.
Yep, just doesn't have a composite rating yet. I think Hoskins was the same way when he committed. Probably going to see more of that in this cycle than in a typical year due to the sites having to play catchup due to COVID.

Could definitely be one of those players that would pick up offers later on in the game. Always nice to get them on board early and then allow the staff to get work done elsewhere.

And a lineman at 6'6" 265lb running the 100 meter? Interesting. He'll need to bulk up a bit....but hopefully that quickness will allow him to move well against opposing ends even after putting on another 40 pounds or so.

Now that is not to say I wouldn't be thrilled to land a top ranked O-Line prospect, but there is so much development that goes on with those guys once they get to college.
Agreed.

He is also the starting Center on the Boys BB team. Missed some time with an ankle injury but he was back last week. Watched part of a game online on Saturday. Nelson appeared to be running the court fairly well and scored a lot of points on short bank shots from the low block.

I understand that he is considered an OT - but, just saying - with his mobility, I could see him being used as a big TE in blocking situations - and could potentially sneak out and catch a few balls. Maybe another Jim Kleinsasser type.

He is also the starting Center on the Boys BB team. Missed some time with an ankle injury but he was back last week. Watched part of a game online on Saturday. Nelson appeared to be running the court fairly well and scored a lot of points on short bank shots from the low block.

I understand that he is considered an OT - but, just saying - with his mobility, I could see him being used as a big TE in blocking situations - and could potentially sneak out and catch a few balls. Maybe another Jim Kleinsasser type.

Sure it will all depend on how he fills out and what the team feels his frame can support weight wise. Recruiting sites are pretty good about projecting players college positions but there are plenty of examples of guys the sites said were going to play one position but who ended up playing something totally different in college.

Top Bottom